The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #13,771 of 19,652
Thanks for the replies everyone!  My X5 does turn off after a few minutes of inactivity, I've set it that way, however, this only works when the music is paused.  So, if the music stays paused for an extended time, it will power off.  However, usually in my case, I just put my X5 down, simply taking my monitors out of my ears, and not pausing the music.  Because the music is still playing, the X5 doesn't enter a state of inactivity, and therefore, does not turn off.

If I put a sleep timer on it, eventually my X5 just shuts off on me when I'm listening to it on the go.  I could just power it back on, but I notice the inconvenience of it.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #13,772 of 19,652
If you are pulling the monitors out of your ears, you've stopped listening to it, yes?  So either push the center button to pause the music or unplug the monitors, which does the same thing.  Either way, the machine will shut down.

What you describe is not a feature that anyone else wants, because anyone listening to music doesn't want it to just shut off in the middle of a song.  Since you say you've stopped listening, I can't see why you want the music to keep on playing.  Especially as you end up with a depleted battery.  So hit that center button or pop the headphone jack out, it pauses, and Bob's your uncle.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #13,773 of 19,652
I am worried that the more features we demand, the more likelihood James is going to factor in more cost elements in his future products. 
ph34r.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #13,775 of 19,652
  The X5 downcoverts HD FLACS internally? There's nothing in the manual that indicates this. Where did you read this?

Nope - it doesn't - it plays natively.

What it does is convert DSD to PCM on the fly.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #13,778 of 19,652
  Something else that the manual fails to document, along with the specs.

Both specs and the fact that DSD plays in up to 24/192 is listed on the website.

There has also been discussion here on it.

What is your problem?

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #13,779 of 19,652
I just Received my X5,

and it sounds AMAZING, but i have problems with the usability and navigation as its not easy at all,

iam getting used to it but i would like to suggest some modifications if could be added to next firmwares :

1- external Playlists of 2000+ totally freeze the device for may be 10 min and when it works, if you accidentally moved backwards to access it again it goes through the same scenario, while on my rockboxed dx50 it worked like a breeze, the playlist opens instantly.

2- Would like to create playlists from folders recursively on the device.

3- Would like to add a delete option to folders and files.

4- For ease of navigation in big folders, when you press down or up for more than 5 seconds or turn the wheel fast for more than 5 seconds, it starts moving through letters (like ipod classic),
because apparently the x5 buttons seems totally not reliable or heavy duty, so scrolling in big folders might take forever while its wearing the buttons.

5- One last thing that might not be important at all :D adding a search function, and i think the easiest way to be implemented, will be the same as ipod classic also.

thats some thoughts from the top of my head, if i had any more ideas i will point them out.

other than that its going great !!

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #13,780 of 19,652

Something else that the manual fails to document, along with the specs.

I agree with brooko, everything is ok set in the manual.

sorry for my bad english while talking about some things.

now back to the ideea, as you can keep the different master AND low space if you downconvert hi-res to 16/44.1, i think that it would be in everyone's personal interest to downconvert.

Hi res play normal, but DSD are converted to pcm. Not that the sound of the two should have been different, only the technology.

About that LED thingy, i consider it a very bad ideea, everything that would eat the batterry would be bad for the MUSIC functionality of the player. Adding an option in the settings menu for this would not hurt anyone on the other hand.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #13,782 of 19,652
I recently opened https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=196 to use the Album Artist instead of the Artist tag in the library. I was surprised that nobody had already done it.

from what i am used to do, album artist and artist mean the same thing, and as most of us do the tagging ourselves, there is little to no difference. And, for not keeping a lot of tags as it slows down the play and can create bugs, i only tag song name, artist, und album name, year ang genera.

EDIT::   comment, album artist, composer and discnumber and covert art embbeded in file seem to slow down the player and create certain bugs. I am using mp3tag, so i should be error free.

Anyways, if say a song is linkin park - in the end, artist is linkin park, and album artist is linkin park, for example, why would you have different album artist from artist?

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #13,783 of 19,652
HD tracks play at their listed bit rate.  You can see what they are playing at when the song starts playing, as it appears on the screen.  So, if a track is 24/192 it will display that on the screen for the first five seconds or so.

DSD is converted to PCM.  I've read different places that it goes to 24/88, but it could be as Brooko says and it goes to 24/192.  Either way, HD sounds great with the X5 and a good pair of iems or phones.  

I have no desire to down convert anything lower than what it is.  It is not in my personal interest to do so,  
regular_smile .gif
  If space is an issue for you in a device that holds two 128gb cards, then you might want to consider removing some things you don't listen to that often.  Removing a song is better then removing the sound quality of that song.  At least to me.  

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #13,784 of 19,652
BubbaBobQuote:
  The X5 downcoverts HD FLACS internally? There's nothing in the manual that indicates this. Where did you read this?

Quote: Originally Posted by olddude 

...And that is when I convert them down to 24/192, or let the X5 convert internally to 24/88. On my home system, full out, they are brilliant.

BubbaBob

The X5 downcoverts HD files internally? There's nothing in the manual about that. 

What I was referring to was that, if I personally wanted to down convert a DSD to 24/192 I could do so (and I have).  The X5 does down convert DSD to either 24/88 or 24/192 (Brooko is very likely correct about the latter, though I'm sure I read somewhere about the former).  Everything else HD plays as is.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #13,785 of 19,652
  I am worried that the more features we demand, the more likelihood James is going to factor in more cost elements in his future products. 
ph34r.gif

Nah, he's already dialing in the X7.  He and Joe are dropping clues all over these boards, it's like Xmas already.  Then we wait 'till May before we can unwrap our presents.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back