Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
impressions please!

another way of saying " Temp me please to swipe my plaSTIic"
floatsmile.png

May 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #62 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a nice looking phone. I think John Grado should be applauded for this gesture. It really is a unique Grado just for Head-fiers. However, based on its appearance I'm a little surprised to read that it has greater soundstage than the RS1i. The depth of the chamber looks more akin to the Prestige line, whereas the RS1i appears deeper to me (use of flats or bowls notwithstanding). I await more reviews with great interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put the RS1 and HF2 side by side and looked at the depth of their cups and even though I don't remember which one's deeper but they weren't all that different as I recall. However, I did think the soundstage on the HF2 is bigger than the RS1.

Note: Impressions of cans at the meet should really be taken as a grain of salt(especially for open cans) as the environment is generally noisy. I would say auditioning cans at a meet would only tell you if you like the sound signature of the headphone.

Just a tip from my experience auditioning the Ms-Pro and the RS1. A more forward mids tend to give the impression of a smaller soundstage. In the case of Ms Pro & RS1, the RS1's mids are more forward, thus the impression of a smaller soundstage, but actually they're the same.

In the case of the HF2 & RS1, the same thing might have happened. The more forward mids of the RS1 gives an impression of a smaller soundstage.

Just a suggestion though. Looking at the chamber, I think the soundstage would be more or less the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wang228 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the effort Bullseye. Much appreciated. Please keep the list updated.

X2

beerchug.gif

May 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #63 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a tip from my experience auditioning the Ms-Pro and the RS1. A more forward mids tend to give the impression of a smaller soundstage. In the case of Ms Pro & RS1, the RS1's mids are more forward, thus the impression of a smaller soundstage, but actually they're the same.

In the case of the HF2 & RS1, the same thing might have happened. The more forward mids of the RS1 gives an impression of a smaller soundstage.

Just a suggestion though. Looking at the chamber, I think the soundstage would be more or less the same.

X2

beerchug.gif

Not only the air-chamber and distance between the drivers and ears is relevant when it comes to soundstage. It also comes down to microdetails and the perfect timing of time shifts between the right and left channel and how detailed they are reproduced. That's why cheap transducers in the shell of K701, GS-1000 or HD-6x0 still won't give you the sensation of a large soundstage.

May 31, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #64 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not only the air-chamber and distance between the drivers and ears is relevant when it comes to soundstage. It also comes down to microdetails and the perfect timing of time shifts between the right and left channel and how detailed they are reproduced. That's why cheap transducers in the shell of K701, GS-1000 or HD-6x0 still won't give you the sensation of a large soundstage.

I do not think that those transducers are all together cheap. I estimate that those that you list only cost about $45 a set on average, but that is high cost in the headphone driver area for currently in production parts.

May 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #65 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think that those transducers are all together cheap. I estimate that those that you list only cost about $45 a set on average, but that is high cost in the headphone driver area for currently in production parts.

Yeah of course. With "cheap transducers" I was refering to some noname thingies.

May 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #66 of 1,528
I listened to a few songs yesterday with the HF-2 and the Manley 300B preamplifier. The phones were light on the head and felt about as confortable as any Grado's I've tried. As for sound-I was surprised as they were dark sounding, unlike most of the Grado's I've heard in the past. Overall I liked them, but I'm worried they are too rolled off in the high end. They kind of reminded me of a HD650 but with a more prominent mid-range. Now I'm sure the Manley 300B pre had an effect on the sound, so take this with a grain of salt. I hope to make it back today to listen again so that I'll have a more concrete opinion. It's so hard to make a call on gear when you listen to a few songs(never heard before), in a noisy room, with gear you don't know. My initial impression is if the high end opens up I could really like them.

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #67 of 1,528
Wow! For some time I was battling what Grado to buy an RS1 or a GS1k. after auditioning quite a few RS1s (vintage, buttoned and the new i's) and the new GS1000i. I found the RS1i better for my taste. I just needed more bass from it and I wouldn't be thinking so much now.

But after the reading initial impressions. I think I might jump the gun for a HF2.If only this were available for auditioning here. Anyway the hf2 being far less more costly than an RS1i and the GS1k. I belive this would be a good option for me and my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Does anyone know if the HF2 has the newer grado cables of the "i" series? Thanks!

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #68 of 1,528
Me thinks it has the newer grado cables. You can read it in one of the last impressions on the first post ^^

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #69 of 1,528
It definitely looks like it has the new cable. The ones on my older RS-1 aren't nearly as thick as the ones in the hf2 photos.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #70 of 1,528
let's hope

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #71 of 1,528
one of the impressions said the cable is very thick, much thicker than the old cable he/she had on another grado. Btw thanks bullseye for doing this, it is much needed since the main hf2 thread is so long.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #72 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of the impressions said the cable is very thick, much thicker than the old cable he/she had on another grado. Btw thanks bullseye for doing this, it is much needed since the main hf2 thread is so long.

All Grados since around Jan/Feb use the New i cable.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #73 of 1,528
Well I still haven't found a reasonable review/impression in 5 pages, the purpose of this thread is getting lost with speculations and all the other stuff that goes on with them.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #74 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I still haven't found a reasonable review/impression in 5 pages, the purpose of this thread is getting lost with speculations and all the other stuff that goes on with them.

Have you looked over page one "Recently"?

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #75 of 1,528
vkvedam that is to be expected sadly, as only a handful have them so far and they are either traveling home or just not accustomed to make a review yet. Probably around the 2nd week or even 3rd week in June we should have some concrete reviews! And no doubt they will keep on coming for awhile! I hope to get mine soon to do this myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back