The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #18,031 of 19,652
In that case, the HD600 is the only real option. It's empirically superior in every way. There are no humans who prefer the 598 over the HD600.

The same cannot be said about the 600 and 650. That comes down to personal taste and the sort of sound signature you enjoy.

The reviews for the 600 are impressive. Some say that the 600 sounds best with an external amp, even if the X5 can drive it very well on it's own. 

I'm probably looking at a $400 investment if that is the case.

I am super happy with the KSC75's, one with the partsxpress headband, the second with portapro headband. My two pair of 75's sound different. I'm still burning in the second pair so hopefully, they will reach the same level as my first pair. They sound very good already with the portapro headband, but I'm hoping they'll reach a new level with additional burn in.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #18,032 of 19,652

The reviews for the 600 are impressive. Some say that the 600 sounds best with an external amp, even if the X5 can drive it very well on it's own. 

I'm probably looking at a $400 investment if that is the case.

I am super happy with the KSC75's, one with the partsxpress headband, the second with portapro headband. My two pair of 75's sound different. I'm still burning in the second pair so hopefully, they will reach the same level as my first pair. They sound very good already with the portapro headband, but I'm hoping they'll reach a new level with additional burn in.

If you look hard online, the 600's can be had for around $300. If your willing to spend $400., you may want to get some Oppo PM-3's as they are every bit as good as the 600's, but in a closed back sort of way.

They do not image as well, but are better tonally with a cleaner sound(imo).

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #18,033 of 19,652
Hi folks, I know this probably should go in another part of the forum, but the card that a number of you are using with the X5 is on sale at Amazon right now for $60.  It looks like I may be able to have two 128GB cards in my X5 after all :)

Here's the link.  I'm not affiliated with Amazon at all, just passing on info; hope some of you get the deal!

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #18,034 of 19,652
Jul 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #18,035 of 19,652
I'm new here so hello to all. I'm from Kendal in the UK.

I've had a FiiO E12Amp for a while that I used with an iPod Classic. I had two iPods using one for all my music in MP3 format for car and home use and one with selected albums in AAC format for listening via the E12 and some Sennheiser HD598s. Sadly, courtesy of my teenage step son and his friends one iPod and other stuff has mysteriously disappeared 
mad.gif

So today I received my X5ii. I've put some albums onto it in FLAC format and I'm blown away, in musical heaven
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm using Switch on my iMac to convert from CD to FLAC files. I create a folder with the name of the artist and the album as the title and send the FLAC files to it.

There's no album or genre structure on the X5ii though, just lots of songs.

Very frustrating.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I get albums from CD to the X5ii in the correct structure.

I'm a bit of a noob perhaps but I'm okay with IT. The quick start guide for the X5ii is rudimentary to say the least.

Peter

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #18,036 of 19,652

I've had a FiiO E12Amp for a while that I used with an iPod Classic. I had two iPods using one for all my music in MP3 format for car and home use and one with selected albums in AAC format for listening via the E12 and some Sennheiser HD598s. Sadly, courtesy of my teenage step son and his friends one iPod and other stuff has mysteriously disappeared 
mad.gif

So today I received my X5ii. I've put some albums onto it in FLAC format and I'm blown away, in musical heaven
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm using Switch on my iMac to convert from CD to FLAC files. I create a folder with the name of the artist and the album as the title and send the FLAC files to it.

Very frustrating.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I get albums from CD to the X5ii in the correct structure.

I'm a bit of a noob perhaps but I'm okay with IT. The quick start guide for the X5ii is rudimentary to say the least.

Peter

using copy and paste? 
blink.gif

I know that MAC envoirments are different, but you should just create folders with artist name, folders with album name and so on. There is no short way to do this, as far as i know. 

You should use a flac ripping software if you want to sta lossless, or something that rips to 320 mp3, and just organize your folders manually.

There is no telling how different a MAC user must feel to do this after using MACs, or how you would feel to have to sort a huge collection of over 20.000 songs song by song, and tag each song. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #18,037 of 19,652

mad.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Very frustrating.

Peter

Hi Peter, I'm a brand new FiiO X5 user that has many, many years stuck in iTunes.  I really wanted to just start enjoying my ripped music, so I'm using two micro SD cards, one for the copied, non-protected AAC and MP3 iTunes library and another card that is dedicated to FLAC.  For the second card, I just use dBpowerAMP and make a dedicated "FLAC" folder that I update with new rips.  dB keeps a nice file structure that I then copy to a microSD card already in my MacBook and then swap it with the card in the X5.  When I plug it in to the X5 and select the card, it updates.

Now I know this is not the optimal way to do it, but until I can figure out what the advanced users' workflow is, this has gotten me at least listening to my music in pretty short order.  Good luck!

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #18,038 of 19,652
Many thanks for the help. I restructured my folders and files in Finder (Mac) to go Artist - Album - Disc 1/2 if applicable - songs. I've tried reloading to the X5 and I still get a load of songs and no structure re Album, Artists, Genre etc.

Maybe there's a proper manual for the X5ii? I could try dBpowerAMP but it'd be just another outlay that may not help.

If I use a Tag Editor to tag the files in Finder with artist, album, disc and songs before copy and pasting to the micro SD card would that do the trick?

I'm really surprised that this is not more straightforward. I can currently use folder method to play songs.

Peter

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #18,039 of 19,652
Many thanks for the help. I restructured my folders and files in Finder (Mac) to go Artist - Album - Disc 1/2 if applicable - songs. I've tried reloading to the X5 and I still get a load of songs and no structure re Album, Artists, Genre etc.

Maybe there's a proper manual for the X5ii? I could try dBpowerAMP but it'd be just another outlay that may not help.

If I use a Tag Editor to tag the files in Finder with artist, album, disc and songs before copy and pasting to the micro SD card would that do the trick?

I'm really surprised that this is not more straightforward. I can currently use folder method to play songs.

Peter

Yes, that should do the trick.

iTunes can tag the tracks easily if that's all you have. Highlight every song in an album and make sure the artist, album, and genre tags are correct or adjust as necessary. After the the tracks are loaded on the X5 you update the media library through the settings menu. There is a choice for automatic or manual update.

Edit: I found ALAC is just as good as FLAC and obviously is more compatible with iTunes.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #18,040 of 19,652
Peter, its not the Fiio instruction manual thats at fault. All music players need tracks to have basic meta data included, track, artist, album, art etc to play other than by folders. ITunes does so much automatically that unfortunately many people don't learn basic tagging. But as Relic says, if you right click on an albums tracks and select Get Info, you can then check its correctly completed. Better still dbpoweramp sets everything as required.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #18,042 of 19,652
Just joined the club, i'm a new X5ii owner!

I'm more of a home stereo guy, but thought of technologies in portable nowadays could be good enough to have it as a source of my home hifi system. 
True enough, I'm happy with the results of both the lineout to my home hifi and the headphone out to my Grado 325i and Sennheiser HD650.

Noticed that there is a OTG function. Did anybody tried to hoot it up an OTG with 2TB HDD with that ? That will be awesome !

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #18,043 of 19,652
Just joined the club, i'm a new X5ii owner!

I'm more of a home stereo guy, but thought of technologies in portable nowadays could be good enough to have it as a source of my home hifi system. 
True enough, I'm happy with the results of both the lineout to my home hifi and the headphone out to my Grado 325i and Sennheiser HD650.

Noticed that there is a OTG function. Did anybody tried to hoot it up an OTG with 2TB HDD with that ? That will be awesome !

Alvin, are you aware of the X5ii thread? Also came from stereo world. Fiio sounds even better connected to HiFi with coax and a Rega (or Chord Hugo) DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back