The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #136 of 6,859
Just discovered this thread and this exciting upcoming little Player Wow, usb audio out, DSD256, PCM384!! Just the mate my iFi micro idsd has been waiting for. Currently using a Fiio X5ii which has coax out but the micro doesn't play DSD via coax. I am very psyched for this.
What is the projected price point for this?? The usb audio out is the thing I've been looking for. Has the usb port type (mini, micro, type C) been defined?

I am fairly excited as well. I believe it is a USB-C style connection. There is information on some other websites that I believe confirms this.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #137 of 6,859
Thanks iJay.........you must like iFi!

Oh, that new USB C type. I wonder if anybody makes an audio grade USB C type cable. The ifi micro idsd is odd in that its USB input port is type A-male. It was made for the Apple Lightning cable. I have a couple Forza Audioworks made adapters that can change it to either female B or female A. Time to start looking.

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #138 of 6,859
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #139 of 6,859
This is all I found as yet:
http://www.audioquest.com/usb-optical-adaptors/usb-a-to-c-adaptor
That would be a string of adapters for me so far.

And here is a dead thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-3-1-type-c-will-change-our-world.751103/

Must be something good out there. I only see charging cables and that adapter.......we got time. Somebody will be making them.

You may want to look at the Cayin N3 and Shanling threads. I believe they all have USB-C connections with bi-directional audio. You’re bound to find some info there.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #140 of 6,859
Get a USB Type C OTG adapter cable. The OTG socket will plug right into your iFi "port". :) It doesn't have to be an audiophile cable if noone makes an audiophile cable of this sort--no amount of audiophilia can make up for having to go through another adapter :lol:

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #141 of 6,859
Get a USB Type C OTG adapter cable. The OTG socket will plug right into your iFi "port". :) It doesn't have to be an audiophile cable if noone makes an audiophile cable of this sort--no amount of audiophilia can make up for having to go through another adapter :lol:
Oh, that new USB C type. I wonder if anybody makes an audio grade USB C type cable.
I use this little thing here to connect my Cayin N3 to my iFi micro iDSD BL, works like a charm, $2.24 at Gearbest: https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_493613.html

Attachments

• OTG USB c.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #143 of 6,859
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #144 of 6,859
Looks great. I will order. Thanks, Jeffhawke. I'm tempted to get the Cayin now that I see it..........however the R3 should be a step up and worth waiting for.
Definitely a step up, as a DAP (I'm considering it myself). As a pure transport, the N3 works seamlessly when connected to the micro iDSD and remote controlled by the amazing HiBy Link from the phone, a feature that I'm pretty sure the R3 should have as well.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #145 of 6,859
My question is when is this little beauty going to become available! There are a couple of new toys I would like but I’m holding off to get this one. Form and function seems to be very nice for the price. Any word?

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #146 of 6,859
My question is when is this little beauty going to become available! There are a couple of new toys I would like but I’m holding off to get this one. Form and function seems to be very nice for the price. Any word?

im also wondering when will this DAP will be released... COME ON HIBY!! gives us anything :p
im very tempted to get hidiz ap60 pro from massdrop(only 80$!)..but hiby R3 stopping me from doing that purchase

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #147 of 6,859
I am hoping that a future firmware update will add Spotify if not present when the R3 launches. I listen to both Tidal and Spotify about equally.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #148 of 6,859
I am hoping that a future firmware update will add Spotify if not present when the R3 launches. I listen to both Tidal and Spotify about equally.

I have used Tidal on the R3, but I don't think Spotify was mentioned anywhere, but let's hope it shows up one day

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #150 of 6,859
Is the audio quality noticeably better using WiFi tidal on r3 compared to streaming it from a smartphone via Bluetooth?
Generally speaking, wifi is better than bluetooth, as it does not use any compression, while bluetooth uses a codec (code/decode) which results in more or less lossy compression, depending on the actual codec used (SBC, aptx or aptxHD) by the device. Bear in mind that if two paired devices use different codecs, the more "lossy" one prevails. So, if you have access to wifi, your streaming will sound better on a good high resolution device such as the R3 than with bluetooth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back