The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #3,256 of 6,859
Man, aspiring??? you still got PAYING customers who have yet to get the device. Just me, but I'd worry about them and not a rude post you could flag and let the site deal with (delete) if they choose.
July 3rd.

#1 Explain
#2 Apologiize
#3 Fix

#250 worry about impolite posts then use report button

I have been worried literally sick and haven't been able to get out of my bomb shelter or my mailbox for weeks... and by aspiring I meant "aspiring to use our unit (that he received) properly" not "aspiring to receive our unit"

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #3,257 of 6,859
All things said and done, communication is of paramount importance. I am afraid Hiby need a lesson or two on that. If you dont have enough manpower, hire some resources but i implore you to at least communicate with people who are sending you emails etc. I find it highly unprofessional when an email remains unanswered for over 2 days. @Joe Bloggs Honestly i expected better communication.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #3,259 of 6,859
Well I'm glad I am not only one with this issue. It definitely seems to be tied to odd characters. i messed with mp3tag to remove these on maybe 20 files or so , but after you refresh your collection , it will again exhibit this behavior with some other "imperfectly" spelled track/ album. So far i have found it cannot operate properly with ( ..., parentheses, brackets, accents over letters and so on). At 15,000 files it would take a great deal of time to search and correct all of these, so I hope a fix is coming. Had this previously not been discovered? It's a big miss on a music player if the shuffle function does not work properly. @Joe Bloggs can you help pass this issue on?

Yes, I fixed first two files it happened on but gave up then. Going through that many thousand files takes ages.

So for now shuffle on this r3 is not working. Strange error that I never imagined would happen. So for walks its either no shuffle, or the crappy ap60 first gen. I really can pick my daps.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #3,260 of 6,859
Yes, I fixed first two files it happened on but gave up then. Going through that many thousand files takes ages.

So for now shuffle on this r3 is not working. Strange error that I never imagined would happen. So for walks its either no shuffle, or the crappy ap60 first gen. I really can pick my daps.
I feel your pain. I use my dap on walks too. Normally just set shuffle and start walking. It was very frustrating today when i kept playing the same song again and again. Shuffle is a pretty basic function on a music player. Don't know how this was missed. Hopefully it gets addressed soon . Wouldn't seem to take a lot of work to get it to play nice with special characters.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #3,261 of 6,859
So mine arrived.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. Here are some of my brief observations:
1. the max volume level being set to 80 out of 100 was something that I missed. Someone at work was listening and thought it was fairly quiet.

2. Is the gain an actual gain setting? Or is it just dropping the volume digitally by a certain amount?

3. I got DLNA working from JRiver Media Center when I am running the files locally off my machine, but couldn't get it to work when I was connected to a separate network server. I hope I can get this working.

4. It appears that I have to manually tell it to rescan for wireless. At least I don't have to enter the password again.

5. I keep wanting to tap to the right on a music item to close the left sidebar.

6. I really like the "touch to wake" on my iphone and I constantly find myself attempting to touch the screen to get it to wake up.

7. I used an Apple USB-C to USB-A connector and then USB A to micro cable and connected it up to my Mojo and it worked exactly as expected.

8. I get periodic short drop outs on wifi with AirPlay. :frowning2:

Overall, I'm enjoying it... and I have not even had a chance to try out the balanced connectors.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #3,262 of 6,859
I feel your pain. I use my dap on walks too. Normally just set shuffle and start walking. It was very frustrating today when i kept playing the same song again and again. Shuffle is a pretty basic function on a music player. Don't know how this was missed. Hopefully it gets addressed soon . Wouldn't seem to take a lot of work to get it to play nice with special characters.

Found some other bugs: some songs will just skip after halway, or some songs will just play 1-2 sec then skip. I quickly checked jd feedbacks and it was reported on chinese firmware from april.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,263 of 6,859
Not sure if that was mentioned in the thread, how it is as a transport?
Particularly interested in combination with ifi audio idsd micro black label. Does anyone have such a pair?

P.S. My r3 is still somewhere in Hong Kong as per the latest tracking info.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #3,264 of 6,859
Not sure if that was mentioned in the thread, how it is as a transport?
Particularly interested in combination with ifi audio idsd micro black label. Does anyone have such a pair?

P.S. My r3 is still somewhere in Hong Kong as per the latest tracking info.
I am waiting on mine to try that very same pairing.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #3,265 of 6,859
All things said and done, communication is of paramount importance. I am afraid Hiby need a lesson or two on that. If you dont have enough manpower, hire some resources but i implore you to at least communicate with people who are sending you emails etc. I find it highly unprofessional when an email remains unanswered for over 2 days. @Joe Bloggs Honestly i expected better communication.

