The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 3, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #14,011 of 19,652
i tried the usb dac function on 2.34 and its working ok for me on windows 8.1,

i installed the drivers, connected the x5 as dac, then went to sound option under control panel, now it shows 2 devices, right click the x5 and set as default.

that has worked for me on 2.34

Thanks for the update.

This is Windows, so when I get some spare time, hopefully tonight, I'll reset and reboot everything.
Then, if I have no success, I'll take the X5 out back and shoot it!

I probably missed one step.:xf_eek:

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #14,012 of 19,652
Looking for recommendations on a storage program for music.  I used to use Media Monkey, still a good choice?  Other options?  Thanks.

I prefer MediaMonkey.
Foobar is not the most user friendly interface.

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #14,013 of 19,652
@chrisj

I tried tonight - haven't used the DAC for a while.  To try and emulate what you're doing, I uninstalled the drivers - and reinstalled them again.  The drivers I am using are from this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729521/fiio-x3-x5-usb-drivers-for-windows-only

Installed, selected the X5 as default device, and made sure output in my audio program was also going to the X5 (you have to specify it in my Foobar set-up).  DAC working correctly.  Firmware is 2.34 beta.  Sound out of the X5.

Thanks, I'll take another kick at it when I get some spare time! :p

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #14,016 of 19,652
I'm neutral on the idea.  I was using  a custom mod firmware, but went back to the stock for the newest beta.  It's ok.  I guess as long as Fiio goes for legibility it'd be ok.  I like lots of contrast so I can see icons against a dark background.  

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #14,017 of 19,652
compared, mediamonkey, foobar, and all other software, for my ears foobar sounded the best.. you wiil have to build the UI, and add components sometimes.. with x5 it seems to sound best...

[It might be a problem of compatibility with my computer, but all music players had a different, particular sound to them, and foobar2000 sounded the best]

i would love the new ui with x5!

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #14,018 of 19,652
I'm neutral on the idea.  I was using  a custom mod firmware, but went back to the stock for the newest beta.  It's ok.  I guess as long as Fiio goes for legibility it'd be ok.  I like lots of contrast so I can see icons against a dark background.  

Do you want your Blue LIM theme updated to the latest beta olddude?

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #14,019 of 19,652
I bought my fiio x5 some time ago and have just started using it. The problem I am having is it won't easily turn on. Simply pressing the ON/OFF button won't turn it on. I tried keep pressing the ON/OFF button for a while, pressing it several times in a row etc. It eventually turns on but I could not figure out how to turn it on in the first try. 

Is there is something wrong with this particular unit or there is a secret combination of key strokes that will turn it on? 
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #14,020 of 19,652
  I bought my fiio x5 some time ago and have just started using it. The problem I am having is it won't easily turn on. Simply pressing the ON/OFF button won't turn it on. I tried keep pressing the ON/OFF button for a while, pressing it several times in a row etc. It eventually turns on but I could not figure out how to turn it on in the first try. 

Is there is something wrong with this particular unit or there is a secret combination of key strokes that will turn it on? 

No...just press and hold for a couple of seconds then let go

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #14,024 of 19,652

Chris, if you're using MediaMonkey I'm assuming you selected the X5 as the DAC via the output selection menu?

i tried the usb dac function on 2.34 and its working ok for me on windows 8.1,

i installed the drivers, connected the x5 as dac, then went to sound option under control panel, now it shows 2 devices, right click the x5 and set as default.

that has worked for me on 2.34

@chrisj

I tried tonight - haven't used the DAC for a while.  To try and emulate what you're doing, I uninstalled the drivers - and reinstalled them again.  The drivers I am using are from this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729521/fiio-x3-x5-usb-drivers-for-windows-only

Installed, selected the X5 as default device, and made sure output in my audio program was also going to the X5 (you have to specify it in my Foobar set-up).  DAC working correctly.  Firmware is 2.34 beta.  Sound out of the X5.

Thanks for all the help guys!
I finally got it to work.   
biggrin.gif

it didn't occur to me to go into Foobar and Media Monkey and have to set the output to FiiO X5!
Thanks again, and sorry if I missed anyone.  
Chris

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #14,025 of 19,652
Thanks for all the help guys!
I finally got it to work.   :D
it didn't occur to me to go into Foobar and Media Monkey and have to set the output to FiiO X5!
Thanks again, and sorry if I missed anyone.  
Chris

It's usually always the simplest answer that we miss. :wink:

Good to go over the steps for others that are inexperienced with using the device so, no worries. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back