The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
May 31, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #31 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by mystiky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound
Wooden housing with an outer metal case. Sounds more neutral than the rs1. The sound is very unGrado. A baby ps1000 is a fairly accurate statement. This is from listen at ttvj booth at can jam.

So you like the RS-1i more than the HF-2?

How did you reach that conclusion from the quoted text?

My interpretation is: normal'' Grados tend to be more colored, so HF-2 is unGrado.

May 31, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #32 of 1,528
I don't quite agree with brokensound in some areas. First of all, my impression was that the soundstage was definitely smaller in the HF-2. Also, neutrality isn't quite the HF-2s strongpoint. It wasn't nearly as "neutral" as the K701 or HD650.

However, I do believe that the RS-1 might be a bit more fatiguing, but at the same time more fun.

May 31, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite agree with brokensound in some areas. First of all, my impression was that the soundstage was definitely smaller in the HF-2. Also, neutrality isn't quite the HF-2s strongpoint. It wasn't nearly as "neutral" as the K701 or HD650.

However, I do believe that the RS-1 might be a bit more fatiguing, but at the same time more fun.

From my brief audition with the HF2, I would say it might be more neutral than the 650, but agree that it is less so than the 701.

May 31, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 1,528
Don't bash the HF-2 they are royalty as is any HF model. Just they are a different FLAVOR to love. Just things liek how is the bass, mids, highs, soundstage, etc
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #35 of 1,528
It's a nice looking phone. I think John Grado should be applauded for this gesture. It really is a unique Grado just for Head-fiers. However, based on its appearance I'm a little surprised to read that it has greater soundstage than the RS1i. The depth of the chamber looks more akin to the Prestige line, whereas the RS1i appears deeper to me (use of flats or bowls notwithstanding). I await more reviews with great interest.

May 31, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 1,528
I put the RS1 and HF2 side by side and looked at the depth of their cups and even though I don't remember which one's deeper but they weren't all that different as I recall. However, I did think the soundstage on the HF2 is bigger than the RS1.

Note: Impressions of cans at the meet should really be taken as a grain of salt(especially for open cans) as the environment is generally noisy. I would say auditioning cans at a meet would only tell you if you like the sound signature of the headphone.

May 31, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #37 of 1,528
I have s/n 5 of the HF-2's and it is a great headphone period. All you need is a flea fart amp and you get good sound right out of the box. No upper midrange rise that makes other Grado's grating.

From the vocal aerobics of the Group Take 6 to Vivaldi Violin Concertos back to the Rage of Jimmy Page's guitar it can cover all the bases. I was pleasantly taken aback by the performance of this lil' guy.

I put flats on immediately out of the box (I hate bowls) and I appreciate the quality of playback. Even when the cost of donating to the community is taken into consideration you can look at these and place them in a best buy category.

May 31, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #38 of 1,528
Quote:

Sounds like Jude's initial comments about the HF-2 having a similar sound signature to the HF-1 was valid. Does the HF-2 have more bass quantity than the RS-1? That would be a good indicator that it has more in common with the HF-1, at least as far as general balance is concerned.

May 31, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #39 of 1,528
Thanks guys for all the early impressions on the phones!
Maybe it's just me. I actually don't care if the HF2 sound better than RS1 or not. I just hope they sound DIFFERENT to RS1 and other Grado models. But either way I am a happy bunny knowing that they look good, sound good and will be arriving at my doorstep in a few weeks.

May 31, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #40 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for all the early impressions on the phones!
Maybe it's just me. I actually don't care if the HF2 sound better than RS1 or not. I just hope they sound DIFFERENT to RS1 and other Grado models. But either way I am a happy bunny knowing that they look good, sound good and will be arriving at my doorstep in a few weeks.

Yes, if the upfront character of the RS-1 wasn't to your taste you will like the HF-2. Being "better" from one to another is subjective and up to the listener.

May 31, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #41 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put the RS1 and HF2 side by side and looked at the depth of their cups and even though I don't remember which one's deeper but they weren't all that different as I recall. However, I did think the soundstage on the HF2 is bigger than the RS1.

Note: Impressions of cans at the meet should really be taken as a grain of salt(especially for open cans) as the environment is generally noisy. I would say auditioning cans at a meet would only tell you if you like the sound signature of the headphone.

Okay, so the HF2 is closer in size to the RS1 rather than the RS2?

May 31, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #42 of 1,528
Quote:

I don't find "fun" at all when anything is fatiguing. I never liked the 701 (no foundation) and the 650 needs a great amp (preferably balanced). You don't need the state of the proverbial art system to enjoy the balance offered by the HF-2. Most bang...least bucks.

May 31, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #43 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so the HF2 is closer in size to the RS1 rather than the RS2?

I have not seen an RS2 in person. There was, however, an RS1 right below the HF2 at TTVJ's booth.

May 31, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #44 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if the upfront character of the RS-1 wasn't to your taste you will like the HF-2. Being "better" from one to another is subjective and up to the listener.

I actually like the forward sounding RS1. Just wouldn't mind having another pair of Grado that are little different.
Can't wait!

May 31, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #45 of 1,528
I listened to both the RS1 and HF2 on flats. In terms of Grado experience, I have a sr60 I use w/ my laptop at work (for the last 2+ years). I tried moving up to the sr125, but found them too fatiguing to listen long-term w/ my laptop as source. I tried a buddy's 325i for a month and found that too bright and fatiguing.

I'm not saying the HF2 is completely neutral. I said they were more neutral than the RS1. The sound of the HF2 is definitely more relaxed in comparisons to the RS1. My friend agrees. When discussing it with one of the vendor @ the TTVJ booth, he agreed they were more neutral than the RS1 and "un-Grado sounding".

As a disclaimer, Can-Jam is a fairly noisy environment using an unfamiliar amp + DAC. In contrast, my usual setup: modded x-fi => OMZ => Darkvoice 332 => k701/hd600; which might explain why I enjoy the HF2 more than the RS1.

I'm sure the lucky folks who got their HF2s early are burning it in and will write a more in-depth review. This is just a quick impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back