Your question of returning the R3 stuck in customs for us in Dongguan to resend with redone papers is a very difficult problem for us to answer. I was dealing with a similar case today and was quoted 200USD for retrieving the package from customs and returning it to us from another country.

Of course any notion of turning in a profit from these Kickstarter R3's had gone down the drain the moment we decided to ship the leather cases separately, but this is another level of ridiculous.

Never mind getting crowd"funded"--this Kickstarter campaign may be the undoing of a healthy strong company...

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #3,267 of 6,859
Your question of returning the R3 stuck in customs for us in Dongguan to resend with redone papers is a very difficult problem for us to answer. I was dealing with a similar case today and was quoted 200USD for retrieving the package from customs and returning it to us from another country.

Of course any notion of turning in a profit from these Kickstarter R3's had gone down the drain the moment we decided to ship the leather cases separately, but this is another level of ridiculous.

Never mind getting crowd"funded"--this Kickstarter campaign may be the undoing of a healthy strong company...
I understand the problem and appreciate the reply. All this wouldn't have come to play if Hiby did not declare 2 separate values on the AWB and the invoice. So i was merely requesting for some work-around. I had no idea it would cost $200 to return the package. All i am asking for is communication.. this has nothing to do with kickstarter or the device itself. I would certainly have liked to see any suggestions from you rather than an adversarial tone. I would also take this opportunity to request you to kindly understand that the package is stuck at customs because "Hiby declared different values on the AWB and the invoice". If you are suggesting my question is ridiculous, then i really cant do much about it as this ridiculous problem was initiated by Hiby's lack of competence.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #3,268 of 6,859
I understand the problem and appreciate the reply. All this wouldn't have come to play if Hiby did not declare 2 separate values on the AWB and the invoice. So i was merely requesting for some work-around. I had no idea it would cost $200 to return the package. All i am asking for is communication.. this has nothing to do with kickstarter or the device itself. I would certainly have liked to see any suggestions from you rather than an adversarial tone. I would also take this opportunity to request you to kindly understand that the package is stuck at customs because "Hiby declared different values on the AWB and the invoice". If you are suggesting my question is ridiculous, then i really cant do much about it as this ridiculous problem was initiated by Hiby's lack of competence.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with you personally. Just a bit of venting at the wrong place. We did indeed declare the same value to our agent, it was mysteriously changed to the mismatching one on the actual package...

Last edited:

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #3,269 of 6,859
I have had my R3 now for a couple of days and compared it a little bit with my Caynin N3 and Chord Mojo.

Speed, user interface and the display are a huge step up from the Cayin N3!
The Cayin N3 works as designed, but it's simply cumbersome to use the capacitive buttons.
To make the N3 more or less user friendly I use the HiBy App, but it doesn't support cover art and the BT connection is sometimes hard to establish.
The R3 screen is much brighter with much better colors, and the touch operation is a huge step up.
Mostly it works fine, but scrolling with the A-Z bar is a little tricky and can be slow with a long list (especially cover art loading)
Also the MSEB and equalizer are not always resposive, especially double-tapping the MSEB sliders to reset them often doesn't work.

Very quick sound impressions:
Soundwise the N3 has a clearer and brighter sigature that sounds a little more detailed at first, but also slightly rough edged.
The R3 sounds fuller, smoother, cleaner and warmer. Both have impactful bass, the R3 even more so than the N3.
When I say clean I mean lack of roughness, but maybe at the price of giving up some detail. I feel the R3 has a little better basic DAC abilitiy compared to the N3, and simply presents it in a different way, but still veiled compared to the Mojo.

Compared to the Mojo, the R3 with it's smooth signature is closer, but Mojo is of course much more open, free, spacious. It feels as if the veil is lifted, a weight is taken off the chest and the music is released to flow freely. (pardon that non-objective description, but it's simply what I feel) Mojo has a lighter bass though, I suppose closer to the "original" sound as recorded/mastered.
Mojo has a clarity which comes from very clean sound without any roughness or artificial sharpness. Edges are more defined, but always smooth. It just sounds more natural and analog.

One interesting impression was that with High-Res recordings the R3 sounded closer to Mojo, while with standard 44/16 FLAC the difference was bigger.

I also tried MESB on the R3 but didn't like it, as it sounded quite artificial to me. It's an interesting gimmick but for me the standard settings sounded better.

Value:
Putting the R3 in perspective to the N3 and Mojo I think it is a good value at MSRP and a great value at Kickstarter price.
The Cayin N3 is also a good value at street prices (130€) and Mojo is a great value as well at €400, but a different price and quality class altogether.

PLEASE TAKE THIS WITH MORE THAN A GRAIN OF SALT, IT'S MY INITIAL IMPRESSIONS AND I AM NOT A SEASONED HEADPHONE AUDIOPHILE
Compared with AudioQuest NightHawks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back