The Grado HF2--It's For Real
Jul 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #2,836 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd figured the production number was going to be much higher. Now that it's capped at 500, as long as the cans are good, and it seems they are, the potential for them to appreciate over the long-term is greatly increased.

I can't understand how it would be advantageous to anyone who is committed to purchasing the HF-2 that this didn't happen. I'm glad the engraving issue occurred.

Personally, I'm actually surprised they're not yet sold out. I'd figured they would be by now. Watch what happens as soon as they're unavailable.

This is a totally rookie, bush league situation by Grado Labs.

Are you really in this to make few bucks on a flawed "collectors item"?? I couldn't care less about their future value, I was patiently waiting for professional product from Grado Labs. I have no intentions of ever selling my HF2's, as a PURE hobbiest I'm trying to find the best cans I can enjoy with pride for the rest of my life...

If you're just looking to make a few random bucks on personal headphone sales, there are many QUALITY vintage/classic RS1 floating around now that offer terrific future value...don't listen to them though, you won't want to sell them... :wink:

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #2,837 of 2,859
Quote:

I'd figured the production number was going to be much higher. Now that it's capped at 500, as long as the cans are good, and it seems they are, the potential for them to appreciate over the long-term is greatly increased.

I can't understand how it would be advantageous to anyone who is committed to purchasing the HF-2 that this didn't happen. I'm glad the engraving issue occurred.

Personally, I'm actually surprised they're not yet sold out. I'd figured they would be by now. Watch what happens as soon as they're unavailable.

I guess these are part of your retirement plan?

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2,839 of 2,859
Quote:

I was trying to read something about headphones and I accidentally ended up on an investment forum.

Seriously, those who are viewing these phones as an investment vehicle, c'mon

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2,840 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a $429 pair of headphones that plays in the same space as $1700 grado ps1000s. It's not a $90k sports car.

I think you make the point brilliantly. The 911 is a pretty cheap sports car. It costs about 4 times a decent pedestrian car. A 911 is not an Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, you name it. A HF-2 cost 4 times what an MS-1 costs.

A 911 is a quality product and occupies about the same Niche in it's realm that the HF-2 does. The HF-2 should be in the same spot for it's realm. And it should be easier to get an HF-2 right as opposed to a 911.

Both are enthusiast products.

Since you and I are on such Good terms, I'm willing to make you quite a deal on my ROLIX! Keeps time perfectly!

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #2,841 of 2,859
HF2.

initial impression is that the HF2 is like most other grados - shouty and aggressive with a narrow stage/forward presentation and a slightly grainy sound, but the headphone also is surprisingly smooth (non bright) with good impactful bass (nice on percussion) which is great on vocals, sweet on guitar and most importantly has the ability to draw oneself into the music. if you like the grado sound, you will like these. whether they are any better than other models in the same price range, not sure.

as for the error, it seems impossible that grado did not know about it. and i think they handled the sale of the headphone - just sending them out and hoping for the best - quite poorly.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #2,842 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a $429 pair of headphones that plays in the same space as $1700 grado ps1000s. It's not a $90k sports car.

[size=x-small]We'll see. The PS1000 impressions have been polarizing. I hope the HF2 is better.[/size]

[size=x-small]The comparison to the sports car was clearly conceptual...quality/detail is only compromised on low-end products. Even then, that's unacceptable...do quality at every level or don't do anything at all..[/size]

[size=x-small]Nobody(that I'm aware of) received the HF2 for free. It is not any type of gift. It is being presented as a high-end product and we all paid respectable hard earned money for it. [/size]

[size=x-small]We, the best customers, could have been Grado's best future marketing for a total quality package. Too bad they didn't share the same vision... [/size]

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #2,843 of 2,859
gawd..is this bitching still going on.. The mistake has been owned up to, but there isn''t much restitution apart from the 10$/HF2 given to support the community. So get over it..buy it or leave it. I don't see you chaps making such a hullabaloo over the Audio Gd mis-spellings on their products..

les_garten are you even buying a HF2? Give it a rest will you.

And LaidBack, IMO the HF-2 is miles better than the PS1000, then again to each his own. If you are getting the HF-2 then do post impressions on it.am sure they will be much appreciated. This rambling about the engraving is like flogging the proverbial dead horse.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #2,844 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to read something about headphones and I accidentally ended up on an investment forum.

