The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Dec 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #286 of 606

Quote:
With the 8532 buffers and two single opamps, the combination has a nice open sound and more separation than the stock D12.  Actually, I'm pretty sure it's more than I've heard in a portable amp....even more than the SR71 which is saying something.  Instruments like trumpets and cymbols sound great...better than the stock D12.  

I'm curious. The user HiFlight sells this topkits? How much? Would it be the same if I try to get 2 AD8532 buffers at electronic stores around on my country? I see there are many types  Are they these? http://www.analog.com/en/audiovideo-products/display-driver-electronics/ad8532/products/product.html

I'm really anxious, just today my D12 was shipped to my city after 3 weeks of waiting! It should be soon here!

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #289 of 606
The one from Ibasso look nice, but I can say that I like Qusp's LODs.  They are low profile, rounded and he does something to make the connection fit more snugly. 

Something else you want to be sure of (or it will annoy you to no end), is that the LOD makes the iPhone think that is a "compatible device."  Or, it will keep asking you if you want to put the phone into "Airplane Mode" to "Reduce interference."

Qusp's LODs avoid that, thank goodness.

The Head-Direct for about $45 I returned as it was really stiff and the plastic covering did not look as transparent and nice as it did on the site.

I bought the Nuforce connector and it was pretty big and loose...only for static use. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #290 of 606
Hi Thanks for the info about the lods by Qusp, I think the ibasso lod will be flexible enough. There might be a problem with compatibility but then again, might not. I am also using my iphone with a jbl dock made for the 3gs. on occasion I do get a notification but not often. I do htink qusps lods will be more expansive then ibassos though and if the one by ibasso is ok then I can combine orders. I will send him a pm though. Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #293 of 606
I received both the D12 Topkit and the new Sys.concept cable yesterday.  It is too early for me to try to put into words the definite improvement I hear over the otherwise excellent stock kit and an older 0.5 meter Sys.concept cable, but switching cables I hear a higher resolution of  instrumental sounds with the new cable, more differentiation between timbres.  It is somewhat difficult to put into words, and the effect is subtle but definitely there. 

With the Topkit I hear improved transient response and a wider sound stage (using the jazz / classical opamp). 

I wonder if anyone here has thoughts about a belt case for my H120 / D12 combo.  I have a skin on my H120, but would like more protection for the pair when used as a portable out in public. The Sys.concept cable looks strong, but I'd like not to bump it accidentally.   It would have to be more than a slide-in case, ideally one which both opened up, like a Hippocase, and which gave easy access to the H120's screen and joystick.   I have a bit of skill in leather-working and could perhaps make a one-off, but a stock case would be nice.  TIA.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #294 of 606

Quote:
I wonder if anyone here has thoughts about a belt case for my H120 / D12 combo.  I have a skin on my H120, but would like more protection for the pair when used as a portable out in public. The Sys.concept cable looks strong, but I'd like not to bump it accidentally.   It would have to be more than a slide-in case, ideally one which both opened up, like a Hippocase, and which gave easy access to the H120's screen and joystick.   I have a bit of skill in leather-working and could perhaps make a one-off, but a stock case would be nice.  TIA.

I looked for a long time for a belt case for this combo (originally H140 and D10) and finally found a Tamrac MX5378 lens case used for camera zoom lenses.  Since the optical cable loop faces downward, I placed a piece of foam in the bottom as a spacer so that it does not rest on (and stress) the optical cable.  It's perfect, and I've used the case for over a year now.  Here's what it looks like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/198712-REG/Tamrac_MX537801_MX5378_M_A_S_Lens_Case.html 

You'll have to measure everything up to confirm size.  They make all different sizes of these, and they're well padded with a belt loop.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #295 of 606
I use the toggle remote on the 120 and 140. It was designed for the later iRiver but works excellent with the earlier, and IMO better 120 and 140. It is a true toggle control and is miles ahead of the stock remote but very hard to find. I bought both of mine from a seller in Korea on eBay. They are around 50 dollars but very much worth it because it works just like the toggle on the iRiver but even a little better and the LCD is better than the stock remote. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #297 of 606
If it is the remote for the H3xx, what can it do, and what not?  My H120 was bought used from a Head-fi member, and did not come with a remote.  When I put a remote from an imp-550 on it -- which fits -- I find I cannot go backwards in the file menu more than one level, so that it is pretty useless to chose files other than  ones at the same level in the directory.  Therefore I have not used it.  If the toggle remote preserves all the main playback options of the toggle stick on the body of the H120, then it would be very useful.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #298 of 606
Yes, I think it was for the 340. It is a deluxe version of the stock remote that came with the h120, though I say deluxe only because it is what the one for the 120/140 should have been. Yes you can do everything with it and it doesn't mess up like the stock version that came with the 120, which was a joke. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #300 of 606

Users who are viewing this thread

Back