The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #3,271 of 6,859
IMG_20180703_210807-01.jpeg

Finally it arrives. Initial impressions....
Compared to my Sabaj DA3 which has a ES9018Q2M, the R3 tonality is on the warmer side. Single ended 3.5mm output sounds lifeless (sounds duller than my Nexus 6p phone). Listening through the balanced 2.5mm output and the music comes alive. The MSEB tone controls are fun to tweak with but it's difficult to fine tune it because of the user interface (UI). Using the slider to set a tone back to 0 proves to be major challenge. May I suggest to implement a "left and right" button to increment and decrement by 1. UI in general is fast and easy to navigate. I wish there was a fast way to go back to the "current playing" screen from any view in the UI. Has enough power to drive my Grado sr325 (single ended) and iems. My most favorite feature of this player is the Hibylink feature and slim form factor. Got this device mainly as a transport for my Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 but haven't tested it yet. Currently liking it and I can see this little guy becoming part of my everyday carry item. Great product.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #3,272 of 6,859
:)
Was having issues getting wifi to update fw to work at home for some reason so took a 128g cd with 15 g of iTunes [until I can get Hi-Res on it] & quickly went to local cafe & Wi-Fi so updated fw

Try standing really close to your router to hook up. Once linked it should work Ok.
Had the same issue with mine.
I found that distance when connecting first time was the issue.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #3,273 of 6,859
Try standing really close to your router to hook up. Once linked it should work Ok.
Had the same issue with mine.
I found that distance when connecting first time was the issue.

V, thx but as usual my own stupid fault.!

Recently upgraded to Unlimited Ultra Hi Speed so as I rarely have occasion to input my password at home I obviously defaulted to old habits of inputting people for old wifi not new hi speed, so after I came back from caf I realized the issue re: ‘My Stupid Brain’ needs resetting.!

Anyhow it’s working as it should, so far so good but a number of software/user interface bugs exist but the sound with existing music with my 3 high end :) is very satisfying & expect that to exponentially increase with HiRes files I’m going to add sooner than later, so sound wise I’m very happy.!

Size os great small enough & light enough, grey looks great so aside from the shipping bollocks as expected I’m loving the R3.’

Plenty of GR8 Craft:cheese:Beer for all those anally intentive complainers that wanted to quash the subject of the BLACK:japanese_ogre:WYCH.! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #3,275 of 6,859
I finally have some time to sit and listen to the HiBy R3.

It's HiBy R3 -> The Black Crowe 'Three Snakes and One Charm' -> LZ-A4's (Black back filter / gunmetal grey front filter) and the results are spectacular!

Wow - it's time for me to go to bed. I have a busy day coming up (includes driving a 28' Cigarette racing boat at 80 mph - woe is me :D ).

Happy 4th everyone! :)

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #3,276 of 6,859
Man, aspiring??? you still got PAYING customers who have yet to get the device. Just me, but I'd worry about them and not a rude post you could flag and let the site deal with (delete) if they choose.
July 3rd.

#1 Explain
#2 Apologiize
#3 Fix

#250 worry about impolite posts then use report button

That's what I did b4 posting here. Overall, people are smart enough to stay patient; even better when a fair number of us started encouraging each other to be positive.

The negative nancy type just gets called out. The dude with fat fingers must've missed your R6 video.

How does one who nagged for waiting, then continues to nag after getting it because it came as advertised... like What?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,277 of 6,859
:)
Finally received my R3 [mid #12xx’s] yesterday mid aft [wont rehash the shipping debacle.!] & went to charge it was 92/93% charged so topped it off.
Was having issues getting wifi to update fw to work at home for some reason so took a 128g cd with 15 g of iTunes [until I can get Hi-Res on it] & quickly went to local cafe & Wi-Fi so updated fw & spent a few hrs listening to all genres of music on my Denon AH-D7200:) with high end DragonGlass cables from HiveMind.

Then wet home & tried connecting to my home wifi.
Guess what, was using an old pw duh, so obviously it wouldn’t connect.!

Anyhow switched headphone to my Focal Elear fro a few hrs then to my Audioquest NighHawks & you know what, although only listening to iTunes on all 3:) it sounded damn fine [obviously depending on the original recording.] and I’ve liited the vol to 85 & listing at a vol between 49, 56 & 69 low gain so it drive all three:) easily & when switched hi gain on just juiced it up that much more & no 8 ball or EQ involved either.
That is listening to everything from large mass orchestrated power works like Beethoven’s 9th esp the Ode Finale, Orff’s Carmina Burana & sublime Delibes: Lakme: Flower Duet as light soft works as well.

Jazz, blues, r&b/soul, pop, country, world music, metal, rock n roll, rock & everything in between the sound given the constraints of what I’m listening to sounds great so can only imagine HR files.

Not burned in at all only about 12 hrs+ onnit so will give it a full week-2 weeks like all else I buy & use before o fully settle in for long days & nights of immersive listening pleasure.!

Found the software/ui pretty good but some buggy annoyances as well hopefully they get ironed out soon, fingers crossed that’s it for that.

Small & light enough, grey looks great.

Really like the clear plastic hard case [whites kinda ugly with a black or grey R3, should made black instead of white.] & so glad I didn’t order the leather one.

So with case on it’s very pocketable & I have a lot of small ‘fits just right’ cases/bags etc from travel nice & other electronics so no shortage of carry options for it either.

The next few days I’ll give the BT a try with my Focal Listen Wireless:) & end of Aug when I get my ORA Graphene Q BT:) I’ll be set.!

So all in all until I get my HR files on it, with all 3 of my sweet :) it’s going to be a fun summer listening to some great tunes.!

All I need is more :)music & more GR8 Craft:beer:Beer, can never have too much of either.!

