The "Headphones That Significantly Perform Above Their Price Point Thread"
Aug 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #61 of 106
Also, philips SHE 3590 is available for $9 in India and is worth quite a bit more.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #62 of 106
My bad...your point number 3 in your last post makes it sound like you were comparing them by the assumption that it is similar to the RS 180 based on something you've read on Headfonia....probably just me having issues 'interpreting' your writing style...very sorry for misunderstanding

Regarding reviews from others, there have been some positive and negative on this thread. Clearly, Tyll's review was negative and supported some of the issues brought up in this thread.

FWIW, I find Tyll's reviews to be of high value. From my viewpoint, what you've offered up is not. That said, I would have never said anything negative about your post had you not felt the 'need' to interpret my opinions for me.

You took issue with a short post of mine and apparently needed to 'educate' me point by point...reading way too much into a simple opinion...trollish if you ask me.

Am stopping this because it's waste of time and you seem to someone that likes to argue....but expect you'll continue.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #63 of 106
We are good :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #64 of 106
Ask an expert...Tyll

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-square-wave-response-page-2

People way smarter than me find value in measurements (and listening obviously!).  They also say they correlate with the sound characteristics of headphones, speakers, etc. 

In case you’re serious, you can just follow the link within his post where Tyll from Innerfidelity explains it very well.

Thanks for the link! Definately will be my weekend reading xD

Billson :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #66 of 106
Quote:
I think this thread is getting side tracked a little?  I see guys talking about HD600/650's, Mad-Dogs etc?
The thread is " Punching way above"
HD600's + 650's  are what $300-$400- Do they beat Stax, and sets like that? No, That's Punching above their weight.  They are at the TOP of their class for sure but don't really punch above.  And Maddogs are a special item of a $90 headphone "With Mods applied"  I guess they punch above but the regular headphone at $90 doesn't. It's actual is a bad headphone without the mods.

Punching above to me is a lower cost Can that hangs with the big boys-The HD650's etc...just my thoughts
biggrin.gif

+1.

And, as for punching way above their weight, I've got to highlight the JVC S500's, 

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #67 of 106
Define "lower cost" can. I see lots of sub-$50 cans mentioned, but lower cost to me is sub-$300. So it's really subjective.

But that is why the Mad Dogs are the first thing to come to mind, as they are right at that sweet price point and compare well to much more expensive headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #69 of 106
For what it's worth, my favorite Grado are the SR-80's. I liked them much more than the GS1000 and I found the PS500 to be largely the same, except with some more bass (in other words, not a $500 difference). A lot of people got started on the lower end Grados before moving up the ladder and I still have mine (I use them for direct line-in to my computer, so for youtube and stuff).

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #70 of 106
Ultrasone HFI 780- $149.00 (Amazon) Does everything I want in a headphone. Soundstage, Godzilla stomping bass, detailed machine like treble. Played these very loud last night for the first time after some inspiring reviews of other headphones where the person was into "volume". To my shock I found out I was listening to my headphones lower then needed and I was in a world of bliss as I felt as if I was in the perfect music room blasting it away with no fears of bothering the neighbors. SKYRIM really sounds like it comes from the land of the thunder gods now :D

Audio Technica Ath AD700- $100.00 (J&R Computer World) My first audiophile level headphone which is still delivering the sweetness.

Sennheiser HD 280- $89.00 (Best Buy) Got these about a year ago and I love the thumpy bass and nice level of detail in treble. Their isolation is excellent and keeps me immersed in whatever am enjoying whether its music, gaming or movies. I was shocked to see though that the Ultrasone HFI 780 out did them in every area though with a much more tighter detailed clearer presentation.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #71 of 106
Quote:
Define "lower cost" can. I see lots of sub-$50 cans mentioned, but lower cost to me is sub-$300. So it's really subjective.

But that is why the Mad Dogs are the first thing to come to mind, as they are right at that sweet price point and compare well to much more expensive headphones.

Maybe there should be a bargin category for various cost brackets?

like 300ish range, below 50ish range, 200ish range etc? Due to dimnishing returns a great deal around the 300 dollars to me is different from great deals under 50 dollars.

Lol... if anything the best bang for the buck may be some cheap under 10 dollar buds since having vs not having phones is the ultimate difference. (since its music vs no music)

I think for 300 maddogs is great deal for closed bak, its pretty hard to beat for the price range. Had a chance to listen to them when i visited a friend in America, not sure if i can find these in korea or japan personally. I dunno if i would say it beats $1000 phones personally though perhaps some but not the ones i enjoy personally. Mostly because i would still prefer D7000, LCD 2, HE-500 over it. But i guess its preferences? Must say that LCD 2 and HE-500 has the comfort handicap though. And D7000 is just too fun sounding even though its less refined.

In terms of high end bang for the buck, my vote goes to HE-500 though. You can usually nab these for around $550 used if u live in the usa. I think i can easily compete or beat around 1 k dollar headphones like LCD 2, D7000. (due to the unfortunate prices in asia i usually order them to america and pick them up when i visit my friend there) Of course if your comparing wit cheaper phones like under $50 or grado sr80i. it would lose pretty badly for dollar for dollar value like all high end phones out there.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #72 of 106
Quote:
For what it's worth, my favorite Grado are the SR-80's. I liked them much more than the GS1000 and I found the PS500 to be largely the same, except with some more bass (in other words, not a $500 difference). A lot of people got started on the lower end Grados before moving up the ladder and I still have mine (I use them for direct line-in to my computer, so for youtube and stuff).

Love my SR-60's as well even out of my Clip Zip.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #73 of 106
The AKG K30 xtra I've had for many years (and still do) can hold it's own against headphones costing more than 5 times the price. Cost me nothing, were a gift from a friend. 

I now no longer bother with full size headphones and instead spend my money on iems :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #75 of 106
UE700 - for all rounder listening
Superlux HD381F - cheap but good
Jays VJays - surprisingly good and portable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back