The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #1,246 of 3,960
I've never spoken to Todd on the phone, but I have spoken with Derek. He always seemed very knowledgeable and helpful.

I know Todd is super busy, so I feel bad when I send him emails. I keep telling him to pass me off to someone in the customer support area instead of the president of the company :p

WARNING LONG POST :p

I'm finally sending my headphones back in. I've suspected a fit issue since day 1, but wasn't sure until recently after reading some other folks' reports about their seal. I've put off sending them in for a refit because the fit is pretty close and they sound so good. I was dreading having to use my iBuds while the Freqs were away. I was also trying to wait for my bowling league to end (next week is the last week).

When I started developing cable problems, I just took care to treat the headphones gently until I sent them in. The first problem was the cable housing breaking loose from the plug. This wasn't a big deal. It never came completely out and I just pushed it back in. I could have easily repaired this as someone else did, but I figured I'd let the Freq folks fix it.

Then the left ear's cable tore at the strain relief. I posted some pics here and everyone seemed to think I must have had an "event" that pulled on the cable. I didn't recall one, but I agreed it seemed logical. They still worked fine and I continued to use them and monitored the problem. The tear didn't seem to be growing so I was confident they would last a few more weeks until the bowling season was over.

Well now I have 2 more cable defects. At the plug, the shrink tubing is splitting at the "corner" where it get bigger. I know it's hard to explain. Look at your plug. See the part that is fatter then the cable? Where it meets the even thicker part is splitting. The worst problem is now on the right ear. The cable housing has cracked here as well. This time it is right at the end of the little clear tube that is supposed to be the strain relief.

The cable was in such bad shape and I need it to last through next week, so I finally broke down last night and made some repairs. I used a hot glue gun to fix the tear and crack at the ear pieces. I left the plug alone since it still seems strong enough to make it another week. They came out pretty good. You don't notice anything unusual unless you look closely or know what to look for. I didn't add much material, but I swear they feel heavier. I think it might just be that they feel stronger after getting used to them being so delicate.

I'm now convinced there was no "event" that caused the original problems since all FOUR problems developed independently. This of course leads to the question of...

What is causing it?

I sent Todd an email with these same thoughts.

I think there are 2 possible categories of causes. Either my use of them or the environment. I don't think I use them in any extraordinary manner. It's possible I use them more then an average customer, but I'm not even sure that is true. I wear mine everyday. On a normal day I probably insert/remove them a dozen times or more. On Thursday nights (bowling night) I insert/remove them at least 30 times (3 games, 10 frames per game) over the course of a few hours. Is this considered excessive? I sure hope not. I didn't realize these headphones weren't suited to an active lifestyle. That's why I wanted custom IEMs, the Sennheisers are too big
wink.gif

The only other thing I can think of is my environment. I live in Flagstaff, Arizona. Yes, it is Arizona, but it's not Phoenix. We are at 7000 ft surrounded by the largest stand of ponderosa pines on the planet. It snows here. So I was wondering if perhaps the cold affected the cable? I have noticed it gets very stiff when it's cold, and I wear mine outside even in the snow. They are great when you're shoveling your driveway! But there are other head-fiers in cold climates and I don't hear anyone else having so many cable problems.

I asked Todd what my options are for a cable. He hasn't responded yet. I'm willing to use the Westone cable like Will did, but since they are now offering cable upgrades, I also asked about getting one of those. A detachable, and therefore replaceable, cable is starting to sound very important to me about now. I'd even be willing to pay to have mine changed to the Music Maker cable. We'll see what Todd says.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #1,247 of 3,960
I think the cable replacement they're offering will be the same as the Westone / UE / generic custom cable that everyone else is using. It's a high quality cable that is durable, but I'm not sure if using the same type of strain relief on the earphone will resolve the issue for you Hayduke. It may be the best for you to get the Music Maker line.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #1,248 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never spoken to Todd on the phone, but I have spoken with Derek. He always seemed very knowledgeable and helpful.

I know Todd is super busy, so I feel bad when I send him emails. I keep telling him to pass me off to someone in the customer support area instead of the president of the company :p

WARNING LONG POST :p

I'm finally sending my headphones back in. I've suspected a fit issue since day 1, but wasn't sure until recently after reading some other folks' reports about their seal. I've put off sending them in for a refit because the fit is pretty close and they sound so good. I was dreading having to use my iBuds while the Freqs were away. I was also trying to wait for my bowling league to end (next week is the last week).

When I started developing cable problems, I just took care to treat the headphones gently until I sent them in. The first problem was the cable housing breaking loose from the plug. This wasn't a big deal. It never came completely out and I just pushed it back in. I could have easily repaired this as someone else did, but I figured I'd let the Freq folks fix it.

Then the left ear's cable tore at the strain relief. I posted some pics here and everyone seemed to think I must have had an "event" that pulled on the cable. I didn't recall one, but I agreed it seemed logical. They still worked fine and I continued to use them and monitored the problem. The tear didn't seem to be growing so I was confident they would last a few more weeks until the bowling season was over.

Well now I have 2 more cable defects. At the plug, the shrink tubing is splitting at the "corner" where it get bigger. I know it's hard to explain. Look at your plug. See the part that is fatter then the cable? Where it meets the even thicker part is splitting. The worst problem is now on the right ear. The cable housing has cracked here as well. This time it is right at the end of the little clear tube that is supposed to be the strain relief.

