The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding, or burn-in.
Jan 11, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #61 of 136
So as i mentioned i'd rather have open back headphones for the bigger soundstage. I'll be using them at home and where nobody gets anoyed by the sound bleed. Most of the time i'll be listining tot deep house, some hiphop and i like tot relax with some a litlle piano at times.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #62 of 136
So as i mentioned i'd rather have open back headphones for the bigger soundstage. I'll be using them at home and where nobody gets anoyed by the sound bleed. Most of the time i'll be listining tot deep house, some hiphop and i like tot relax with some a litlle piano at times.

Based on this, I'd lean towards the DT990s...

Maybe the Fidelio X1's if you can stretch your budget or are ok with 'like new' from Amazon Warehouse ($184)...fyi haven't heard these so this suggestion is based on reviews/comments.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #64 of 136
o and i don't have a dedicated soundcard. I've got realtek alc1150 onboard audio so i'm note sure whether i'll be able to drive the 250 ohm dt 990. 

Thought you might say that. I definitely would not use them out of my PC or my phone...though they're fine out of a Fiio E10.

Kinda feels like the X1's might be a great fit. Would love to hear them myself, They were $150 new for a lightning deal back in January of last year. Am guessing they'll get down to this level again now that the X2's have been introduced.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #65 of 136
Hi all,

I am looking for closed-back headphones that sound like the Sennheiser Momentum (2.0)s with better high/treble. 
My budget ranges from 0 to 450 euro/600 dollar (sometimes 600 dollar headphones are sold here for 450 euro).

And maybe a bit more soundstage.

My ears are too small for the Momentums and P7s. 

Can anyone helps?

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #66 of 136
  Hi all,

I am looking for closed-back headphones that sound like the Sennheiser Momentum (2.0)s with better high/treble. 
My budget ranges from 0 to 450 euro/600 dollar (sometimes 600 dollar headphones are sold here for 450 euro).

And maybe a bit more soundstage.

My ears are too small for the Momentums and P7s. 

Can anyone helps?

The NAD Viso HP50 might be just what you are looking for.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #67 of 136
hello. long time reader but first time post.
i would some recommendations. ive been reading and searching for CLOSED type headphones that are under $100. but i keep finding either the headphones dont come with a 3.5mm plug or need mod/amp . but these are for home and portable use. the type of music is hiphop/rap/rock/lil pop. would someone(s) please help me me out. 

i own 
Monster Ntunes for home no amp no mod 
and
Brainwavz S1 for im out and about

previous headphones
Sennheisser 201 or 210? forget which ones
Sennheisser 408?

May 31, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #69 of 136
NAD Viso HP50

32 ohms so pretty easy to drive and fairly sensitive, no need for any amp (probably wouldn't even benefit from one), they sound great right out of the smartphone or some portable player, at 300$ those were the best I've heard, balanced sound suited for all genres in my opinion with decent soundstage. Only con for me was their design that I'm not fan of, but for some people if that is not an issue it's a safe buy.

Burn in is not a matter of belief or opinion, and you can test it just buy some headphones you already owned for some time again and compare the two, very noticeable difference (on blind test also). I've tested with my friend my used IE80 and his out of the box IE80 and they sounded quite different, after several weeks they sounded the same. Also you can't avoid burn in but no need to leave headphones for few days, just listen to them, they will burn in eventually whether you want it or not, whether you believe it or not. 

May 31, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #70 of 136
Headphones that sound GREAT unmapped, straight into an iPhone:

Monster nTune
Byerdynamic T5P
Audeze EL-8
Marshall Major FX-50
Monster Adidas
Monster 24k
V-Moda M-100
V-Moda M-80
V-Moda LP-2
JVC SZ-2000
Parrot Zik 2.0
Sennheiser Urbanite
Akg K452

off the top of my head

May 31, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #71 of 136
B&W p5!!! Tremendous ip5-6 synergy. Moreover, they sound worse when amped! I have them as my 6th or 7th pair of phones exclusively for tube/train traveling and they isolate pretty damn well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #72 of 136
The Bowers & Wilkins P3s also sound great unamped.  Decent clarity, bright, exciting sound as far as I can remember.  
The main headphone I have experience with, however, is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  These sound brilliant even without an amplifier, and are a great pair of headphones that can be found for around $100 these days, since they have been supplanted by the slightly newer M50x.  I also not sure that the sonic differences would be enough to pay the extra for the 50x.  

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #73 of 136
Headphones that sound GREAT unmapped, straight into an iPhone:

Monster nTune
Byerdynamic T5P
Audeze EL-8
Marshall Major FX-50
Monster Adidas
Monster 24k
V-Moda M-100
V-Moda M-80
V-Moda LP-2
JVC SZ-2000
Parrot Zik 2.0
Sennheiser Urbanite
Akg K452

off the top of my head
Had the nTunes -- gave them to my son and don't miss them. He really likes them, though.

Love the M80s...they work well out of my phone, come with a great hard case, and two cables. Lucked out and got them for $40 NIB from Radio Shack--still my best deal since joining Head-Fi.

Currently $79.99 on Amazon and worth every penny! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9UKKS0

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #75 of 136
  The ATH-M50 to my memory, has a flat impedance to frequency as a result, they won't be affected by high output impedance that much and if you like what you are listening, then its good!

Louder does not mean better as well!

Hope it helps
Billson 
smily_headphones1.gif

I recently got a pair of ATH M50x and they definitely sound louder plugged into my iMac compared to my iPhone 6. Not only louder but clearer too. Could the clarity be all in my head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back