The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #211 of 869
About the coin mod on the 414 pads: How does it affect the sound signature of the phones?

I just got a pair of SR-60s w/ 414 pads but haven't performed the mod as I want to make sure the change is suitable to my tastes.

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #212 of 869
The mod will allow a little more detail and high frequencies to come through.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #213 of 869
Muahahahahahaha! At the end of a really bad day of work, there was something that made it better. My SR60s have arrived. I gotta say, they're pretty nice for the price.

I have mixed feelings about them so far. I was sort of disappointed as to how much punch these things have, I expected a bit more to be honest, but it's definitely not bad at all. These things sound off like they have a pair, especially when you throw any sort of rock at them whatsoever. They are clear, tight, and crisp. Bass is nice, clean, and punchy. Treble is sort of what I've been looking for. The sort of sound that lets you know exactly when and where those cymbals are going off, I love that. The mids are very smooth and clear. Overall, I'm pretty happy so far in the first 30 mins of listening to these cans.

However, I do have one thing to complain about, and that's about the comfort of these things. I don't know what you guys are talking about them being uncomfortable or anything like that, but they feel just fine. I don't know how heavy the 225s or 325s are but these things are as light as a feather. They are supraural, but they're nothing terrible at all. The driver housing is quite a bit larger than what pictures lead you to believe which added to my surprise as to how uncomfortable they weren't. After spending more time with them, I'll have a better idea of what I think of them. But so far, very good.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #214 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Not at all, they cost me 11$ for two pairs
biggrin.gif
. I modded the first pair and have kept the second in the sealed package so they'll be fresh when I need them.
Flat pads have always been the expensive option. I'd like to see a silicon rubber earcup that is more circumaural in the future, as a DIY project, maybe.

And yeah, the Grados look awesome, especially with my amp, a JMT built CMOY variation. I'm trying to remember where that thread was at the moment.
I'm cooler when I'm
rs1smile.gif
ing,
Abe

Hey seeberg, where did you get them in the US? I tried googling it but I only get European sellers...

I still haven't listened to the SR225. I'm really getting curious about those.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #215 of 869
I'm going to dedicate my first post to my first headphones. I read a lot about these and they turned out to be the perfect 'phones for me to get into this hobby. 0% regret. 100% praise!
600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #216 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogao
I'm going to dedicate my first post to my first headphones. I read a lot about these and they turned out to be the perfect 'phones for me to get into this hobby. 0% regret. 100% praise!
600smile.gif

cool.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #217 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp1N
Muahahahahahaha! At the end of a really bad day of work, there was something that made it better. My SR60s have arrived. I gotta say, they're pretty nice for the price.

I have mixed feelings about them so far. I was sort of disappointed as to how much punch these things have, I expected a bit more to be honest, but it's definitely not bad at all. These things sound off like they have a pair, especially when you throw any sort of rock at them whatsoever. They are clear, tight, and crisp. Bass is nice, clean, and punchy. Treble is sort of what I've been looking for. The sort of sound that lets you know exactly when and where those cymbals are going off, I love that. The mids are very smooth and clear. Overall, I'm pretty happy so far in the first 30 mins of listening to these cans.

However, I do have one thing to complain about, and that's about the comfort of these things. I don't know what you guys are talking about them being uncomfortable or anything like that, but they feel just fine. I don't know how heavy the 225s or 325s are but these things are as light as a feather. They are supraural, but they're nothing terrible at all. The driver housing is quite a bit larger than what pictures lead you to believe which added to my surprise as to how uncomfortable they weren't. After spending more time with them, I'll have a better idea of what I think of them. But so far, very good.

Well, I was kind of in your boat as of yesterday when I got my SR60s in the mail. Out of the box I was pretty much disappointed in their sound. The bass and midrange were decent but the highs were awful. Put on some Coltrane and the sax sounded so harsh and reedy I had to jerk them off my ears so as not to desecrate Trane. BUT. I put them on itunes and let it run for 18 hours or so and they've begun to sound really good. I also bought the $4 Radioshack pads and did the quarter mod and that has greatly improved things. So I recommend at least burning them in for a day and maybe doing the mod before making a true evaluation. I'm pretty happy with them now. The only thing that's really bothering me about them is their narrow soundstage. Would anyone else say that's characteristic of them or will they somehow open up eventually? All in all, they're getting better every day.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #218 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
About the coin mod on the 414 pads: How does it affect the sound signature of the phones?