The cable was in such bad shape and I need it to last through next week, so I finally broke down last night and made some repairs. I used a hot glue gun to fix the tear and crack at the ear pieces. I left the plug alone since it still seems strong enough to make it another week. They came out pretty good. You don't notice anything unusual unless you look closely or know what to look for. I didn't add much material, but I swear they feel heavier. I think it might just be that they feel stronger after getting used to them being so delicate.

I'm now convinced there was no "event" that caused the original problems since all FOUR problems developed independently. This of course leads to the question of...

What is causing it?

I sent Todd an email with these same thoughts.

I think there are 2 possible categories of causes. Either my use of them or the environment. I don't think I use them in any extraordinary manner. It's possible I use them more then an average customer, but I'm not even sure that is true. I wear mine everyday. On a normal day I probably insert/remove them a dozen times or more. On Thursday nights (bowling night) I insert/remove them at least 30 times (3 games, 10 frames per game) over the course of a few hours. Is this considered excessive? I sure hope not. I didn't realize these headphones weren't suited to an active lifestyle. That's why I wanted custom IEMs, the Sennheisers are too big
wink.gif

The only other thing I can think of is my environment. I live in Flagstaff, Arizona. Yes, it is Arizona, but it's not Phoenix. We are at 7000 ft surrounded by the largest stand of ponderosa pines on the planet. It snows here. So I was wondering if perhaps the cold affected the cable? I have noticed it gets very stiff when it's cold, and I wear mine outside even in the snow. They are great when you're shoveling your driveway! But there are other head-fiers in cold climates and I don't hear anyone else having so many cable problems.

I asked Todd what my options are for a cable. He hasn't responded yet. I'm willing to use the Westone cable like Will did, but since they are now offering cable upgrades, I also asked about getting one of those. A detachable, and therefore replaceable, cable is starting to sound very important to me about now. I'd even be willing to pay to have mine changed to the Music Maker cable. We'll see what Todd says.

In my humble opinion, yes, I really think that you are way over the average in terms of what I would call "normal" usage (more than 1 dozen times in a normal day). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you are using them, but given your type of usage, I agree with Todd than an upgrade to the removable cable version (Music Maker) is what I would recommend. If this is not possible, then getting your cables replaced with my Westone ES cables (and their longer memory tube) might be just the ticket. Just my 2 cents worth ...
biggrin.gif

I really like to know more about the Music Makers, but not due to their removable cable, but their Sound Quality - how different will they sound from my SuperFreQs?

I have an email dialog with Todd for the last two weeks, but he is "very" busy so it takes him a long time to reply
wink.gif
. Right now I just want to send mine back for a small/tiny refiting to get better seal - otherwise I "really" love my SuperFreQs!

Will

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #1,249 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangerin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered them:

Inner: Clear
Outer: Black
Cable: Upgraded Black Braided (+$20)

Todd took my order and was very helpful, informative.

Hmm I ordered last week with black outside and white inside, but after thinking some more I changed to clear inner (couldn't resist the urge to peek at the innards of the thing, plus it can be helpful diagnostically if something goes wrong)... looks like we'll be having the exact same specs
tongue.gif

Also, looks like the upgraded cable option is live on their website! (image from Freq website)

IMG_3366.JPG

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #1,250 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinzeta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I ordered last week with black outside and white inside, but after thinking some more I changed to clear inner (couldn't resist the urge to peek at the innards of the thing, plus it can be helpful diagnostically if something goes wrong)... looks like we'll be having the exact same specs
tongue.gif

Also, looks like the upgraded cable option is live on their website! (image from Freq website)

IMG_3366.JPG

Cool, it sure looks like my Westone ES cable - excellent!
img_4988.jpg

Congrats on the order
wink.gif

Will
(listening to my SF's right now as I type this!)

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #1,251 of 3,960
ooo.. braided cables. nice timing since ill be ordering them too before the price increases.

im getting black outer/clear inner too
tongue.gif

now i just have to decide if i want to have it over the ear or not. but im really having a hard time deciding. i wonder why..

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #1,252 of 3,960
merlinzeta: I loved the white and black! I was torn between clear and white, but decided that clear would be the best way to explain to friends the reason for the purchase and how they work etc. :lol:

Todd told me the braided cable had the same connector as the cable they currently offer and should work with the iphone. But, after looking at the braided cable it doesnt appear to be thin enough and is at a 90 degree.

Im having my order put on hold until I get confirmation that the braided cable will work with the iphone.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #1,257 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

The FREQ got my impressions today!

I really cannot wait to get them. Should be awesome!

Germania, did you get the FreQ Show or the SuperFreQ?!?

In your sig, you put SuperFreQ, but in the LW thread, you say you're getting the Music Maker triple driver?!?

I really hope you got the FreQ Show, so you can give us first impressions on the new line!

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #1,258 of 3,960
Just got a call from Todd saying my Freqs were ready to ship. I had expected a call tomorrow and an overnight shipping fee to get them in my hands for Thursday trip, but things are ahead of schedule. If all goes well, it will have been seven days from my impressions mailing to Freqs in hand! DHL still has to come through, and the Freqs have to fit, but so far, so good...

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #1,260 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fixed the ringing resonance issue with mine. Now it's almost perfect, except for a slightly muffled sound compared to the HD580s.

What did you do to them? Just the refit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back