The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Sep 26, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #3,571 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't look bad. They say they have been making them for others. I wonder who?

I wouldn't get the ones you linked to though. Get their "C" class with the detachable cord. Those "A" line models with the fixed cords don't look like they will last that long. Plus, it's only $50 for the detachable cord.

If you get them, make sure you start a thread about them.

I don't know who they make them for, they haven't said and I doubt they will tell me if I ask. I have spoken to the guy (his name is Andre) a few times, I have asked him about a hundred questions and he has been very prompt in replying and very knowledgeable as far as I can tell..

I am not really bothered about the detachable cord, to be honest, is this a mistake? The way I'm looking at it, their dual driver, fixed cords are $250, dual driver detachable cords are $300. But for $300 I can get the triple driver, fixed cord... Basically, I offered the guy $350 for a pair of triple driver fixed cords and a pair of single driver fixed cords for my girlfriend. Is it really worth getting a detachable cord? Seems like a feature I would never use..

CoinSlot, those look AWESOME! So jealous right now, I wish I could order some freqs but I really don't think I can wait till next year
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #3,573 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by CoinSlot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally arrived!

IMG_2896.JPG

More/better pics in the light of day tomorrow.

Those are righteous! Is that custom art work or from Freq? Id like to find a cool graphic as well

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #3,574 of 3,960
A Disturbed fan I see...nice artwork, Coinslot, they look very cool.

Stikk, you are probably always better off with the detachable cable and you may find yourself curious as to what different cables can offer in SQ. The detachable cable makes that possible. It looks like those IEMS use the same cord as the FreQ, and if that is so, an upgrade to a UE cable would most likely give it a boost in SQ. If you can spare the $50, go with detachable.

I emailed hearyourself about some color/artwork options. Curiosity has gotten the better of me once again. A new member of my custom family is around the corner methinks...

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #3,575 of 3,960
Those look awesome kbuzz! I almost did that same color choice but I opted to make right/left different colors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stikk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really worth getting a detachable cord? Seems like a feature I would never use..(

Yes.

I'm reluctant to add anymore since, IMHO, it is worth it 100%. It's pretty simple. The cord WILL wear out. It's not a matter of if it will wear out, only of when it will happen. With a fixed cord, what do you do then? Even the best DIYer might have trouble rewiring a custom. They are pretty tiny.

The cords in those pictures look exactly like the original FreQs (Music Lover line). I had to upgrade to FreQShows because my cord was falling apart within a few months. Now I will say that I use mine more then a lot of users (I figured out that I remove and insert them ~10 times a day on average), and when I sent them back, The FreQ says mine were defective. If you do decide you don't want detachable cables, see if they will let you send them a cable to use and get the Westone cable to them. But this will probably run you almost $50 with shipping, so why not just get the detachable one?

So again, my answer to your question, "is it worth it", is very simply, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curiosity has gotten the better of me once again. A new member of my custom family is around the corner methinks...

I don't feel so bad now. I love my FreQShows, but I can't help but wonder what Livewires sound like. I planed to buy some in the next few months. I'm kind of curious about these too now. I thought I must be nuts to want more then one pair of customs :p

Sep 26, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #3,576 of 3,960
Anyone has heard both the Freq Q triple driver compared to the ACS T2 (dual driver)?

Triple drivers do seems to be the rage now, ACS T1 at £650 is too expensive an upgrade from my current T2. Since the FreQ is a lot less expensive, I wonder if the triple driver could at least match if not exceed my T2s?

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #3,577 of 3,960
2890728953_aca97d6b08.jpg

Holy moly! These things are awesome!!!!!!

Been having a good listen since receiving them last night and I have to say I'm amazed. I'm no audiophile but these definitely are making me eargasm.

It's quite strange coming from ER6i to these customs. WIth the Etys I would have to pull my ear up, open my mouth and ram the suckers in to get a quality seal. I was quite surprised that these seem to just sit there and still create a brilliant seal. I would have thought they would make the 'phone go deeper in the canal.

Anyway, some more pics on flickr!

Oh and FYI, the logo is not from disturbed (not a big fan of them) but from Mushroomhead.

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #3,578 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed hearyourself about some color/artwork options. Curiosity has gotten the better of me once again. A new member of my custom family is around the corner methinks...

Yeah, they said you could get literally any colour you wanted. They'll even match a photo that you send them if you want. And custom artwork is an extra $25, he said.

Anyway, I emailed him and he agreed to do me a pair of triple driver monitors for me and a pair of single driver monitors for my girlfriend for $350 which I reckon is pretty decent, I decided not to go with the detachable cable.. The only problem now is my girlfriend has decided she doesnt want customs. She has decided she "is not supporting or encouraging my ridiculous obsession with expensive things I don't need" so I am gonna see if I can find someone else who wants them.. Not sure who tho,

So what do you guys reckon I should do bout colour? I'm prolly not gonna get custom artwork cuz, well, I don't really know what I'd get. I was thinking silver and orange cuz I'm a massive McLaren fan but that was the only idea I had so gimme your suggestions, guys.

Btw, CoinSlot, had a look at your photos on Flickr and they are awesome, love them. They look kinda like something is glowing inside in some of them, do they glow or am I just crazy?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #3,579 of 3,960
Quote:

Yeah, they said you could get literally any colour you wanted. They'll even match a photo that you send them if you want. And custom artwork is an extra $25, he said.

Anyway, I emailed him and he agreed to do me a pair of triple driver monitors for me and a pair of single driver monitors for my girlfriend for $350 which I reckon is pretty decent, I decided not to go with the detachable cable.. The only problem now is my girlfriend has decided she doesnt want customs. She has decided she "is not supporting or encouraging my ridiculous obsession with expensive things I don't need" so I am gonna see if I can find someone else who wants them.. Not sure who tho,

So what do you guys reckon I should do bout colour? I'm prolly not gonna get custom artwork cuz, well, I don't really know what I'd get. I was thinking silver and orange cuz I'm a massive McLaren fan but that was the only idea I had so gimme your suggestions, guys.

Btw, CoinSlot, had a look at your photos on Flickr and they are awesome, love them. They look kinda like something is glowing inside in some of them, do they glow or am I just crazy?

Why on earth would you pay for custom artwork but not pay for a detachable cable?

Most cables break eventually and then you are stuck w/o your phones for awhile at least.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #3,580 of 3,960
Quote:

You can add custom artwork later by youself if you're unsure now. Use inkjet "Water-Slide" Paper.
It's decal paper that people use to restore vintage guitars and model hobiests use it in miniture models.

BTW, does anyone know of any audiologists in London for cheaper ear impressions? I've had quotes for silicon impressions of £60 - £120!

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3,581 of 3,960
what is the difference between 1, 2 and 3 drivers?

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #3,582 of 3,960
Quote:

RE: "The only problem now is my girlfriend has decided she doesnt want customs. She has decided she "is not supporting or encouraging my ridiculous obsession with expensive things I don't need" so I am gonna see if I can find someone else who wants them.. Not sure who tho"

How about getting them for your new girlfriend?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #3,583 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE: "The only problem now is my girlfriend has decided she doesnt want customs. She has decided she "is not supporting or encouraging my ridiculous obsession with expensive things I don't need" so I am gonna see if I can find someone else who wants them.. Not sure who tho"

How about getting them for your new girlfriend?
very_evil_smiley.gif

ROFL!
beerchug.gif
devil_face.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #3,585 of 3,960
thanks! does it make a huge difference in SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back