The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2005 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 869

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
I never thought it would come to this...

Before I explain what "this" is let me give you some background info :-

Headphones that I have used extensively (chronological)

* Sony MDR-V300

* Sennheiser HD-580

* Sennheiser HD-600

* Grado SR-60

* AT-900

* Sennheiser HD-595

* Sennheiser HD-650

* Grado SR-325

* Grado SR-225

* Alessandro MS2

* AKG K-271

* CD3000

And many more that I cannot remember...many that were not worth remembering...

Now after all that...and after nearly as many Headphone amplifiers...I am back where I started!!
eek.gif

* Sennheiser HD-650 is packed and ready to meet its new master

* Alessandro MS2 is packed and ready to meet its new master

Thats it...my "high-end" headphones are going to their new homes and I am left with my Grado SR-60 and a bunch of amps...

I ditched everything and ran the SR-60 straight out of the headphone jack on my trusty Rio Karma...

Voila!!!

Amazing beautiful sound...definitely DEFINITELY not the nightmare I was expecting to be plunged into...the horrors of horrible sound were nowhere to be found...the ghost of low-fi had taken a vacation...

I was TOTALLY digging it...this is what I call "Going back to the core issues" and the core issues are :-

* Enjoying the music

* Enjoying the music some more

* Enjoying the music more and more and more...

Over the last couple of days I have not turned on a single amp (except the ones that are being burned in for various people), havent touched my SACD source, havent touched a single CD...

I am listening to 192 kbps and FLAC rips on my Rio Karma out of the SR-60s and I honestly believe I can live this way for ever...

The SR-60s are one of the most underrated headphones here. I dont see them getting recommended anymore to anyone. The MS1 didnt sound any different to me honestly...Its a FAD now to own an "Alessandro" as opposed to a Grado...whatever...

I think ANY newcomer to HeadFi can be recommended a Grado SR-60 to start with...

If I can go through ALL those headphones, amps and still go back to these headphones without any problems then there must be something special going on there...some magic...

I dont care...you may have your opinions but I am glad to have had 48 hours of pure unbridled music without worrying about midrange, soundstage gaps and all that hullabaloo...

I am totally diggin it!!!
cool.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 869
I have just ordered a set of sr-60's. I just never ever got round to hearing them so I thought now would be a good chance to hear them out. For me the MS-2's sounded lifeless to me compared to my other grado's. It's not the neutrality thing it is something else. At least I don't think it is because I love my HP-2's and they are what known as dead neutral.

But I can' wait to get my hands on the sr-60's. I hear these are totally kick ass. I will use my Melos to drive them. Also the reverse bowls will be a necessity.

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 869
I bought a pair a week ago, but already sold them. Very respectable headphones for the money. If I had bought them as my first headphones I might have been satisfied and left this horrible place.

I bought the SR60 compliment my ER6 for portable use. A day or so after I ordered them I decided to splurge on a new pair of canalphones. I have spent way too much money, so I sold the SR60.

My only complaint with the SR60 is the highs. Just a bit too much. In my opinion they are comfortable and look awesome.

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 869
I believe the sr60's are one of the most fun-sounding funs out there, i would go even as far as saying that they are the most fun-sounding phones of the grado line, period...yeah, i said it, i love my 225's, i want to get rs-1's eventually, but the sr-60's are just plain fun, and you can hook up that thing to an ipod or whatever and just rock out! Peace!

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Its a FAD now to own an "Alessandro" as opposed to a Grado...whatever...

I can get the MS-1 for cheaper than the SR60 here in Australia (win win
biggrin.gif
). Call it a fad if you want, it just plain doesn't make sense in some parts of the world to buy Grado considering their price compared to Alessandro's offerings. If I could've pickup a SR60 for <$60US i'd would've been there in a flash, not anymore, the bug has well and truly bitten.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I believe the sr60's are one of the most fun-sounding funs out there, i would go even as far as saying that they are the most fun-sounding phones of the grado line, period...yeah, i said it, i love my 225's, i want to get rs-1's eventually, but the sr-60's are just plain fun, and you can hook up that thing to an ipod or whatever and just rock out! Peace!

If you like the 225's then there is a good chance you will enjoy the RS-1's. Although the RS-1's have an unbelieveable knack of recreating woodwind instruments and have a slow note decay (Could be due to Wooden cups???). The RS-1's are just as fun as the 225's.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Totally diggin it only for a few days now...Sony MDR-SA5K on the way
tongue.gif

That's what I was totally about to say...prior to reading your thread I had spent some time perusing the for sale forums...

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
If you like the 225's then there is a good chance you will enjoy the RS-1's. Although the RS-1's have an unbelieveable knack of recreating woodwind instruments and have a slow note decay (Could be due to Wooden cups???). The RS-1's are just as fun as the 225's.

I might have to get myself a pair of RS1s
rs1smile.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I might have to get myself a pair of RS1s
rs1smile.gif

looking at your sig I notice you have the MS-2's and 650's. Have you tried the senn 650's with the zu mobius cable? If you have then you will find that sound is closer to the RS-1's than the MS-2's. If you have not tried the zu mobius cable then you seem to be into more relaxed phones, the RS-1 might be too forward for your taste's.

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 869
i just dont get the love for grados... it seems to be unanimous that they have an obvious flaw with their representation of "highs". yet even with that flaw, people seem to love them.

i am so happy and overly satisfied with my ath-a700 yet im still so drawn owning a grado.. any grado. What!! to be honest though, ive never tried a pair of grados - so there's this whole aura of curiosity surrounding them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back