The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 27, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #16,486 of 19,652
  I had had a deep research about this recently.

basically e12a has different op-amps and metal film resistors.

this creates a different signature, which is still perfectly transparent.

It cannot be transparent if the amp creates a perceived change in sound signature.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #16,490 of 19,652
I see no serious problems with the current X5 as it stands.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #16,492 of 19,652
What else, other than the mathematical superposition of frequencies, would you say produces sonic differences?

Noise, distortion....

Define the mathematical superposition of frequencies?
Not too sure what that means?:confused_face_2:

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #16,493 of 19,652
So you know the circuit schematic of the X5 or had a look inside? «Shunt» may not be the right technical term for what I had in mind (I could tell it in German), maybe «branching»? But lately I rather thought of a similar design as with the Hugo, where mimicking a line out is realized by fixing the volume to a value corresponding to average DAC/CDP line outs, whereas line out and headphone out are in fact the same path.

I'm sure you've seen the X5 block diagram on the FiiO website.
If I understand your question, then yes, I would guess that the Line Out branches off in the X5, Line Out is most likely the output of the OPA1612 on the right (the voltage amplification block).
OPA has a max output of 30 mA.
LMH6643 has a maximum output of 75 mA, so it has more current to drive headphones.
You've probably figured this out already.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #16,494 of 19,652
I'm sure you've seen the X5 block diagram on the FiiO website.
If I understand your question, then yes, I would guess that the Line Out branches off in the X5, Line Out is most likely the output of the OPA1612 on the right (the voltage amplification block).
OPA has a max output of 30 mA.
LMH6643 has a maximum output of 75 mA, so it has more current to drive headphones.
You've probably figured this out already.

I'm inclined to think the LO branches out from the OP1612 block that does LPF (Low Pass Filter) if not the I/V block.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #16,496 of 19,652
Noise, distortion....

Define the mathematical superposition of frequencies?
Not too sure what that means?:confused_face_2:

Sorry. The superposition is a fancy word for the interference or addition of 2 or more waves. At its most fundamental level, any sound is the composition of many specific frequencies added together. The reason we can discern a French horn from a trumpet, all playing middle C, is because of the presence of different harmonics (good distortion in a sense) that are pleasing to the ear. If we say a tuning fork at 512 Hz is a particular pure and neutral note, then any instrument playing 512 Hz will have other resonant frequencies it adds (distorts) that 512 Hz note with. This is pleasing to our ears, and is the reason (mathematically) why the e12a is more pleasing to me than just the x5.

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #16,497 of 19,652
The inability to go through each album title in less than 10 minutes of wheel spinning. The ridiculous results returned from a Genre search (hundreds of track 1's followed by hundreds of track 2's, etc. It may work fine for people with 16 Gb cards but no way is it suitable when using 128's. Only the folder view is useful for large cards. It will be twice as bad when 256 gb chips are common. The inability to present files by name field rather than file name except in folder mode.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #16,498 of 19,652
The inability to go through each album title in less than 10 minutes of wheel spinning. The ridiculous results returned from a Genre search (hundreds of track 1's followed by hundreds of track 2's, etc. It may work fine for people with 16 Gb cards but no way is it suitable when using 128's. Only the folder view is useful for large cards. It will be twice as bad when 256 gb chips are common. The inability to present files by name field rather than file name except in folder mode.

I see. I prefer to browse by folders and listen to the artist that strikes my mood rather than genre play. For the price of the X5 I'm just fine without these category conveniences, though not terrible in my opinion, especially as I really enjoy the output.

I use a 64gb and a 128gb card organized with alphabetical folders followed by artist and then album sub folders which makes browsing my collection very fast. Then again I understand that not everyone wants to interact this way. At the end of the day a little organization goes a very long way for me.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #16,499 of 19,652
I see. I prefer to browse by folders and listen to the artist that strikes my mood rather than genre play. For the price of the X5 I'm just fine without these category conveniences, though not terrible in my opinion, especially as I really enjoy the output.

I use a 64gb and a 128gb card organized with alphabetical folders followed by artist and then album sub folders which makes browsing my collection very fast. Then again I understand that not everyone wants to interact this way. At the end of the day a little organization goes a very long way for me.

Same here. I'm an album guy, so Folder Browsing works well for me. That said, I can totally see people being frustrated with Fiio's implementation of Genre Browsing. It's in need of either serious attention or abandonment. Not good to include such a poor implementation of such a basic feature.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #16,500 of 19,652
Same here. I'm an album guy, so Folder Browsing works well for me. That said, I can totally see people being frustrated with Fiio's implementation of Genre Browsing. It's in need of either serious attention or abandonment. Not good to include such a poor implementation of such a basic feature.

Ah - but if you have your files tagged properly - genre can be brilliant for listening to one particular type of music ... shuffled.  I use it a lot.  Want some Indie Rock - go to Genre, select, select first song, put it in shuffle mode - brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back