The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Sep 30, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #3,601 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem now is my girlfriend has decided she doesnt want customs. She has decided she "is not supporting or encouraging my ridiculous obsession with expensive things I don't need" so I am gonna see if I can find someone else who wants them.. Not sure who tho,

I have a question for all you SuperFreq/any other triple driver owners out there: How many holes do they have for the sound to come out of? Aparently these triple drivers from hearyourself have two, one for the dual bass drivers and one for the mids/highs. Is this normal or should they be triple bored if they are triple driver?

First, instead of getting a second single driver pair, use the extra $$ to get the detachable cables. You WILL regret it eventually. Is it at all cold where you live? I think that may have contributed to mine falling apart (it snows here in the winter). Mine only lasted a few months, so at best do you think you will get a year or two? I considered my customs a sort of long term investment (I realize it isn't a real investment hehe) and don't want to buy a pair every year or so.

Something to think about... The folks here are pretty knowledgeable about headphones, right? Has even a single person said you don't need the detachable cable?

In regards to the ports, they only have 2 sound ports. Take look at the image on the previous page that displayed a single driver vs a triple driver. They aren't triple drivers like a home stereo with low, mid, high. It's more like low, low, high
wink.gif

Gatto, even a single driver custom will sound significantly better then your iBuds. With IEMs, a better seal yields better sound quality. There are other advantages as well. Customs are more comfortable. They can actually save your hearing too! Because they block out background noise, you can listen at lower volumes as opposed to the buds where you would have to turn them up loud enough to drown out the background noise (ie the music is louder then the background noise).

You asked if triple vs single makes a difference. I suspect the difference between single and double is larger then double and triple, but single vs triple will be HUGE! Granted, I haven't heard the single driver FreQs (or the duals for that matter) or anything from this new vendor, but I have heard other single driver IEMs (Shures, can't recall model as they were borrowed). You just can't make a waveform accurately, that covers the entire sound spectrum, with a single driver. Why do you think they make home and car speakers with all the little speakers inside one bigger unit?

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #3,602 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You asked if triple vs single makes a difference. I suspect the difference between single and double is larger then double and triple, but single vs triple will be HUGE! Granted, I haven't heard the single driver FreQs (or the duals for that matter) or anything from this new vendor, but I have heard other single driver IEMs (Shures, can't recall model as they were borrowed). You just can't make a waveform accurately, that covers the entire sound spectrum, with a single driver. Why do you think they make home and car speakers with all the little speakers inside one bigger unit?

Well, if you look at the price differential (for the fixed cables, as an example cuz I know the prices) from hearyourself:
Single driver: $110
Dual driver: $250
Triple driver: $300
And for the freqs:
Single driver: $100
Dual driver: $190
Triple Driver: $240
In both cases the price jump from single to dual ($140/$90) is significantly more than the jump from dual to triple ($50/$50) so you could reasonably expect that the single to dual is the big jump in quality/difficulty of manufacture so you'd reasonably expect them to sound much better.

It's not cold here at all, no, in fact it's warm all the time, I live in Australia. I guess you're right, I'll see how much it will cost to get the triples with a detachable cable but $50 seems like a lot of money (I think that's what it costs) and I don't see how the cord could wear out, really. I have had many many pairs of headphones before (never custom IEMs, granted) and I have NEVER worn out a cable. The connector on my big MDR-V700DJs is a little dodgy after nearly 5yrs heavy use but I don't really see how the cord could wear out.. Are they really that fragile?

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #3,603 of 3,960
Quote:

Freq are, yes, but EyeAmEye and, uh, I are talking about buying monitors from hearyourself.com. They don't seem to be quite as well known around here are the freqs or the livewires but they have good specs and a very reasonable price so we're giving them a shot.

I would get freqs though, if I could wait until next year, but I don't think I can so I'm looking at these ones..

How about you start a thread and keep us updated on how it goes?

I am interested to hear about them but I think it is not fair and confusing to people who are searching for FreQ info in this thread.

beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #3,604 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you start a thread and keep us updated on how it goes?

