The "Headphones That Significantly Perform Above Their Price Point Thread"
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #76 of 106
Yeah $300 is low price for him...But he has 2 headphones in his profile that are well over $1000 so I guess $300 is chump change?  For me I still say the Maddogs shouldn't really count.
The stock $90 or less Headphone is garbage, IMO..  Is it worth paying someone over $200 or more depending on extras for a set of cans that normally cost 3 times less?...I guess that's a personal choice. For me I wouldn't..   I rather take a cheap set and take the $200 or more and get a decent cheap amp and call it a day. I haven't had much time with the MD's but for my taste I don't like them.
  They are way too linear and the soundstage is weird.  Plus it seems you really need to amp match them.  To much hassle for me.   I'm still sticking with my number one pick. DJ100, One of the most natural sounding cans for the price. If they had just a tad more treble reach they would be perfect...Everyones ears and taste are different tho, My pick will not satisfy Bassheads, But if you like Classic Rock,Blues, Jazz they are amazing.  Rap/RNB/Dub, forget it.  That's what my pick #2 (CAL) handles.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #77 of 106
I've had my run with IEM's, but I have long grown tired of their fit and I find it easier to lose myself in the music with headphones. I find the Brainwavz B2 to be excellent for their pricepoint, but I'm not sure what to really compare them to as the only other IEM's I've heard are the Atrios and the TDK-BA200 (and the old Koss "The Plug" which was kinda good for $20). B2 + Digizoid Zo is an excellent, affordable pairing (around $250) especially for analytical listening (the other two are much darker). I have heard many people say the B2 is on par with many $300+ universal IEM's.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #78 of 106
Quote:
Yeah $300 is low price for him...But he has 2 headphones in his profile that are well over $1000 so I guess $300 is chump change?

Who are you referring to?

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #79 of 106
Surprised no one has mentioned the Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 or ATH-M50.  Perhaps those perform at their respective price points...

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #80 of 106
Well I just managed to snag some new open box DT990 for $99 shipped. I would say that his real well for that price point. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #81 of 106
If you take a look at the charts for the Philips Cityscape Downtown without knowing that they are most people would think they were a much more expensive headphone.  To my ears they an excellent to amazing headphone for $99 or less.  Amped they sound awesome and the charts support that claim.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsCityscapeDowntown.pdf

There are just so many good things about these charts and the actual sound from the Downtown that I am amazed more people do not talk about them.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #82 of 106
Quote:
If you take a look at the charts for the Philips Cityscape Downtown without knowing that they are most people would think they were a much more expensive headphone.  To my ears they an excellent to amazing headphone for $99 or less.  Amped they sound awesome and the charts support that claim.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsCityscapeDowntown.pdf

There are just so many good things about these charts and the actual sound from the Downtown that I am amazed more people do not talk about them.

The frequency chart for it reminds almost exactly of what the Sennheiser Momentum's chart looks like. I take it that its a dark sounding headphone?

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #83 of 106
It is darker, but honestly has some very nice treble response.  Part of me wonders if the Head Transfer Function used is completely accurate because I hear some good treble from this headphone.

If you give yourself enough time, say at least 2 days, your brain will really give you a chance to fully appreciate the Downtown.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #84 of 106
Quote:
Surprised no one has mentioned the Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 or ATH-M50.  Perhaps those perform at their respective price points...

Funny you mention half of my circumaural collection in one post.

The M50s were my introductory pair into the world of Hi-Fi. I got them for $120. As far as accuracy goes I absolutely love them. Bass heads wont be disappointed, but by no means do they go overboard. Without wasting my time going into too much detail, I believe they are absolutely great for the price. As I talk with more and more audio engineers for both live and recorded music, I find that many agree that a pair of M50s is all you need for any good mixing session. Having never owned a pair of headphones that cost me more than the M50s (except for my Beats Studios... I was young and didn't know anything. It was a dark time...) I'm really no judge of its worth when compared to higher priced headphones. Although, from my experience, they are my favorite. Based on my experience with them I would have no problem paying more money for their quality. 