I just got a pair of SR-60s w/ 414 pads but haven't performed the mod as I want to make sure the change is suitable to my tastes.

Well, significantly. They tame the midrange and open up the highs while maintaining a deep and tight bass by my observations. It's night and day with the RS pads or stock comfies.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #219 of 869
Quote:

Overall, I'm pretty happy so far in the first 30 mins of listening to these cans.

Just wait until your burn in period is done, you'll have a whole new appreciation for what these cans are capable of.

You'll
rs1smile.gif
bigger in time,
Abe

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #220 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Hey seeberg, where did you get them in the US? I tried googling it but I only get European sellers...

I still haven't listened to the SR225. I'm really getting curious about those.

I got mine from Sennheiser's official site. Follow your nose to this link:
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545
And you should be able to get yourself some, but note that I used the American page. I don't know if internationally based pages have quite the same content.

(PS-sorry about clogging up the thread with individual replies to quotes. I don't know how to compile them
confused.gif
)

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #221 of 869
Got a song for ya, mogao. Welcome to FeadFi, and...
~I caught you looking at HeadFi
Don't worry about it you'll get hooked
How do you sleep at night
Knowing you can't have your favorite cans tonight
It's February now you've got your cans
So now you think you're the man
You've gotta stand out at the mall
With your phones you try to stand tall
Thinking you'll get them all

Sorry about your wallet (3x)

I caught you looking at HeadFi
I bet you got custom wired cans
Personalized pads and all
Your amp was probably 20 grand gone
I bet you say you listen a lot
I bet you don't like your music at all
All the singers get analogued up

You might as well trade your crap up

Sorry I'm sorry
Sorry i'm sorry so sorry

You don't get it and you never will
Paying a year's worth rent for cans, that's overkill
Seeing everything as if it were a nerdy sport
People might say you're the king of the HeadFi court
With that freaky avatar, man you all you look alike
So maybe you should post your real pics tonight!
Even though you've got your cans you've still got the need
Don't overspend please, please, please

Sorry about your wallet (3x)~
Enjoy,
Abe

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #222 of 869
Quote:

Just wait until your burn in period is done, you'll have a whole new appreciation for what these cans are capable of.

You'll
rs1smile.gif
bigger in time,
Abe

How long would you say that I should burn them in for?

Oh, and what's with that "new Grado smell"? They smell like my dad's old christmas decorations when we take them out at the beginning of December. Not that's it's overpowering or overly odiferous, it's just kinda weird.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #223 of 869
Quote:

I got mine from Sennheiser's official site. Follow your nose to this link:
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545
And you should be able to get yourself some, but note that I used the American page. I don't know if internationally based pages have quite the same content.

(PS-sorry about clogging up the thread with individual replies to quotes. I don't know how to compile them
confused.gif
)

Thanks seeberg. I finally found my exacto knife and I modded my stock soft pads on my SR-60. Very significant difference. I never realized how much these foam pads muffled the music.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll check out those Senn pads...

(I compiled quotes manually a couple of times but literally copy-pasting and surrounding the text with the tags. I don't know if there's a point-and-click way of doing it.)

Edit: The link to the Sennheiser site didn't work for some reason...

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #224 of 869
Quote:

People usually recommend 100 hours. You can just leave them hooked up to a source when you're not listening to them.

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #225 of 869
Quote:

Oh, and what's with that "new Grado smell"? They smell like my dad's old christmas decorations when we take them out at the beginning of December. Not that's it's overpowering or overly odiferous, it's just kinda weird.

mhcarlos hit that one on the head, about 100 hours should do it. Also, the smell isn't necessarily strong, although rnb180 had a horror story on that one. It's very pleasant, at least to me, and it's what I wish new car smell smelled like, as well as my house. Grado incense, ohhhh, that's an idea to keep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back