The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #92 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, it's nice to see a detailed impression finally.

Can you perhaps comment how it compares to your modded D2000? I also own one and would like to know how in your view the HF-2 compares to it.

The D2000 have always sounded like a closed can - the HF-2 sound like an open can. It's hard to compare apples to oranges. At this point in time I am enjoying the HF-2 more (along with my other open cans). In general I like open cans more, but I always want to have a nice closed can around for certain listening. There are times when I want to do some quiet night-time listening with my wife asleep, or I want to blast electronic with pounding deep subterranean bass notes and the D2000 are what I grab for that. I had to choose between selling the modded D2000 or re-cabled Edition 9 to pay for my HD800 (which I like more than any of the others), and it was the 9's that had to go. So, that says something about the D2000.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #93 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 have always sounded like a closed can - the HF-2 sound like an open can. It's hard to compare apples to oranges. At this point in time I am enjoying the HF-2 more (along with my other open cans). In general I like open cans more, but I always want to have a nice closed can around for certain listening. There are times when I want to do some quiet night-time listening with my wife asleep, or I want to blast electronic with pounding deep subterranean bass notes and the D2000 are what I grab for that. I had to choose between selling the modded D2000 or re-cabled Edition 9 to pay for my HD800 (which I like more than any of the others), and it was the 9's that had to go. So, that says something about the D2000.

Thanks for taking your time to respond. The bass of this D2000 is really something I agree which makes me sometimes miss my Denon when listening to open cans. Sigh... I guess we cannot have everything eh?

Lastly, how does the midrange of your Denon compare to the HF-2? One thing that seems a bit lacking in the Denon is its midrange. Is the HF-2 a clear-cut winner in this case?

P.S. Just to make sure, this HF-2 doesn't have the shrillness some of the Grado cans possess right? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #94 of 1,528
I have never heard a grado that didn't have phenomenal mids. The HF-2 will be no different. Can't comment on highs, I've never heard them, but people are generally saying they are not as harsh.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #96 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for taking your time to respond. The bass of this D2000 is really something I agree which makes me sometimes miss my Denon when listening to open cans. Sigh... I guess we cannot have everything eh?

Lastly, how does the midrange of your Denon compare to the HF-2? One thing that seems a bit lacking in the Denon is its midrange. Is the HF-2 a clear-cut winner in this case?

P.S. Just to make sure, this HF-2 doesn't have the shrillness some of the Grado cans possess right? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

HF-2 mids are better than the D2000 mids (as are the nicer ESW10JPN mids), because the D2000 are slightly recessed. Doing a partial markl mod and markl wood cups and APS v2 cable all improve the mids, but doesn't completely restore them to what they should be.

There is no shrillness to the treble of the HF-2 that I heard.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #97 of 1,528
Was there any amps at can jam that synergized especially well with HF-2? Just wondering if MAD ear+ is still the way to go for grado

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #98 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the HF-2 housing/cup looks closer to the RS-2 size, and it is not as deep as the RS-1. The HF-2 cup is also about 3mm total diameter wider than the RS-1 cup. I like the looks of the shallower HF-2 cup.

Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #99 of 1,528
Thanks, Larry. I think I've made up my decision for now.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #101 of 1,528
I can't wait to get mine to compare to my RS-1s.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #102 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was there any amps at can jam that synergized especially well with HF-2? Just wondering if MAD ear+ is still the way to go for grado

I don't know what a MAD Ear sounds like but I have found that my HF-2s sound best with a higher powered amp. Listening to them on the overbuilt balanced M^3 they sound excellent. Driving them with a lesser portable amp they can be a bit unwieldy. Highs lose a bit and the control of the ample bass these guys put out lessens with a lower powered amp.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #103 of 1,528
I have to agree with the consensus on whats been said about the HF2. I spent a lot of time with Headphone addicts HF2's on sunday. I was listening to it from my zune and nuforce icon mobile on high gain.

I definately was blown away. The bass impact was definately more than i was expecting so punchy but not overwhelming. The electric guitar soared with no shrillness or sibilance. The mids were perfect, i was right there in the front row, the cans were so involving i had a hard time not acting stupid while in the ttvj room.

It did everything well and was way more comfortable than almost any other grado i tried that day except for the PS-1000. The Headband definately has more padding and i am not sure what pads were on the cads because i dont think they were stock. But i am almost certainly getting a pair of these headphones...

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #104 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids were perfect, i was right there in the front row, the cans were so involving i had a hard time not acting stupid while in the ttvj room.

I like your honesty.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back