:):iphone:

Glad you got yours fridge.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,278 of 6,859
Not sure if that was mentioned in the thread, how it is as a transport?
Particularly interested in combination with ifi audio idsd micro black label. Does anyone have such a pair?

P.S. My r3 is still somewhere in Hong Kong as per the latest tracking info.

R3 works pretty well as a transport, but there's an interesting thing:
I am using with with the Cord Mojo, with 2 different cables, the Shaling L2 USB-C to Mirco-USB cable and the HiBy USB-C to 3,5mm coax cable.

The output with the coax cable is depending on the volume setting of the R3, and even at 100 the Mojo's output volume is lower than with the Shanling L2 cable.
Mojo output is not influenced by volume setting with the Shanling cable.
Both cables are affected by Equalizer or MSEB settings.

I also have the impression that the sound is affected by the cable choice, but I am not sure, and that difference might as well come from the Mojo...

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #3,279 of 6,859
Glad you got yours fridge.

Thx, it’s not so much the convoluted journey I was expecting but the end result I was.

From previous implements of R6 I was expecting similar experience with theR3’ so not surprised too much

Over all aside from the shipping debacle nightmare the end product itself R3 is an excellent value bang for the buck as we say.!

So Thank You Hiby for the R3.!!!

Please Please Please Fix Your Next Campaign.!!!

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #3,280 of 6,859

Compared to my Sabaj DA3 which has a ES9018Q2M, the R3 tonality is on the warmer side. Single ended 3.5mm output sounds lifeless (sounds duller than my Nexus 6p phone). Listening through the balanced 2.5mm output and the music comes alive. The MSEB tone controls are fun to tweak with but it's difficult to fine tune it because of the user interface (UI). Using the slider to set a tone back to 0 proves to be major challenge. May I suggest to implement a "left and right" button to increment and decrement by 1. UI in general is fast and easy to navigate. I wish there was a fast way to go back to the "current playing" screen from any view in the UI. Has enough power to drive my Grado sr325 (single ended) and iems. My most favorite feature of this player is the Hibylink feature and slim form factor. Got this device mainly as a transport for my Chord Mojo and Hugo 2 but haven't tested it yet. Currently liking it and I can see this little guy becoming part of my everyday carry item. Great product.
Nice photo.

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #3,281 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs / @fanoble

My R3s arrived yesterday and I tested both for some time.
I am good with SQ but there are too many issues to use them for now.. waiting for an updated firmware to be happy to use them again
This is the outcome, can you answer these please?:

Issues and questions (only on both devices, the other issues seem to be device specific):
1. is the GAIN setting real gain? or just pushing up or lowering the output level via software and is the impedance altered between both gain settings?
2. Will it be included to support embedded lyrics and album arts? or do I need to pull all information into files for my complete library?
3. can you pleasde fix the issue that the clock resets to its initial timezone then and when, e.g. when entering a menu?
4. Loading of the artworks takes qbout 2 secs when scrolling down,.. and again when scrolling up. that is disturbing, is there a way to cache or preload them?
5. I need manual.. I do not know what many items of the options really mean and I do not see an effect on some, when is a manual planned?
6. up to date players can connect to two devices to play music to them via bt5, eg BT-Speakers. is bluetooth 5 planned?
7. Wireless LAN can not be connected to WLANs that are not broadcasting SSID, although there is an option to manually insert the SSID and Password..I have secure not broadcasted ssids:frowning2:
8. During Bluetooth playback you cannot exit the playscreen without disconnecting from bluetooth, so no equalizer MSEB or system settings can be made.. why?
9. I cannot select the Bluetooth codec to be used, will this be implemented? for some devices this is neccessary.
10. sporadic freezes in the menu occur for no obvious reason, is this known?
11. After reboot is starts into bluetooth receiving mode is this works as designed? I would assume it should go into the standard music overview interface. (it started doing this after configuring bluetooth once.
12. DSD files of 1,2 GB Sample rate 1822.4, 6Channels, Bitrate 16934kbps are not playable. break every 0,5 second.!!!
13. pressing an option in the settings menu sometimes throws one off to the basic screen.

Which of these things are being fixed in the next firmware upgrade. and.. you have an idea when it will come?

Nice to have requests:
1 can we setup a background wallpaper at some time?

Good Stuff:
the playback SQ is really good for this size, I really enjoy it.
The MSEB is working gorgeous, I am not a fan of Equalizers but.. wow.
playback is quick and reaction time on the screen is perfect for me.
edit: I forgot about the display.. the display is gorgeous! no hoghlights, no dark areas, just allover bright and wow :)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #3,282 of 6,859

Using the slider to set a tone back to 0 proves to be major challenge. May I suggest to implement a "left and right" button to increment and decrement by 1.

Double tapping the slider button brings it back to 0, although i have to admit it isn't always easy to find the right spot, especially with the lowest slider.

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #3,283 of 6,859

i also felt the single ended 3.5mm sound kinda boring(or too safe)..but it opens up eventually or maybe i got used to them, another trick i use to make them sound more engaging is to turn on the MSEB on WITHOUT changing any settings..just turn them on, but i don't need that trick everytime and it really depends on the IEM/headphone

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #3,285 of 6,859
i also felt the single ended 3.5mm sound kinda boring(or too safe)..but it opens up eventually or maybe i got used to them, another trick i use to make them sound more engaging is to turn on the MSEB on WITHOUT changing any settings..just turn them on, but i don't need that trick everytime and it really depends on the IEM/headphone

ok i just tried Grado ige IEM on the single ended and it sounded just fine(actually great for metal:)) , and my first test was with hifiman RE00 which is harder to drive IEM.

I guess want i wanna say the single ended 3.5mm in R3 is pretty weak and hard to drive IEM would be better through balanced output instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back