The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding, or burn-in.
Mar 31, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 136
Quote:
I think that headphones that can't be played loud enough without an amp are pretty rare and specialized. Here's the thing: a lot of headphones that people say need amps will still sound better unamped than low end headphones intended for portable devices. It would be more accurate to say that "it would be a shame not to use an amp" than "this headphone needs an amp."

The point of this thread is to make recommendations. If you don't have any, kindly move along.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 136
Quote:
Fine, then, Sennheiser HD800. Unamped it will still sound pretty good, and it certainly doesn't need mods.

We're looking for headphones that don't change much if you amp them. These change dramatically.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 136
Quote:
We're looking for headphones that don't change much if you amp them. These change dramatically.

Well, no, in the OP you asked for headphones that sound good without an amp. Then you got mad when I pointed out the distinction between sounding bad unamped and not reaching full potential unamped. Now you seem to have taken the distinction to heart. Which is it that you're looking for? And in any case, it's poor form to snap at people who are trying to help.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 136
Here's what I said in my original post:

Quote:
I think the title says it all. What are the best headphones, open or closed, that need no amping, modding, or burning-in to sound great? If I just want to plug something into my ipod and be on my merry way, what should I buy?

Do the HD800 sound great unamped? Doubtful. Would you really recommend the HD800 to somebody with an ipod? I think you're being facetious out of spite.

Regarding your point about the difference between saying "it would be a shame to not use an amp" and "this headphone needs an amp" : From what I've gathered, they mean the same thing to most people (99% is my estimate) in these forums. Pointing out that most, if not all, headphones can be driven to a listenable volume from a dap is merely pointing out the obvious. "This headphone needs an amp" does not literally mean "sound will not come out if you don't use an amp" in the context of head-fi.

You recommend the HD800. Duly noted.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 136
Don't think about HD800 if you are using it unamped specially when you are not expecting changes! I drove it with two source and they sound quite different animal! So forget about it! 

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #25 of 136
Quote:
Here's what I said in my original post:

Quote:
I think the title says it all. What are the best headphones, open or closed, that need no amping, modding, or burning-in to sound great? If I just want to plug something into my ipod and be on my merry way, what should I buy?

Do the HD800 sound great unamped? Doubtful. Would you really recommend the HD800 to somebody with an ipod? I think you're being facetious out of spite.

Regarding your point about the difference between saying "it would be a shame to not use an amp" and "this headphone needs an amp" : From what I've gathered, they mean the same thing to most people (99% is my estimate) in these forums. Pointing out that most, if not all, headphones can be driven to a listenable volume from a dap is merely pointing out the obvious. "This headphone needs an amp" does not literally mean "sound will not come out if you don't use an amp" in the context of head-fi.

You recommend the HD800. Duly noted.

He is, no doubt about it. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 136
krk kns8400
p5
esw9
dt1350
ad900x
hm5
uptown
k271mk2
z1000