The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #782 of 19,652
hopefully if it is not too late in development, Fiio can hopefully consider using the new sabre chip (ESS0018KM i think).
size]
 here's hoping.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #784 of 19,652
Quote:
hopefully if it is not too late in development, Fiio can hopefully consider using the new sabre chip (ESS0018KM i think).
size]
 here's hoping.

don't expect that ES9018m sounds as the same as the ES9018, it is a mobile version and the specification is noticeable lower than ES9018. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #785 of 19,652
Hi James, possible to release a thinner version without the amp section for ppl who like to bundle different amps? Not sure if it makes perfect business sense tho....

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #786 of 19,652
Quote:
Please have a S/PDiF input; please have a S/PDiF INPUT; PLEASE! 

If it would be on par in quality with the E17 or greater (I am guessing and hoping for the latter), that would make it the ultimate portable music device ever conceived!  I'd certainly be able to pitch it to more people!  I love sharing high fidelity stuff with others but it's usually either that slight step below what's necessary to make it to the masses or it doesn't make practical sense for the people who don't understand/who really don't care about the quality benefits (usually people who listen to crap music anyway, but still).  The E17, despite its flaws, is currently my favorite toy in my portable box of audio stuff - as well as actually quite useful in many situations for what I do.  If this thing can serve its basic function, the presently conceivable audio universe would BELONG TO IT!  This MUST be possible - and wouldn't it be worth it?

PS- OLED screen would be nice too XD.  Cowon does it.  I'm not sure what's involved but it doesn't seem unreasonable just from knowing that fact, but that's trivial compared to the first thing; just thought I should mention it.

Does no-one share my sentiment?  Lol, I never get this excited about anything or even begin to start trying to make any constructive criticisms/ideas unless I think something is REALLLY close and is otherwise overall just great.  I'm curious to hear if people can see use for these suggestions, if not even for themselves (as would actually be the point, as to be objective).

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #787 of 19,652
Does no-one share my sentiment?  Lol, I never get this excited about anything or even begin to start trying to make any constructive criticisms/ideas unless I think something is REALLLY close and is otherwise overall just great.  I'm curious to hear if people can see use for these suggestions, if not even for themselves (as would actually be the point, as to be objective).

I don't think X5 will have a SPDIF input (please read 1st post, which indicates all inputs and outpts per James Fiio).

I like to have a MOG or Spotify app, but doubt it would be on X5. MOG can only run on Windows/PC, Android, iOS/Mac and possibly Linux, last time I checked. X5 is not using any of the above as operating system. And MOG/Spotify works best with wifi, which X5 does not have either.

Many Headfi'ers here may want an pure, powerful and excellent-sounding music player, instead of a decent-sounding smartphone that they already have (most of which can run MOG/Spotify adequately).

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #788 of 19,652
Quote:

You probably want a Walkman...

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #789 of 19,652
Quote:

If they can, they would have done it by now, or they will when they want to.

If you actually read the first post carefully, it says engineering sample is expected October (but this is the earliest possible scenario imo), so expecting photos now is nonsense.

They must have a simple concept drawing of the products layout.  Might share some characteristics to the final production version. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #790 of 19,652
Quote:
I don't think X5 will have a SPDIF input (please read 1st post, which indicates all inputs and outpts per James Fiio).

I like to have a MOG or Spotify app, but doubt it would be on X5. MOG can only run on Windows/PC, Android, iOS/Mac and possibly Linux, last time I checked. X5 is not using any of the above as operating system. And MOG/Spotify works best with wifi, which X5 does not have either.

Many Headfi'ers here may want an pure, powerful and excellent-sounding music player, instead of a decent-sounding smartphone that they already have (most of which can run MOG/Spotify adequately).

Obviously.. it doesn't have a S/PDiF input....... You even added, "please read first post".  What kind of interpretation IS that of what was said?  I'm not so sure that what I wrote is so mentally challenging.  I'm sorry, but there's no way to reply now without an equivocal level of snideness and slight condescension.  I suggest we leave this bit of business here. 

I know the input isn't there; that's why I suggested it.  To be able to use it as a DAC/Amp through S/PDiF would make a player which precisely ISN'T a smartphone, which is precisely NOT what I'm saying it should be, into something slightly more than just another PMP in this day and age.  So in other words, if you wanted to play music off somewhere else or watch a movie, or anything, you can connect this thing which would give more incentive to actually have it around as a dedicated music player, considering the fact that yes, there are INDEED smartphones everywhere.  No matter how great, I think it would be hard to convince people to get a dedicated music player at this point in time, even myself, since I could just get the E18, that which would cover the audio department for me entirely.  The S/PDiF-in would change that; at least it would for me.  In any case, it gives more incentive.

In terms of Spotify, I guess you're right.  Maybe FiiO could make some little, separate device, which takes the USB out from Android and turns it into a digital coaxial signal, if that's possible.  I'm not sure what I was thinking with the Spotify bit, as that is kind of a stretch.  Not sure why make reasons why that wouldn't be cool if it were to magically happen otherwise, but yeah, nevermind that.  I'll change the line where I briefly mention that..

Quote:

You probably want a Walkman...

I.. don't even know what to say to that without an insult.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #791 of 19,652
Quote:

The DAC was specified on the first page of this thread; apparently, it's the PCM1792. The post also states that Fiio aims to begin production at year's end, so it seems unlikely the X5 will be widely available until summer 2014.

~Brian

Summer 2014? I thought James said if it wasn't on the market by the end of 2013 he would do a naked run down the street? Why the long delay? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back