The HEADSIX, a Head-Fi support sales-action
Jan 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #586 of 917
I received a new amp from Jan and updated my post/review several pages back. Suffice it to say the new one functions flawlessly. Thanks Jan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rich

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #587 of 917
who else thinks that when using Grados, it gets really loud at the lowest setting?

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #589 of 917
If you feel it's too loud on the lowest setting just change to low gain per the instructions provided in the manual (basically open it up, slide the unit out, from the case, and remove the two jumpers). I've tried it both ways with my SR-60s and can't really decide which is better.

You'll have more fine control over the volume (including a lower volume with the knob all the way down) but I can't get over the feeling that it might sound a touch better in high gain. Either way it's not significant. Just adjust the gain to your preference and enjoy!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the signature, I recieved mine at work so I don't know. The first amp took 10 days and the second one 11 days to Reno, NV.

Rich

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #591 of 917
Mine took only 10 days to arrive here in Washington State, and no signature was required, by Dr. Meier or the USPS.

Feb 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #593 of 917
got my headsix today. i will give review of experience later, so far, pleased...can someone recommend the best way to power this thing up? i see there are some mentions in the manual, but i don't want to blow this thing but i want to give it some power? would i benefit from using the 9v and charging it with an ac? what volatage, etc? any tips would be appreciated. thanks.
oh yeah, so it says not to use an ac power supply or an unregulated supply--can someone elaborate on this? so i guess i can't use my ac adaptor that i use for my external harddrive although it is 12vs?

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #594 of 917
I use an AC with mines, the battery is not even in there and it works really well. Came with AC that I bought from the original owner from Radioshack.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #595 of 917
There is no charging circuit in the amp. It will use the battery current if its less than the supplied DC voltage so its recommended to keep it above 10v if you don't want it to use battery power when plugged in.

The manual says the supply voltage should not exceed 12v so you will need a regulated AC/DC supply as an unregulated one might have voltage spikes that go beyond 12v and can potenailly burn the amp..

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #596 of 917
I am sitting here really being blessed by my desktop system and the Headsix was the final ingredient that brought the magic. I do not use my Headsix for headphone applications, although I will when I travel. I work in Security and I am able to set up a nice desktop system that I can play loud quite often. The Headsix was my final piece of the puzzle to make this system really sing. I am using it as a preamp for my Ipod Video. Now I know this site is about headphone listening but I am sure all you headphone addicts out there also have great hifi's, car stereos, computer sound systems and the like and I want to share something for all the feedback you gave me that had me buy the Headsix. Hopefully you will find something in here that will enhance your hifi life. My source for the desktop system is an Ipod with a Dakiom feedback stabilizer coming out of the headphone out and of course I use Apple Lossless. Now I know the direct out is supposed to be better but I need the ability to change the sound quickly. Anyways, I use these Dakiom devices in almost all my stereo systems as they do a great job of cleaning up solid state equipment. You can find these at Dakiom.com. So out of the Dakiom, I went into a Musical Fidelity X3 tube buffer. Tubes to me are an essential ingredient to get a natural harmonically rich presentation but you also need solid state for that ultimate punch. From the X3, I go into a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers. Just excellent sound quality for the size and price but definitely a bit weak for bass. 2.5 inch woofers. So out of the A2's, with another Dakiom stabilizer, I go into a Pinnacle Subcompact 6 subwoofer, which is clean and dynamic and small!! A very nice sounding system without the Headsix, but the volume maxed out on the Ipod too often and even with the subwoofer, there was something missing. For fun, I brought a cheap DVD player to work to use as a CD player to see how that would sound. The main advantage it had over the Ipod was higher gain which produced a more dynamic sound. Thus the search for a portable headamp/preamp. Obviously, I picked the Headsix and it's great. I added it to the system and everything became fuller and more dynamic. I had burned it in with one battery and I have had it for about 5 weeks. Now the revelation that happened today! When I am at one of my posts I do not have the X3 tube buffer available to me and although the sound was enjoyable, I missed the harmonic richness. Not so today! Evidently the Headsix has burned in enough to give me a smoothness and richness that was not there before and the sound is now great! So thank you for your posts that helped me to find the final piece of my system.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #597 of 917
I too, use mine as a preamp for my otherwise weak setup (with just my MZ-NH700 set to 20/30 on the volume scale hooked up to my SRS-Z750 or vintage SRS-67 travel speakers), that this powerful unit brings out the detail in my Hi-MD's that only a true line out could bring, and then some, because I am also using the built-in EQ on my unit to go with it.

Yes, fellow Head-Fi users, I do every once in a while use it for headphones too but considering that the majority of my cans/IEM's are 40 ohms (MDR-NC60) or less (except for my Senn HD420's at 600 ohms), I found that even though my Walkman only puts out 5 mW (thank God I don't own a Euro-crippled unit!) that sometimes the direct (built-in) amp will suffice.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #598 of 917
Is there any way to fix the channel imbalance of the volume potentiometer at low positions?

It really annoys me, since I'm listening at very low volume most of the time (and turning down the source volume isn't the same, it sounds worse than turning down the Headsix). I wish the potentiometer would be a little better...

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #599 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to fix the channel imbalance of the volume potentiometer at low positions?

It really annoys me, since I'm listening at very low volume most of the time (and turning down the source volume isn't the same, it sounds worse than turning down the Headsix). I wish the potentiometer would be a little better...

Do you have the Headsix set for low gain and still have a problem with the volume?

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #600 of 917
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimlb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the Headsix set for low gain and still have a problem with the volume?

Yes, it's on low gain already. My Cowon D2 is set to volume 34 (of 50), which seems to be the best compromise of sound quality, battery life, and volume level.

To overcome the channel imbalance of the Headsix I have to lower the D2's volume to level ~15. But then it doesn't sound as good as level 34. My Headsix has only sound on the right channel on the first few millimeters of the volume potentiometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back