The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Apr 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #1,216 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can i purchase it if i am from Australia (do they ship international?). Do i have to get the mold from my audiologist and send it over first?

You can just order normally from their website. You then go and get the ear impressions from an audiologist and send them in to FreQ HQ in the US. I sent mine by regular Australia Post (AU$10), and took about 3 weeks for my SuperFreQs to be completed. I then had to pay an extra US$30 for them to ship the finished product to me by international express, which got here in 2 working days. (US$25 for regular USPS).

Australian orders don't get the self-impression kit, so don't bother waiting for one.

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #1,217 of 3,960
well I finally broke down and bought a set. I would have bought them earlier but I'm trying to become less of an impulse buyer. I'm actually pretty proud of myself for waiting this long considering that I have been following this thread since day 1. I guess the new batch pushed me over the top. Now all I have to do is survive the waiting game.

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #1,220 of 3,960
Well, after the weekend of listening, I have only one complaint.
These things reveal the bad recordings!! I was listening to some live acoustic recordings and I could here people in the audience talking! I am really able to notice a couple the were poorly masted as well.
Oh, and my other complaint is that I can not share how great they are! Damn customs
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,221 of 3,960
I impulse (sorta) bought a pair of SuperFreqs. Spoke to Todd and he was very patient answering all of my questions. Current plan is to do all white with an extra iPhone cable I have. Did the $10 lost/damage insurance.

Todd mentioned a few interesting things:
- Music Makers line (with detachable cables) will be available May 1
- there is an upgrade cable (braided and "better overall") that is available now for $20 (I think that was the price)
- price will go up across the board in about two weeks
- may offer free expedited shipping soon (perhaps as a consolation to above hike)
- may offer expedited turnaround service soon (2-day turnaround)
- they have hired more people to handle the increase in demand
- will not drop off Freq logo from outside (even for $12 custom artwork fee, which will supposedly go up to $25)

So I'm not sure how much of the above is 100% accurate, or just sales banter, but I thought I would share. Todd was definitely nice, and he did not seem to be giving me a story just to upsell or seal the deal.

He later gave me a bunch of phone numbers of impressions places. Off to get an impression soon. Hoping to rush shipping to Freq, and rush shipment back, so I can have it for a trip 5/1.

=====

I am curious about this new cable, but I think that the iPhone cable -- and its likely poorer SQ -- will get much more use for me. Still wobbling on this decision... New, non-iPhone cable for better SQ, especially out of my Pico? Or iPhone cable straight into phone or through Pico? Sound quality vs. convenience and use? Urg...

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #1,223 of 3,960
Well trying to find a cheap audiologist in Austin proved extremely difficult. With a moniker like "Live Music Capital of the World," you'd think there would be good, affordable professionals for the musicians here.

I called over a dozen places, and only four places would do it for $50/pair. And three of them were at different Sears locations, and they were booked through the week. Everyone else wanted $75-100 or couldn't give me a price without the audiologist calling me back. One place called back and wanted $75 FOR EACH EAR! HOLY...!

So I'm driving across town tomorrow morning to the one appointment I could get. I hope Todd sends me the instructions in time (I suspect he got busy on orders after my call). Otherwise, I'm taking the UE instructions.

Thanks for the info, Fr3sH. I think the iPhone cable is the right call. It will be used MUCH more -- even if the SQ is a bit less than optimum. I've read all of russya's posts and he speaks highly of his Freq/iPhone cable combo.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #1,225 of 3,960
I guess it's possible.

My script was "I'm looking to get ear impressions made for a pair of custom musician earphones. Both ears. I will ship the impressions to the manufacturer myself. Can you do that? What is the price?"

Most of them got stumped on the fact I wanted to ship the impressions myself. I guess it's possible that some of the high prices included shipping to somewhere.

Oh, and I forgot... as I discovered after I spoke to Costco three times, there was an Austin Head-Fier who said that Costco would not do impressions for members unless you're getting a hearing aid.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #1,226 of 3,960
Just came back from audiologist. Here's my report for the next bunch of customs noobs...

I handed the audiologist the instructions from Ultimate Ears. Note: Todd must have forgot to send me Freq's instructions, and my reminder email must have not gotten through. Anyways... the only part that puzzled the audiologist was the request to use cotton plugs instead of foam. He questioned it several times, looked in his supply cabinet and said he didn't have cloth. For a couple of reasons (which I can go into if desired), it shouldn't make a bit of difference.