I am interested to hear about them but I think it is not fair and confusing to people who are searching for FreQ info in this thread.

beerchug.gif

Good point, doubletaps, this is probably getting a little confusing, I shall start a new thread about these to avoid confusion. Apologies to anyone who was/is confused
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #3,605 of 3,960
what I'm trying to decide is should I get single driver attached cable and expect them to be throw away headphones that only last a year or two tops or should I spend the extra and get dual driver detachable wire headphones, will they last more then 2 years (unless I break them) ? if I get the dual with the detachable cables I'll probably wait for freQ to be back up and running because I like the look and the prices are lower.

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3,606 of 3,960
Quote:

Well, if you look at the price differential (for the fixed cables, as an example cuz I know the prices) from hearyourself:
Single driver: $110
Dual driver: $250
Triple driver: $300
And for the freqs:
Single driver: $100
Dual driver: $190
Triple Driver: $240
In both cases the price jump from single to dual ($140/$90) is significantly more than the jump from dual to triple ($50/$50) so you could reasonably expect that the single to dual is the big jump in quality/difficulty of manufacture so you'd reasonably expect them to sound much better.

It's not cold here at all, no, in fact it's warm all the time, I live in Australia. I guess you're right, I'll see how much it will cost to get the triples with a detachable cable but $50 seems like a lot of money (I think that's what it costs) and I don't see how the cord could wear out, really. I have had many many pairs of headphones before (never custom IEMs, granted) and I have NEVER worn out a cable. The connector on my big MDR-V700DJs is a little dodgy after nearly 5yrs heavy use but I don't really see how the cord could wear out.. Are they really that fragile?

There is a big jump from single to dual because they are adding a second driver and sound tube and a crossover. There is a significant increase in the amount of work to make the duals. Triples, on the other hand, are not harder then the duals to make. They just replace the single base driver component with a dual driver component. It still uses a single sound tube, so from a manufacturing standpoint, there is little or no difference. They just use a different part.

Are they that fragile? Maybe not, but mine failed within the first few months. Of course, I was one of the first people to order my SuperFreqs and The FreQ said the cable was defective, so maybe mine aren't a good example. Maybe it's the motion of insertion and removal that subjects the cable to more stress then with a traditional headphone. I don't know. I do know that I would NEVER buy another custom without a detachable cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I'm trying to decide is should I get single driver attached cable and expect them to be throw away headphones that only last a year or two tops or should I spend the extra and get dual driver detachable wire headphones, will they last more then 2 years (unless I break them) ? if I get the dual with the detachable cables I'll probably wait for freQ to be back up and running because I like the look and the prices are lower.

If you read above, I'm not sure I should use my FreqShows as an example of cable longevity, but I still wouldn't consider customs without a detachable cable. Would your single drivers be a "throw away"? Not really. And for $100+ I'd hate to consider anything disposable. When the fixed cable finally fails, you might be able to get it replaced still, but it will take some time and cost a little $$. If you factor in that cost plus shipping and your time without the customs (trust me, this is a big one once you have good fitting customs), I suspect it is well worth the money to get the detachable cable.

There is another advantage to detachable cables that hasn't been mentioned. Sure you can try other cable materials to try and improve SQ, but you can also buy (or make?) different length cables of the same materials. You could have a short cable for the gym or running and a longer one when you're at home for example.

I've read this thread since day 1, and the consensus has been that detachable cables are a worthwhile upgrade. If you can find someone here that thinks they aren't important, then go for it! So far, everyone that has commented has said you should spend a little more for the detachable cable. Of course, this is head-fi. We're always telling ourselves (and others) to just spend a little bit more for this or that
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #3,607 of 3,960
thanks! I think I'll wait for freQ to come back try their dual drivers with a detachable cable.

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #3,608 of 3,960
Quote:

thanks! I think I'll wait for freQ to come back try their dual drivers with a detachable cable.

You could always get some Livewires. I think they are a fine product. The reason I chose FreQs is because of the connector. I didn't like that brass connector they use, but lately I've been thinking about ordering a pair. Damn you head-fi! lol
very_evil_smiley.gif

$250 for a dual driver that, based on the reviews, has equal sound quality and a very similar sound signature.