Seriously, those who are viewing these phones as an investment vehicle, c'mon

I totally agree, if any head-fi members motivation for owning the HF2 is to make taco money, I can only assume they already work at Taco Bell.

If you're looking for real investment opportinuites, try the BDI and the dry bulk shippers for long term, highly lucrative deals...they make the world(US, China, Brazil) function...

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #2,845 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gawd..is this bitching still going on.. The mistake has been owned up to, but there isn''t much restitution apart from the 10$/HF2 given to support the community. So get over it..buy it or leave it. I don't see you chaps making such a hullabaloo over the Audio Gd mis-spellings on their products..

les_garten are you even buying a HF2? Give it a rest will you.

And LaidBack, IMO the HF-2 is miles better than the PS1000, then again to each his own. If you are getting the HF-2 then do post impressions on it.am sure they will be much appreciated. This rambling about the engraving is like flogging the proverbial dead horse.

I have one on order, have stated it before in this thread. If it sounds good, I'll keep it. I don't think it's cute, or quirky. I think there was carelessness and inattention to detail.

I took A-GD to school on the Typos and you surely have to know that. I'm the one who brought the Typos up there, and raised hell about it. And the same nonsense went on there about it not being a big deal. A $1000 headamp with the inputs labeled with poorly cut stick on tape, instead of changing out the mislabeled panel. Guess what the excuse was? It doesn't affect the sound! Guess who was over there raising hell about the typos, some of the same people that are over here saying it's no big deal for Typos with the HF-2. Figure that one out. Any vendor that peddles this type of product output needs to be taken to task for his decision. This "Final" mistake had so many opportunities to not occur.

Bickering requires at least two parties. As long as one party discounts the others feelings about a provable wrong, it goes on.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2,846 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And LaidBack, IMO the HF-2 is miles better than the PS1000, then again to each his own....

Sachu, I sure hope you're right...

[size=x-small]I've been reading all of these HF2 threads from day one, for all of the right reasons...[/size]

[size=x-small]I'm a PURE hobbiest. I never expected the HF2 to be Grado's best can ever, and I find the reviews claiming to be so very premature/suspect. I sure hope that it's true because that sure would be a pure lucky strike for the long haul. Whether you like it or not, I'll be here injecting my beliefs on quality, for all of our benefit. As we see, the companies can choose to ignore, LOL...[/size]

[size=x-small]I've recently bought an amazing and flawless set of vintage/classic RS1 for around the same price of the HF2. These are clearly very impressive cans...thank God the team working on them simply knew the diff between numbers and letters...they made a audio/visual masterpiece... :))[/size]

[size=x-small]I'm not hard to please at all...but yes, there's no excuse for blatant incompetence and lack of customer respect...[/size]

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #2,848 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a totally rookie, bush league situation by Grado Labs.

Are you really in this to make few bucks on a flawed "collectors item"?? I couldn't care less about their future value, I was patiently waiting for professional product from Grado Labs. I have no intentions of ever selling my HF2's, as a PURE hobbiest I'm trying to find the best cans I can enjoy with pride for the rest of my life...

If you're just looking to make a few random bucks on personal headphone sales, there are many QUALITY vintage/classic RS1 floating around now that offer terrific future value...don't listen to them though, you won't want to sell them... :wink:

I've written my assessment of this situation in great detail earlier in this thread.

If you don't care about their future value, you shouldn't care about their present value. If you don't care about their present value, the value of quality control has no meaning.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #2,849 of 2,859
Quote:

I've written my assessment of this situation in great detail earlier in this thread.

If you don't care about their future value, you shouldn't care about their present value. If you don't care about their present value, the value of quality control has no meaning.

Wow, your thoughts are totally FUBAR'ed

The cans cost a VERY REAL $440(shipped, minimum) to get them into your home in the here and now...nothing here is free...you clealry have no clue about money(NPV/FPV), so there's no need to waste time talking about quality...don't be a brainless sheep...

Go have another drink....
beerchug.gif

P.S. Read my posts again, I want to buy great quality cans and enjoy them forever....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back