The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #241 of 869
You know I have the SR-225 here but the store made the mistake of giving me an extension cord instead of the regular-to-mini plug adapter, so now it's sitting there and I can't even try it.
frown.gif
VERY frustrating.
frown.gif

But I can smell it, seeberg.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Actually, it doesn't smell that good at all.

Maybe I should just forgo getting the 225 and get a good CDP or some other improved home source first.

But I'm afraid I've become attached to the SR-60 again after punching the hole. I still can't find a site where I can buy VWAP pads (the sites I saw were in German). Can anyone help?

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #242 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Check out the meet impressions thread as we held 4 NY meets in the past at Grado labs,last one was May of 2004 pics included.

Will do, thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N
Me thinks that Seeberg is starting to develop a Grado fetish...

Not so much-I'm just fond of things that smell at least halfway pleasant. They do for me, but they aren't my favorite thing to smell. That would have to be... hmmm... cute girls. For some reason, they just smell great
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
But I'm afraid I've become attached to the SR-60 again after punching the hole. I still can't find a site where I can buy VWAP pads (the sites I saw were in German). Can anyone help?

Were you able to find a link to Sennheisers parts shop online? Go here
If that doesn't work, just go to their main site and go to shop, then parts, then look for the HD414 or HD414 classic, and select Cushions. That should do it, I think.

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #243 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Were you able to find a link to Sennheisers parts shop online? Go here
If that doesn't work, just go to their main site and go to shop, then parts, then look for the HD414 or HD414 classic, and select Cushions. That should do it, I think.

Thanks seeberg! I finally got to order a couple of pairs.

Interesting - they're yellow...

Feb 25, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #244 of 869
Quote:

Thanks seeberg! I finally got to order a couple of pairs.

Interesting - they're yellow...

...but they'll sound awesome when you do the mod, just remember, try mouning 'em backwards and see if that works better. It did for me!
You know how I do, I be rockin da
rs1smile.gif
Abe

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #245 of 869
Quote:

...but they'll sound awesome when you do the mod, just remember, try mouning 'em backwards and see if that works better. It did for me!
You know how I do, I be rockin da
rs1smile.gif
Abe

I don't mind the color at all. They're like big, fluffy smileys.
blink.gif

I find it strange, but sure, I'll try to mount them backwards.

I hope they're even more comfortable than the comfies.

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #246 of 869
Quote:

I don't mind the color at all. They're like big, fluffy smileys.
blink.gif

I find it strange, but sure, I'll try to mount them backwards.

I hope they're even more comfortable than the comfies.

It's just a way to increase the spacing between your ears and the drivers. I find it does increase soundstage, and it boosts comfort for me as well, due to the thickness of foam on the backside of the pad as opposed to the front side. I imagine when mounted backwards as I do, the foam between the ears and drivers is as thick as the flats- at least, that's the theory. I have yet to see or own a complete set of flats; the only set I saw were in terribly worn shape on some old SR225's that had one of their adjuster rings broken out, it would've been no different to wear the phones without pads at all in the state they were in. I'd never treat my Grados like that!
Here's to hoping my
rs1smile.gif
lasts for a very, very long time,
Abe

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #247 of 869
Just got my Grado SR60 on Friday. I haven't stopped listening to them since. Now I know what the reviewers mean when they get a great piece of kit and want to go back and listen to all of their music, that is exactly what I have been doing. Thank you Grado! Thank you headfi and headroom for leading me to them.
Cheers and happy listening!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #248 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPodphile
Just got my Grado SR60 on Friday. I haven't stopped listening to them since. Now I know what the reviewers mean when they get a great piece of kit and want to go back and listen to all of their music, that is exactly what I have been doing. Thank you Grado! Thank you headfi and headroom for leading me to them.
Cheers and happy listening!
rs1smile.gif

Happy listening to you too
smily_headphones1.gif

Just finished the dishes...with Rio Karma in pocket and SR-60 on my head...

I look forward to washing dishes these days
tongue.gif
LOL

Mar 16, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #249 of 869
Ohhh. Wow. Just got these things in the mail, and they absolutely blow the crap out of my e2c's. Of course I'll still be using them for portable things... but... wow. And these aren't even burned in yet.

Needless to say, very happy. Can't wait until they burn-in and grow on me...

Audio bliss, for sure! And they're no less comfortable than the pc headset I used to use... so I love them! Clamping force is a little tight but a small bending will fix that.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #250 of 869
Coming to the SR60 party late.

I purchased my Grado SR60 back in either 1996 or 1997 (I think they should be burned-in by now
biggrin.gif
), and to this day, it's still the standard bearer headphone in my home system. No mods on them....still have the original pads. In fact, the pads are kinda falling apart and have turned orange on the top (probably due to my hair products). The cord has been crushed by chairs, stepped on, and who knows what when I am out of the house, but the SR60 has never stopped performing its sonic miracles. I have auditioned other headphones, like the SR80, but I always come back to the SR60. Even now, as I contemplate a possible upgrade to the Sony XD400, I am still wary of giving up my Grado SR60. My cars, girlfriends, various other stereo components, etc. have all come and gone, the one constant in any of my system has always been the SR60. This headphone was a bargain back in the 90s, and it's still one of the best audio bargains out there.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #251 of 869
Purchased mine last month and I <3 them to death. People say they may look dorky, except my gay libertarian friend who likes their retro aesthetic. Which is liek ubar cool. The rest of them are just bloody philistines who can't appreciate the art of headphonery (like archery, but with headphones).

They won't see us waiting from such great heights...

OMG Y U PAY 70 DOLLARS FOR HEADPHONES LOL I CNAT HEAR TEH DIFF

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #252 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
This headphone was a bargain back in the 90s, and it's still one of the best audio bargains out there.

I wonder how much they were when they came out in what, 1994 was it? Maybe they're a better value now, due to lasting qulaity despite inflation, unlike say, Sony or Aiwa, or even Audio Technica?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
OMG Y U PAY 70 DOLLARS FOR HEADPHONES LOL I CNAT HEAR TEH DIFF

What a cheapo earbuds fantard would say!

Fantard... my favorite anti-fanboy slur, despite being an admitted fanboy for a few things...,
Abe

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #253 of 869
Post 1 WooHoo!
I'm getting a pair of the Grado 60's UPS tomorrow... with all the nice stuff going around about them I expect great things!
I bought a pair or Sennheiser mx-500's a while back for my Mp3 player and liked them alot, till the Ole' cat found em hanging off my computer desk.. DOH!
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #254 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naruto
Post 1 WooHoo!
I'm getting a pair of the Grado 60's UPS tomorrow... with all the nice stuff going around about them I expect great things!

Prepare to step into flavor country... And they taste better with replacement pads (Grado Flats, Sennheiser HD414 replacements, RadioShack 33-379, etc.) too!

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #255 of 869
Quote:

I wonder how much they were when they came out in what, 1994 was it? Maybe they're a better value now, due to lasting qulaity despite inflation, unlike say, Sony or Aiwa, or even Audio Technica?

Back then, they were still $69.00. I got mine at Cambridge Soundworks. Nowadays, you can pick up SR60 at less than that....so they are actually a better deal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back