Next, he put the foam plugs in -- DEEP! He warned me and did it very slowly and carefully. My left ear was unspectacular. My right, he initially noted did not go very deep. I toughened up and took a few more taps. We basically stopped before things got too painful.

I had the biggest short-bus moment with the bite guard. I could not figure out what he wanted me to do with them. Eventually he takes one and sticks in my mouth and says, "Bite down." Oh, duh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Then came the silicone. Squirt, squirt, squirt. I went pretty much deaf for three minutes, only hearing the occasional bubbling of the gel. Around Minute 2, I started to drool a bit.

The audiologist returned and asked me to "chew" while he removed the impressions. With gentle tugging and maneuvering, both came out. He inspected and told me how they turned out very nicely: no bubbles and a good deal past the second bend of the ear (which made me wonder if he needed to go as deep with the plugs!). He then wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in a Westone box.

End of experience. Oh, I forgot to mention that he said a customer came in six months ago and was getting impressions for Freqs. We chatted about UE and he gave me a light sales job on Westone IEMs.

===

Then off to the house to print out my Freq receipts and instructions. Took a few pics of the impressions, too. Also called and confirmed address with Derek (was a bit odd that unless I took this initiative, I would not be 100% sure of where to ship my impressions). Hoping to avoid any of the issue mentioned in this thread, I highlighted and wrote out a few instructions and wrote my name, order # and note about iPhone cable on the Westone box. Put all of it into a Express USPS bag with some stuffing and shipped it next day guaranteed for about $16.00.

Keeping my fingers crossed it gets there tomorrow, and that the turnaround is as expected and I can get them in hand for 5/1 trip. I'll likely call Todd tomorrow to confirm receipt of impressions.

So other than a few rough spots in terms of communication with and follow through by Freq, this process is going well.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #1,227 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original cable that came with the set is actually compatible with Iphone since the plug is just like the plug of ibuds.

It's the same shape. It is NOT the same plug. The iPhone plug has 4 contacts. It has a mic in it too
wink.gif

I could be mistaken of course, and someone will correct me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even if the SQ is a bit less than optimum. I've read all of russya's posts and he speaks highly of his Freq/iPhone cable combo.

Why not use an audio cable for the headphones and just make an adapter that contains the mic and the button with a female plug for your headphones. This will mean you have some excess cable when using the mic adapter, but there are simple cable management solutions.

I rarely listen to music with my PDA phone, but I plan to make the same adapter for mine someday :p

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #1,228 of 3,960
Hey guys, I've been following this thread since it's conception; I like all the positive comments coming about the freQs. I can' believe how the build quality has improved
eek.gif

Just wanted to let you all know about some updates. I called freQ today to get some answers since I'm planning on making a purchase soon. The agent/rep I talked to was Anna. She didn't know much at first, and she had to keep asking a supervisor or somebody. Nevertheless, I got some good info.

The music makers line, will indeed be available in May. She didn't say May 1, but did confirm May. The two-driver model will be called 'Tour de FreQ' and will sell for $249. The three-driver model will be called 'FreQ Show' and will sell for $349. I believe she said the cable will be 52" and will be braided and detachable. The first few inches will be memory cable as well, so it will stay fit better.

Anna also confirmed that you must get the impressions done by a professional for the music makers line.

I'm in a predicament right now of whether or not to get the music makers line or the music lovers. I'd either go the Super FreQ or the FreQ Show. Triple drivers FTW! If I can get an upgraded cable on the Super FreQ, and over the ear, seems like I'd really only be paying for a detachable cable on the music lovers line? While nice, I don't know that I"d be willing to pay $100-140 more for a detachable cable.

So that's what I found out guys. If this has already been posted, sorry for the redundant information.

Do you guys think it's worth getting the music makers line over the music lovers?

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #1,229 of 3,960
To me, it depends on what the differences really are. If the only real difference is the detachable cord, I would not pay more than $50 extra. Yet, if the differences are detachable cord, better SQ, or even better build quality, I would gladly pay $350 for them. IMO, the most important factor is the SQ since that's what earphones are really for.

P.S: I heard that they were also going to increase the price of the music lovers line. So, it might only be $100 extra for the music makers line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back