The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #17,731 of 19,652
I get around 11 hrs using Headphone Out, 20 hrs using Line Out, and around 30 hrs using coaxial out.

My guess on OTG is battery is being spent powering the USB, but I've never used it so don't really know.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #17,732 of 19,652
I get around 11 hrs using Headphone Out, 20 hrs using Line Out, and around 30 hrs using coaxial out.

My guess on OTG is battery is being spent powering the USB, but I've never used it so don't really know.

I find OTG really useful for the speed of transfer and convenience of being able to plug and unplug a short cable. My SD cards remain in the X5 at all times, so transfer speeds are very slow.
I'm looking forward to the DAP (which is also a 5) that will be the first to use USB 3.0 for it's card slots. I hope the controller used is able to make use of the increased potential as the X5 card slots fall way short of USB 2.0.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #17,733 of 19,652
I find OTG really useful for the speed of transfer and convenience of being able to plug and unplug a short cable. My SD cards remain in the X5 at all times, so transfer speeds are very slow.
I'm looking forward to the DAP (which is also a 5) that will be the first to use USB 3.0 for it's card slots. I hope the controller used is able to make use of the increased potential as the X5 card slots fall way short of USB 2.0.

^^^ THIS

USB 2.0 is soooo sloooowww!!!

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #17,734 of 19,652
^^^ THIS

USB 2.0 is soooo sloooowww!!!

The point I was making is that the X5 connected via USB comes nowhere near to utilising the full speed of of USB 2.0. With the existing setup, it would be just as slow with USB 3.0.

Edit: We are only saying that USB 2.0 is so slow, because the card transfer speeds have overtaken it.
Give a DAP access to SSD and we'll be moving...

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #17,735 of 19,652
The point I was making is that the X5 connected via USB comes nowhere near to utilising the full speed of of USB 2.0. With the existing setup, it would be just as slow with USB 3.0.

Edit: We are only saying that USB 2.0 is so slow, because the card transfer speeds have overtaken it.

Yes, X5 is a limiting factor for sure. But if we get a USB 3.0 DAP that really takes advantage of USB 3.0 speeds, holy cow would that be amazing!!!

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #17,736 of 19,652
Yes, X5 is a limiting factor for sure. But if we get a USB 3.0 DAP that really takes advantage of USB 3.0 speeds, holy cow would that be amazing!!!

Yes it would. Out of interest, did you notice any improvement in transfer speeds with the X5ii?
Is there a DAP that utilises USB 2.0 at full speed?

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #17,737 of 19,652
Yes it would. Out of interest, did you notice any improvement in transfer speeds with the X5ii?
Is there a DAP that utilises USB 2.0 at full speed?

I didn't try it, since I had a couple of fully-loaded 128GB mSD cards to swap around my DAPs.

For cards that size, utilizing the fastest connection tech / speeds is critical!

All this said, I'm actually using an 8yo MacBook Pro which only has USB 2.0 and Firewire 800. That laptop just never quits and with 6GB RAM and an SSD, it runs rings around some of the newer Windows laptops I've used.

quietly sneaks out before Mac vs. Windows flame war begins...

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #17,738 of 19,652
I didn't try it, since I had a couple of fully-loaded 128GB mSD cards to swap around my DAPs.

For cards that size, utilizing the fastest connection tech / speeds is critical!

All this said, I'm actually using an 8yo MacBook Pro which only has USB 2.0 and Firewire 800. That laptop just never quits and with 6GB RAM and an SSD, it runs rings around some of the newer Windows laptops I've used.

quietly sneaks out before Mac vs. Windows flame war begins...

If I can ask, then you use MAC as your OS?..

I can understand that MAC laptops work wonders, but I like to use Windows, because I got used to it, and everyone else uses windows, it would be a party trying to fiind why my official documents for work are not compatible. 

But, MAC laptops should be something different, I heared more than one time that they are wonderfull. 

About USB 3.0, it sure would be nice. I wonder why it has not been used until now? Maybe it generates heat, or is very expensive to implement portable?

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #17,739 of 19,652
About USB 3.0, it sure would be nice. I wonder why it has not been used until now? Maybe it generates heat, or is very expensive to implement portable?
I would love to know the answer to this...

The Galaxy Note 3 was USB3, but the Note 4 / S6 have reverted back to USB2... Annoying that the larger the memory you get, what was a forward step has now gone backwards again.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #17,740 of 19,652
It's possible USB 3 is not all it's cracked up to be. My motherboard uses early USB3 tech, and it's not perfectly stable all the time. Perhaps it never became better, even in later years.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #17,741 of 19,652
If I can ask, then you use MAC as your OS?..

I can understand that MAC laptops work wonders, but I like to use Windows, because I got used to it, and everyone else uses windows, it would be a party trying to fiind why my official documents for work are not compatible. 

But, MAC laptops should be something different, I heared more than one time that they are wonderfull. 

Yes, I use a late 2007 Core2Duo MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite. CPU-intensive activities like editing large photos or video work show its age, but for everyday tasks it's much better than the 2013 Lenovo Thinkpad I was forced to use at work. And you really don't need to worry about file compatability these days, George.

It's possible USB 3 is not all it's cracked up to be. My motherboard uses early USB3 tech, and it's not perfectly stable all the time. Perhaps it never became better, even in later years.

Maybe. Seems like USB-C is the next thing. Maybe that'll be better for widespread adoption? Something's got to beat USB 2.0!

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #17,742 of 19,652
Hi all
I got a reply from FiiO support regarding the gapless issue on playback of AAC files:

"Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO.
We have conducted a test, and the result shows that there is a short gap between playbacks for AAC files, which is caused by the bug in the firmware.
And our engineers have already been working on this issue, it will be improved in future firmware update.
Thanks again for your kind feedback.
If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us again.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service"

So FiiO seem to be on the ball as usual, and that should be fixed in future.
Cheers

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #17,743 of 19,652
Got a question for all you who have been using the x5 for a while. I have a set of B&W P7 and for iems I use Havi B3 Pro1. I have a fiio e11k amp which I use with my x1. I'm looking for an amp for the x5 and want an upgrade to the e11k. Want width and as much sound quality as possible. No basshead but it should not be lacking. I listen to a lot of rock, house, classical, metal and instrumental.

My choices are ;

Fiio e12 (original or e12a)
CAYIN C5
JDS labs c5
Or something else in that price range.

Thanks for your help and info.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #17,744 of 19,652
Got a question for all you who have been using the x5 for a while. I have a set of B&W P7 and for iems I use Havi B3 Pro1. I have a fiio e11k amp which I use with my x1. I'm looking for an amp for the x5 and want an upgrade to the e11k. Want width and as much sound quality as possible. No basshead but it should not be lacking. I listen to a lot of rock, house, classical, metal and instrumental.

My choices are ;

CAYIN C5
JDS labs c5

Of course the E12 was "made for" the X5, i have the DIY version myself, and absolutely love it.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #17,745 of 19,652

My choices are ;

CAYIN C5
JDS labs c5

Hi!

I can vouch for the two C5s - however for the headphones you have I would recommend the JDSLabs C5 or the E12 which is also great. The JDSLabs C5 is smaller and has less power, but looking at your headphones, all amps deliver more than you need.....

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back