The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #2,806 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, time (labor) to sand down 475 cups
Then, pay to anodize 475 cups (again)
Then, pay to engrave 475 cups (again)

Probably would impact margins that are already tight.

Have you ever done metalworking before? The process creating the wax template and metal casting is ridiculously easy and fast. The cost to do it on a large scale is even easier because it eliminates the wait time. Done on a large scale, it doesn't cost much at all. The raw materials to make those cups are within ten dollars per pair.

Fixing it is expensive. Melt it and recast it is cheap.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2,807 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever done metalworking before? The process creating the wax template and metal casting is ridiculously easy and fast. The cost to do it on a large scale is even easier because it eliminates the wait time. Done on a large scale, it doesn't cost much at all. The raw materials to make those cups are within ten dollars per pair.

Fixing it is expensive. Melt it and recast it is cheap.

Those cups look milled, not cast...

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #2,808 of 2,859
deadhorse.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #2,812 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is still the most worthwhile post in the last 20 or so pages.

Yeah, the bickering is killing me - if I don't respond in here it's because I unsubscribed from this particular thread...

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2,813 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is todd sending out shipping confirmation emails to everyone who's hf2 are shipping today?

I received a confirmation email yesterday that Todd has shipped the cans (2nd batch) out. Hopefully, I will received them Saturday, if not on Monday. I chose priority mail b/c USPS delivers on Saturday. Its almost here...

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #2,814 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a confirmation email yesterday that Todd has shipped the cans (2nd batch) out. Hopefully, I will received them Saturday, if not on Monday. I chose priority mail b/c USPS delivers on Saturday. Its almost here...

congrats! I'm probably like 2 months away from hearing mine
frown.gif
lol

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #2,815 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Edit: to craiglester]

I don't think it's fair to accuse Todd of being blasé about this. Who the hell knows what conversations Todd and John had before Todd's announcement? What more could you expect Todd to do on this? He acknowledged and publicized the error, he'll take returns on those previously delivered, and he made "cancel" the default position on your order until you confirmed that you still wanted them with the typo. Doesn't seem to me that Todd takes this anything other than very seriously.

I was on Vacation this last week, and had I not checked in to Head-Fi on a whim, my order *could* have been cancelled (If I were in the next batch of 50 and I had not confirmed my order, it would presumably have been cancelled if it was in the next shipping - alas there's no way to know as Todd seems reluctant to confirm where we are in the queue?)*.

*It's not 100% clear if this is the case, but that's the impression I got.

I hadn't, and still haven't recieved any notification by e-mail about this, which I would have thought would be the first thing I'd do.. Last E-mail i got was the one stating there was a delay, a couple of weeks ago.

Still, it's just an opinion. I'm a little OCD on details (I'm a QC'er where I work), and wouldn't have sent *any* out like this myself, but seeing as I have no headphone business, I can't control it. As you may have noticed I did confirm my order though.
I don't like how any dissenting opinion is snidely seen as flogging a dead horse. Yes, I know they're not going to change it. Duh. I thought discourse was encouraged here
smily_headphones1.gif

My accepting the mistake (and yes, I have), doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I'm sure in time It won't bother me, but im sure I have as much right to be upset about it as say, John or Todd, seeing as I'm actually the one paying for it.

No offense was intended or implied, just my observation.

I'm hoping they're as good as people say, they may be my last big headphone purchase. Hah, doesn't everyone say that?
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #2,816 of 2,859
Quote:

Most customers are perfectly fine with a little typo on a limited production run that was not intended to be as profitable as Grado's regular line.

And you know this how? Did you take a survey of every single or 'most' purchasers? Are they truly 'perfectly' happy, or just settling as someone else said? Or just sucking up which I get from the tone of lots of posts.

Quote:

If Grado delivers my HF2s with obvious cosmetic defects that I can't live with, you better believe that I will be asking them to fix it. If Grado's little typographic errors existed on their regular, high-profit production run, I guarantee you they would fix it. But as of right now, they are delivering a niche, less profitable product that is being delivered with an acknowledged error. It's up to each individual to consider whether they think they can still value the product at $430. If they can, they buy. If not, Grado doesn't see a red cent, and this thing fades into headphone history.

Some people can't live with the '1' cosmetic defect but it's ok for you to tell them what to think, when other possible cosmetic defects that you deem unacceptable would warrant a repair? What makes you or anyone else the final arbiter, especially when it comes to other's opinions?

Also if we're meant to disregard the defect because it's a 'special gift' to the head-fi community what does profit have to do with it? Last I knew gifts weren't about profit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the silly bickering back and forth about complaining about the cosmetic defect is completely unproductive. Both sides have a legitimate argument.

John and Todd are not forcing anyone to buy the F1 phones. In fact, Todd went out of his way to notify the pre-orders that they would have to confirm their orders with full knowledge of the defect.

On the other side, I can see why some people are upset by how this was handled. Some people probably sold gear to drum up the money for the HF-2. I think most people in this camp would have been happy to wait a few more weeks or even a couple of months to have to the problem rectified.

The bottom line is that people complaining about the issues shouldn't be treated as ingrates. Most of them are just disappointed that this issue wasn't handled in a way that would have at least allowed those members concerned about the defect to get a set of "corrected" cups, even if it meant some extra waiting time.

We all appreciate what John and Todd have done. I remain forever grateful for the HF-1 which is my only full-size can at the moment. Pointing out what some people perceive to be a poor way of handling a manufacturing issue, cosmetic or otherwise, doesn't mean we don't appreciate the effort and intent.

Well said, I agree 100%.

=====
Also I think it would be nice if those who were fortunate enough to get correctly-made cans to kindly shush about the issue which does not effect them directly one bit. It's easy to have one of the few correct ones and say 'Hey you others are making too much of this.' Or if anyone in such a position would like to put their money where their mouth is I'll trade my F1's for your FI's. I'm guessing there won't be any takers.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #2,819 of 2,859
I quite like F1, might paint them red and put a horse on them.
wink.gif

As long as they are better than the 325's I would of had to settle for here I will be very happy to have this special edition rarity.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2,820 of 2,859
finally picked up my hf2...they were delivered a couple days ago but i was away and had someone else sign for them. am on another trip for the rest of the month so won't have a chance to listen to them for another few weeks...but i did get to see the "Head-F1" and had a nice chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back