I wouldn't blame you for waiting for the FreQ, but I'm a bit biased
wink.gif

The only issue with waiting is they might not come back. Sure, they say they are taking a break to reevaluate their business and all that, but we all know what's happening in the marketplace. Maybe they can't get anymore money to keep running. I hope they come back better and stronger, but even as an optimist, I have some lingering doubts.
frown.gif

If you aren't in a hurry and have to save a little more $$ anyway, then a few months won't matter. If I were in a hurry and wanted to order today, I would get some Livewires.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #3,609 of 3,960
I like the look of the freQs better, definitely a huge fan of the custom art option and I don't like how the livewire cables look. this is going to sound really stupid but look is up there with SQ for me (not to say if ibuds were adorable I'd be using those but if I'm going to spend a lot of money I want it to sound good and look good). I can wait a few months, it will give me a good excuse not to buy other things (like a good portable amp for my K701s) if they don't come back I'd be a little sad but what can you do? I'll probably end up getting livewires if that happens.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #3,610 of 3,960
Quote:

I like the look of the freQs better, definitely a huge fan of the custom art option and I don't like how the livewire cables look. this is going to sound really stupid but look is up there with SQ for me (not to say if ibuds were adorable I'd be using those but if I'm going to spend a lot of money I want it to sound good and look good). I can wait a few months, it will give me a good excuse not to buy other things (like a good portable amp for my K701s) if they don't come back I'd be a little sad but what can you do? I'll probably end up getting livewires if that happens.

Doesn't sound stupid at all, I completely agree with you. I don't really like the look of the livewires either. Realistically, we're talking about high end audio equipment here and it's all gonna sound good, probably better than my humble ears can really comprehend but the custom look of customs is important to me and I think a lot of the livewires look the same.

I want to get some custom artwork on mine, I think, but I really don't know what to get.. The only thing that I've really been passionate about for as long as I can remember (and am likely to remain passionate about) is racing but getting the McLaren logo (below) might look kinda stupid
tongue.gif

Logo_Mclaren.gif

I dunno, it's all too much effort to think about this stuff!

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #3,611 of 3,960
Quote:

You could always get some Livewires. I think they are a fine product. The reason I chose FreQs is because of the connector. I didn't like that brass connector they use, but lately I've been thinking about ordering a pair. Damn you head-fi! lol
very_evil_smiley.gif

$250 for a dual driver that, based on the reviews, has equal sound quality and a very similar sound signature.

I wouldn't blame you for waiting for the FreQ, but I'm a bit biased
wink.gif

The only issue with waiting is they might not come back. Sure, they say they are taking a break to reevaluate their business and all that, but we all know what's happening in the marketplace. Maybe they can't get anymore money to keep running. I hope they come back better and stronger, but even as an optimist, I have some lingering doubts.
frown.gif

If you aren't in a hurry and have to save a little more $$ anyway, then a few months won't matter. If I were in a hurry and wanted to order today, I would get some Livewires.

That is what I think is happening. It "has" to be a money/surviving issue. I have not been able to get a hold of them lately to finish a pending order from before the "shutdown", so right now, since I still want to have a second set, I am 99% sure I will get the livewires (and paint the connector black!)
wink_face.gif

Will

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #3,612 of 3,960
I'm not a happy man. I happen to order the last pair of FreQShows's I believe from FreQ just before their shutdown. And you know what? I have sent 7 e-mail's and voicemail's to them but they have yet to reply. Man, what am I going to do? The payment has even already transacted and I have been waiting for 8 days since my impressions have arrive at their place. They even said their approximation build is only 5-7 days. WtHeck.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3,613 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a happy man. I happen to order the last pair of FreQShows's I believe from FreQ just before their shutdown. And you know what? I have sent 7 e-mail's and voicemail's to them but they have yet to reply. Man, what am I going to do? The payment has even already transacted and I have been waiting for 8 days since my impressions have arrive at their place. They even said their approximation build is only 5-7 days. WtHeck.

You will get them. I assume you used a credit card to pay for them, so don't worry. You can always call the credit card company to dispute the charge if you haven't heard form them in a couple weeks.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #3,614 of 3,960
Quote:

You will get them. I assume you used a credit card to pay for them, so don't worry. You can always call the credit card company to dispute the charge if you haven't heard form them in a couple weeks.

No actually, I used paypal, so it's less reassuring...Sighs...everyone says in the thread that FreQ has excellent service...But I don't feel it at all. I mean even if they are shutting down at the moment, there is no real reason for them not to give the same service for the current customers...Extremely disappointed...Thanks though Hayduke.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3,615 of 3,960
Quote:

Is this true with any credit card transaction? Like if I pay someone with paypal using my credit card, can they reverse the transaction at a later date if I get screwed over??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back