The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #16,171 of 19,652
I see, so could a E12a really be justified then? I mean I think the sound already is good, but I dunno if I will be able to hear difference of an E12a? I mean what could the difference be in sound then with the e12a?

I would like an option of bass boost if I would desire it at times, but I heard this is only +- 4DB on the 12a not that much..

It sounds like you are fairly new at this so I'll summerize a few key points for you.

First, and number one thing to do is to find some quality headphones that produce the sound you prefer. No amount of DACs, amps, and EQ are worth changing a headphones signature.

Second, a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) exists in all digital players. It changes 0's and 1's to an analogue signal to send to the amp. The one implemented in the X5 is very good. It's clear, detailed and natural. No need for an external DAC as the DAC implementation is one of the X5's biggest strengths.

Third, for most headphones the X5's amp can power them just fine. The amp section in the X5 is clean and doesn't distort or color the sound. If you want to add the e12A for a slightly different sound signature that would be logical but you won't benefit from more power as they are around the same output power. The bass boost of the e12A of +4db should sound great and you'll hear the difference right away when it's switched on.

If you have harder to drive headphones (needing more power) then you can look in to the regular e12. It can pretty much power any heaphone out there but it's a bit too powerful for the more sensitive In Ear Monitors (IEM), which is why FiiO released the e12A (to reduce hiss and channel imbalances with sensitive IEMs).

The jack next to the headphone jack is the Line Out. This outputs the full power from the DAC and is meant to output a clean analog signal from the X5 to an external amp, bypassing the amp section in the X5. This is what you plug in to the e12A or other external amp. Never, ever plug your headphones in this jack if you value your sensitive hearing or sensitive headphones. Ever.

The coaxial output bypasses the DAC and the amp and just outputs the decoded digital signal to an external device that takes care of the digital to analog conversion as well as the amplification. The X5 acts as a transport in this mode. I use the X5 coaxial out to plug in to my full size Oppo HA-1 amp/DAC which does all the heavy lifting when at my listening area at home.

The equalizer can be used in all outputs. The only caveat is that it can't be used at sampling rates higher than 48kHz (24bit is fine).

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #16,172 of 19,652
Thanks. 
I will focus on getting a signature DJ or signature pro or I will keep this ultrasone.
(maybe the Senheiser 650 HD as a 2nd headphone as I keep ultrasone, cuz this one seems populair.)

Anyway if I want to listen to a sleep meditation and when the track is done shut the Fiio down, is this possible?

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #16,173 of 19,652
Thanks. 
I will focus on getting a signature DJ or signature pro or I will keep this ultrasone.
(maybe the Senheiser 650 HD as a 2nd headphone as I keep ultrasone, cuz this one seems populair.)

Anyway if I want to listen to a sleep meditation and when the track is done shut the Fiio down, is this possible?

There is an idle power off feature and a sleep timer that you can set.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #16,175 of 19,652
or if you want more of something. for example i love the treble, i already have plenty, but i still add more for even more detail and even more of a nice sound!

This is exactly why i use the EQ with my UE900. I'm used to Grado headphones, including their GR10 in ears, which have the best treble i've ever come across, so the UE900 needed a bit of help to come closer to that.

I just can't imagine myself sleeping with the Westone W40's. Maybe another IEM, cheaper like the T-PEOS H300, just trying. But I don't have that habit.

I used to sleep with my GR10 IEMs, and this night i slept with my UE900 for the first time (it is now 5.20 AM, woke up early)
Most armature design IEMs should be okay while sleeping. Same goes for vented dynamics.

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #16,177 of 19,652
  It's just because the W40 is a 500€ IEM. lol. Maybe I'll try it with the H300 one of these days.

You could go to the extreme of an SE-846.  Sometimes, when I'm listening to a book, I take one of them out, lie with my empty ear burried in the pillow and set the sleep timer.  Next thing I know, I wake up with the earpiece still in and unnoticed. 
So, price don't matter if it works for you.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #16,178 of 19,652
my computer's SSD recently gave up after 4 years , and now i have to setup the DAC drivers for the X5 again.
this wouldn't be a problem, if only i could still find them on FiiO's renewed website, but i can't.

can anybody link me where i can find them?

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #16,180 of 19,652
my computer's SSD recently gave up after 4 years , and now i have to setup the DAC drivers for the X5 again.
this wouldn't be a problem, if only i could still find them on FiiO's renewed website, but i can't.

can anybody link me where i can find them?

Try this. Found the link in the 'News' section. Not very freindly to find.

http://121.199.40.94/UploadFiles/main/Firmware-and-driver/DAC-Driver-for-X3-X5.zip

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #16,181 of 19,652
This is an updated one packed by a third party.  Tried it.  It works.  Supposed to be later version.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729521/fiio-x3-x5-usb-drivers-for-windows-only

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #16,182 of 19,652
Has anyone measued the X5 for DC offset, so we can be sure it will not hurt the sound or our can´s?

Just turn the X5 on with no headphones and only a male to male 1/8 cable connected and let it be on for about 10 min. Then just measure with an multimeter set at millivolt. If manual setting for the voltmeter, it should be set at about 200 mV. Try first without playing any music, then when playing something and measure with the black probe at the inner connection of the jack and the red probe to each of the other two.

if it will measure less than 20 mV, it will be ok. if more it will not sound as good as it should and more than 100 mV can damage the headphones.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #16,184 of 19,652

Cool, but how do I work it so that after One particular song has ended it powers off?
I tried the sleep timer before but it turns off when I don't want it too, maybe I don't understand the feature lol.

Set it to automatically power off when idle. Make sure that "play through folders" is unchecked and put the songs you want to hear in a seperate folder with the "particular" song being the last one.
Or... work out the total time of the songs you want to hear and set the sleep timer fot that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back