The pair of Sony MDR-7506s I got was because my Audio Production professor swears by them and suggests them to every single person that ever takes a class from him. For just under $100 I decided to go ahead and get a pair for the heck of it. I quickly learned why he swears by them so much. They have the most flat frequency response I have ever heard... between 60Hz and 3 kHz. They clearly lack in the sub-bass range and the highs drop off considerably above about 10kHz. They are a great pair of headphones and if you can easily afford to drop $100 I suggest that everyone keep one pair around, especially if you work in a recording studio. They are fantastic reference headphones. I definitely find them great for their price. That being said, they are my least favorite headphones to date.

I feel as if the Superlux HD-681s are by far the greatest bang for the buck on the market. I got mine for $30 bucks and have suggested them to anyone who has ever asked me for advice on buying headphones. Are they the greatest headphones? No. But for $30, IMO, they absolutely have no equal. In fact, when I'm just doing casual listening in bed on my laptop, they are my go-to pair.

Another major bang for the buck I have are the Monoprice 109927 IEMs. For $10 they are an absolute steal. I haven't really invested a lot of money into the IEM department of my collection so I'm not comparing them to any majorly praised IEMs, BUT they are my favorite pair of IEMs. And... I mean... $10. Seriously. Anyone can afford them. 

Edit:// As you can probably tell, I am a sucker for the bargain headphones considering all of my circumaural headphones are mentioned in this thread... One day I will invest in more expensive headphones... When I am no longer a poor college student.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #85 of 106
If you take a look at the charts for the Philips Cityscape Downtown without knowing that they are most people would think they were a much more expensive headphone.  To my ears they an excellent to amazing headphone for $99 or less.

The oddities of the Chinese market.

These phones are sold at 3X the price online vs. what I see quoted elsewhere. Since it is about being a bargain, if someone ups the price due to reading very positive reviews the comparative advantage disappears. Several other 'good for their price point' cans get the same treatment.

Uptowns, Downtowns, all Monoprice, TripleFi 10, Denon HP700, all get trebled in price.

Some examples:

item.ta ob ao.com/

Pioneer SE A1000 ¥899 Yuan not 260 or $45 USD
search?initiative_id=staobaoz_20130825&jc=1&source=haiwaigou&q=Pioneer+SE+A1000+%2B&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1

Monoprice DJ
/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.53.U8Gb7W&id=17648889600
¥857 Yuan, $139.95USD, not $25 USD

/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.176.USmHTm&id=17452821778
Monoprice 108320 IEM
¥335 Yuan, $55 not $7

Philips Citiscape Uptown not $30USD, ¥1879.88 or $307
/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.11.ux7I6w&id=23968440866

Philips Citiscape Downtown ¥1279.88 or $209
/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.10.x3gSrX&id=19465679950

Denon HP700
item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.58.t8u05O&id=10753295542
¥800 to ¥1200 Yuan or $130 to $196, not $99

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #86 of 106
I'm probably a basshead. For me (in Australia):

JVC HA-S500 for awesome bass (for onears) - around $60 from memory
Panasonic RP-HTF600 for overall fun and quality - on sale for $40, normally around $60

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #87 of 106
The pair of Sony MDR-7506s I got was because my Audio Production professor swears by them and suggests them to every single person that ever takes a class from him. For just under $100 I decided to go ahead and get a pair for the heck of it.

Another example.

This can is $200-$250 on TaoBao.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #88 of 106
Philips SH4700 ear clips. Get any kind of headband on these and snap off the earclips, they become the phone everyone tries to mod the KSC75 and PortaPros to be. Get a larger pad surround on em and even better.
9.95 at my local electronic component source.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #89 of 106
Surprised nobody's mentioned the Panasonic RP-HTX7. 
It's not 'old' but old enough to find for quite cheap now, brand new around $25. 
What it lacks in resolution/clarity it makes up with energy, and ridiculously good passive noise reduction and comfort.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #90 of 106
The Fischer Audio FA-003 and its clones are very comparable to much more expensive headphones in my opinion. I bought the Jaycar variants for 70 dollars (including shipping) and I can say that they aren't much worse than my HD650s, they are very neutral, comfortable, and isolate well. It's very surprising how open they sound given that they are closed. Not to mention they have removable cables, and come with extra ear pads along with a carrying case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back