The "Headphones That Significantly Perform Above Their Price Point Thread"
Sep 2, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #91 of 106
Quote:
If you ignore the extra cost for the special amplifier, any vintage Lambda will blow anything around it in its price range out of the water by miles.

That's a pretty big "if".

While the amp cost is pretty low if you've got a speaker amp to drive the usual SRD-6 or SRD-7 variant with, a good 'stat amp on the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro or SRM-T1 level is going to run you anywhere from $350 to $650. And it's not like you can just plug them into a typical source with reduced performance, either; it's physically impossible.

It's for those reasons that I consider Lambda-series Stax more in the $700-800 range, if taking the direct-drive amp route. Likewise, I'd consider the typical AKG 70x and any other demanding dynamics like that in its price range more like $500.

Quote:
I think this thread is getting side tracked a little?  I see guys talking about HD600/650's, Mad-Dogs etc?
The thread is " Punching way above"
HD600's + 650's  are what $300-$400- Do they beat Stax, and sets like that? No, That's Punching above their weight.  They are at the TOP of their class for sure but don't really punch above.  And Maddogs are a special item of a $90 headphone "With Mods applied"  I guess they punch above but the regular headphone at $90 doesn't. It's actual is a bad headphone without the mods.

Punching above to me is a lower cost Can that hangs with the big boys-The HD650's etc...just my thoughts
biggrin.gif

Well, this sort of thing is where it gets fuzzy when taking personal preferences into account.

I'm trying to decide if the MA900 deserves to be mentioned here. At any rate, I like it much better than the HE-400, which is a much more expensive set and technically proficient in a lot of ways (none of them involving midrange/vocals, unfortunately). Same for the SR-202. But I don't like it more than the SR-Lambda, which is also over twice the price.

However, the MA900 sounds good enough to where I'd feel comfortable enough having it as my only headphone if I ever find myself having to sell off my Stax setup.

Does that mean the MA900 really does punch above their weight, albeit not enough to touch vintage Stax, or just that the HE-400 and modern Stax are overpriced IMO and the MA900 at the $110-200 range is right where it belongs?

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #93 of 106
  UE6000

currently $99 in Aus, I think they were $89 in USA. Love mine (with their flaws)

+1 to the UE6000s at $99.  They're a fun, high-value headphone.

The V-Moda M80s (recently at $40) also fit this bill...

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #95 of 106
My friend is looking for M80... Where did you get the $40 deal? @.@

it was at radioshack; no longer able to be found, unfortunately.

as far as the v-moda's go, you can get them at 150 for the m80 at v-moda's site or 119$ on amazon for the v80 which is the same headphone . . . just kind of embarrassing to endorse that silly "true blood" show.  easy way to save a cool 30$ if you are confident in your masculinity  :wink:    you might be able to save even more if you so desire - i haven't looked everywhere, but 119$ seems very reasonable to me.

perhaps at 119$ it would place it appropriately in this thread?  :) haven't heard them myself.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #96 of 106
it was at radioshack; no longer able to be found, unfortunately.

as far as the v-moda's go, you can get them at 150 for the m80 at v-moda's site or 119$ on amazon for the v80 which is the same headphone . . . just kind of embarrassing to endorse that silly "true blood" show.  easy way to save a cool 30$ if you are confident in your masculinity  :wink:    you might be able to save even more if you so desire - i haven't looked everywhere, but 119$ seems very reasonable to me.

perhaps at 119$ it would place it appropriately in this thread?  :) haven't heard them myself.

One of my friend is desperately wanting to buy/own a pair of V-Modas... Locally here, it's selling at BND 239 (USD 199 roughhly) and to my knowledge, at that price, he will need to save up for another 50% of it... Just trying to help him... XD

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #97 of 106
AT ES55
IMHO better than ES7 in every way , ignored here and much underrated

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #98 of 106
Phillips SHL 3300 DJ headphones at $49 from Target Australia. Marley Exodus headphones as well!!

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #100 of 106
The Fischer Audio FA-003 and its clones are very comparable to much more expensive headphones in my opinion. I bought the Jaycar variants for 70 dollars (including shipping) and I can say that they aren't much worse than my HD650s, they are very neutral, comfortable, and isolate well. It's very surprising how open they sound given that they are closed. Not to mention they have removable cables, and come with extra ear pads along with a carrying case.

+1...love my jaycars. Still hanging on. While others have passed by.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #102 of 106
Superlux 681/668 662/669, Takstar Pro 80 and the Koss KSC75. The Koss have treble that is only found in $250+ cans and the Pro 80 competes well with hps thrice its price.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #103 of 106
My Sennheiser HD555s were only $140 USD in 2008. Still use them to this day, and the foam mod (HD555->HD595 mod) really helped. Not sure if Sennheiser still sells these though, considering the 558 and 598 are out now.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #104 of 106
Jays v-Jays

Simply incredible for the price (£20odd) I paid and their for size & weight . At least 50% of my listening is through these. You are unaware you have anything on your ears whilst listening to a very large and open sound with great fidelity.

No surprise they are darlings of some of the British hifi press (Hifi Choice & Hifi World) they blow many bigger vastly more expensive headphones out of the water (looking at you Grado Etc)

also Ultra stylish and functional in a effortless Scandinavian way

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #105 of 106
Koss DJ100 w/M50 pads well amped sound as good or sometimes better then HD650 $50 + $20 for pads
I agree on the CALS- ($70-sometimes $49.99 on Amazon) Forget it!! The Koss only beat it, If there was no Koss the CALs can't be touched under $200
Sennheiser HD428/9 ($30-Factory Refubs)
Sennheiser HD439 ($40-Factory Refubs) I seen these mentioned = a baby HD600- Never heard a HD600, They do sound pretty dang good tho.
Sennheiser HD558 -($105-$120 Factory Refubs) Pull out the reflector tape and you have a almost 598 without the pesky treble.
Grado 80s, ($99) Gateway to greatness..Cheap Build tho...You really need to do some modding, the plastic's are garbage.

As you see I own most of these, and for a good reason!!! Not many phones are better, you really have to jump up in price to get better..
The djpro100 plus hm5 $heep makes a deadly 80 bones combo. Aluminum cups sheep skin pads lifetime warranty. And these eq friendly studio Sig cans can punch with some mid fi champs though fall just a bit short. It always surprises me when I pull em out of the closet and I end up listening few hours. I've had hm5 sheep and sz1k pads on them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back