The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #2,791 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now imagine how many more customers they could have if they kept all their customers happy. How many more restaurants they can open up. All the possible locations they can open them in. Laugh at customers in certain locales, and the business will die.

I expect that George, the owner, just doesn't care. His business is swift enough, he only stays open for about five hours a day, and he gets to have a chuckles with his regulars every once and a while.

When you have a unique niche product and aren't particularly interested in becoming the next Sony or Coke, the rules are a bit more flexible.

If you don't like it, you aren't in the target market anyway.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2,792 of 2,859
I think the silly bickering back and forth about complaining about the cosmetic defect is completely unproductive. Both sides have a legitimate argument.

John and Todd are not forcing anyone to buy the F1 phones. In fact, Todd went out of his way to notify the pre-orders that they would have to confirm their orders with full knowledge of the defect.

On the other side, I can see why some people are upset by how this was handled. Some people probably sold gear to drum up the money for the HF-2. I think most people in this camp would have been happy to wait a few more weeks or even a couple of months to have to the problem rectified.

The bottom line is that people complaining about the issues shouldn't be treated as ingrates. Most of them are just disappointed that this issue wasn't handled in a way that would have at least allowed those members concerned about the defect to get a set of "corrected" cups, even if it meant some extra waiting time.

We all appreciate what John and Todd have done. I remain forever grateful for the HF-1 which is my only full-size can at the moment. Pointing out what some people perceive to be a poor way of handling a manufacturing issue, cosmetic or otherwise, doesn't mean we don't appreciate the effort and intent.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #2,793 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even easier, sand them down .25-.5mm or so, Re-anodize, and reburn the etching. Hmmmm, makes you wonder why Grado didn't do that...

So, time (labor) to sand down 475 cups
Then, pay to anodize 475 cups (again)
Then, pay to engrave 475 cups (again)

Probably would impact margins that are already tight.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2,794 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, time (labor) to sand down 475 cups
Then, pay to anodize 475 cups (again)
Then, pay to engrave 475 cups (again)

Probably would impact margins that are already tight.

How do you know what their margins are? I suspect their margins were $250-$300/set, if no screw ups had happened.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #2,795 of 2,859
I personally don't care much whether they lose money if they try to fix the typo. It's the right thing to do, and sometimes you just have to take a loss to save face. Grado obviously didn't care to do that, and now we know where they stand. Let's just move on. Yes, I am keeping my pair, because they absolutely rock.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2,796 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know what their margins are? I suspect their margins were $250-$300/set, if no screw ups had happened.

How do you know what their margins are?
wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2,797 of 2,859
This does raise a good point, no one but John & Todd (and maybe Jude) really know what the margins are. I'm pretty sure no one was going to be making a loss on these, right?
There's enough to add an extra $10 to Head-F1 from all of us who kept the order. (not the must customer friendly "offer" I've ever seen there).
That alone is somewhere in the region of $5000.. which would surely go some way to rectifying the error (and it's not like Jude was expecting this money either).
I've got my order in still, but I'm not happy about the somewhat blasé attitude to the customers John and Todd displayed here.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #2,798 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got my order in still, but I'm not happy about the somewhat blasé attitude to the customers John and Todd displayed here.

What why throw Todd in there? That's not fair.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #2,799 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are higher callings in life. I'm going to do what unsatisfied customers do in this situation. Never buy from this company ever again. A company's success depends on the satisfaction of its customers. Grado's an amateur business. They have things to change before they reach the heights of its corporate-level competition.

That's fine, you're entitled to your decision and actions. I've done similar in other situations, despite that there will be others to fill the cancelled orders or do business with them. Different priorities for different folks.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #2,800 of 2,859
[Edit: to craiglester]

I don't think it's fair to accuse Todd of being blasé about this. Who the hell knows what conversations Todd and John had before Todd's announcement? What more could you expect Todd to do on this? He acknowledged and publicized the error, he'll take returns on those previously delivered, and he made "cancel" the default position on your order until you confirmed that you still wanted them with the typo. Doesn't seem to me that Todd takes this anything other than very seriously.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #2,802 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This does raise a good point, no one but John & Todd (and maybe Jude) really know what the margins are. I'm pretty sure no one was going to be making a loss on these, right?
There's enough to add an extra $10 to Head-F1 from all of us who kept the order. (not the must customer friendly "offer" I've ever seen there).
That alone is somewhere in the region of $5000.. which would surely go some way to rectifying the error (and it's not like Jude was expecting this money either).

Todd has not been blase' about this. I thought his response was direct and very professional.

Why do audiophiles always want their arses kissed when something goes wrong? Stuff happens, people.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2,803 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What why throw Todd in there? That's not fair.

Agreed, Todd is the middle man. He didn't produce the product.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2,805 of 2,859
Quite frankly, I don't give a Rats' Ass about the printing errors on HF-2. What DOES count is the sound, and what we pay to obtain THAT sound quality.

I also don't care that the printing is long gone from my Joe Grado HP-2.

I received my HF-2 this past Monday and have been listening to them regularly ever since. I couldn't be happier with them, and will be trying for a 2nd pair - somehow. A factor that does concern me is - what will be happening to the value of my RS-1's - their only competition.
Just like the relentless reportage re Michael Jackson (the most normal individual in the Jackson family) - I'm more than a little weary of discussion of either these topics. ............meanwhile, it has NOT been reported that our US Congressmen are all walking around Washington D.C. completely naked ......and carrying open Pink Parasols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back