The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #12,466 of 19,652
Anyone able to stream music from a lpad through your x5? I get a error message

A low power USB mode has been requested by several people on here, i don't know if it's possible though? /cc JamesFiiO

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #12,467 of 19,652
about my question about the covers... i think that the best resolution would be for the microsdxc cards and the player to not add a cover at all....

but if covers are very very nice i think that it is better to just add them in the folder... this might be true for windows too.... it is too much of a hassle to try to add a cover to a file, as it slows down it's read speed, and makes the deconding process harder on the DAP and the batterry...

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #12,468 of 19,652
Quote:
Anyone able to stream music from a lpad through your x5? I get a error message

Quote:
A low power USB mode has been requested by several people on here, i don't know if it's possible though? 

If you put a passive (unpowered) USB hub in between them it "should" trick the iPad & work. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-2-0-Port-Hub/dp/B005HKIDF2

Keep in mind you will need the Apple camera connector kit, but I'm guessing you probably do if you've already been trying.

Unfortunately it's not exactly the most portable friendly option.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #12,469 of 19,652
Evening all,

I own a Fiio X5 for some months now and very happy with the device.
To me a somewhat analogue sound, very involving and easy listening.
But I suppose all that will have been mentioned in the previous 831 pages
normal_smile .gif

What maybe might be interesting is my very recent experience with new IEM's
I paired the player with AKG's K3003i and must say very happy so far.

Some personal key impressions:
- Soundstage probably not the widest I ever exprienced but quit enough for me.
- Treble a bit tamed with the "black bass filters" and revealing but not piercing.
- Mids probably a tiny bit recessed but hardly noticeable.
- Bass not the most tight bass I ever heard but very well present

And now for my overall impression (to me the most important)
- Very nice open sound but not harsh, stil relaxing.
- No listening fatigue at all after 3 hours of non stop music.
- Music sources mostly close by (like experiencing everything from the first row)
- Lot of details, never realised there was even more to hear then with IE800's.
- Coherent presentation though with nice separation in sources.
- They make me listen even to less preferred songs without urge to skip them.

This last point is 1 of my references for a good set.
It means that a set is capable of bringing me more than 1 kind of emotion,
exciting when I want it to be but also "backgound relaxing" while doing other things.

Just my personal opinion and forgive me for not reading 831 pages to find out
if this marriage has been mentioned/discussed before.
Just hope some music lovers might benefit from this post.

Best regards,
ThaPapper.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #12,470 of 19,652
  Evening all,

I own a Fiio X5 for some months now and very happy with the device.
To me a somewhat analogue sound, very involving and easy listening.
But I suppose all that will have been mentioned in the previous 831 pages
normal_smile .gif

What maybe might be interesting is my very recent experience with new IEM's
I paired the player with AKG's K3003i and must say very happy so far.

Some personal key impressions:
- Soundstage probably not the widest I ever exprienced but quit enough for me.
- Treble a bit tamed with the "black bass filters" and revealing but not piercing.
- Mids probably a tiny bit recessed but hardly noticeable.
- Bass not the most tight bass I ever heard but very well present

And now for my overall impression (to me the most important)
- Very nice open sound but not harsh, stil relaxing.
- No listening fatigue at all after 3 hours of non stop music.
- Music sources mostly close by (like experiencing everything from the first row)
- Lot of details, never realised there was even more to hear then with IE800's.
- Coherent presentation though with nice separation in sources.
- They make me listen even to less preferred songs without urge to skip them.

This last point is 1 of my references for a good set.
It means that a set is capable of bringing me more than 1 kind of emotion,
exciting when I want it to be but also "backgound relaxing" while doing other things.

Just my personal opinion and forgive me for not reading 831 pages to find out
if this marriage has been mentioned/discussed before.
Just hope some music lovers might benefit from this post.

Best regards,
ThaPapper.

Thanks for your impressions.  I'm waiting on SE-846s.  Good to hear a straight positive review describing the increased pleasure you've gotten out of music, which is the main point of all of this.
Kevin

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #12,472 of 19,652
If you put a passive (unpowered) USB hub in between them it "should" trick the iPad & work. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-2-0-Port-Hub/dp/B005HKIDF2

Keep in mind you will need the Apple camera connector kit, but I'm guessing you probably do if you've already been trying.

Unfortunately it's not exactly the most portable friendly option.
thx I returned the camera thing.. but will rebuy.. how is the sound quality.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #12,473 of 19,652
thx I returned the camera thing.. but will rebuy.. how is the sound quality.

I've only connected a Fiio E07 to my iPad, haven't bothered trying with the X5, so unfortunately I can't confirm whether it will actually work, or how it sounds.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #12,475 of 19,652
ALSO, question about x5::: how is it faster, to use it with embbeded cover art into flac files, or to leave a cover.jpg file in the folder?....

i mean, until now i have been using mp3tag, which embbedes cover art into files directly, and it does tag flac with apev2 tags, so it should be fine, but i kinda noticed that x5 plays and changes these files pretty slow... so....

i am wondering how is everybody's else experience with this feature?..... also, is it better to have album art, at what resolution, what type and, is it better for the x5 in general to not have album art at all?...  I mean, it would be a very very nice feature but if it would eat through batterry i would rather enjoy the music only .^_^. ..

Album art doesn't use any extra battery unless you keep the screen on all the time just to look at it.

It will work the same (with the current firmware) whether embedded or cover.jpg/folder.jpg. Throwing an image into the folder is quicker, doesn't waste space by copying the data several times (once for each song versus one file for the whole album), doesn't use time/effort embedding. But if you've already embedded some albums it doesn't really matter at all.

The resolution doesn't really matter if you choose an image you like. Under 300x300 will generally look bad anyway; the X5 works with my images that are over 1000x1000 but surely it must fall over at some point so I try to keep them at around 1000x1000 max. I only go that high because I like to keep a nice image with each album; the X5 only displays a tiny proportion of that resolution anyway.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #12,476 of 19,652
That might be the problem.... the x5 will change between songs much slower with embedded art cover.... i am yet to see what will happen when the art is in the folder...

Also, i have noticed that the slow down in changing songs is greater when the embedded art is higher resolution.... tell me at least, if this only happens to me....

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #12,477 of 19,652
Are you using old firmware? What kind of files?

The change between songs, audio-wise, is completely instant/gapless regardless of any album art. You might see a longer delay to load the artwork on older firmware, but not the song itself.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #12,478 of 19,652
Some of you may want to bring your X5 along with you when you are working out, hiking, traveling, etc as I do, & I think I have come across a way that will work well for me.

I found this armband yesterday & have modified it slightly so I can connect a USB flash drive through the pocket as both will not fit in the pocket (I cut a small hole at the bottom to feed the OTG cable connector through).

This should work great when flying as it will be out of the way. The USB drive can hang from the X5, or can be tucked up under the armband for peace of mind.

These ones come in packs of 2 (white & black), & I got them at Radio Shack for $25. One for exercising, one for traveling.

p.s. The USB drive I bought is a PNY turbo 256GB 3.0 & it is working perfectly out of the package (already formatted fat32) with the X5 OTG cable. It is full of DSD files & they sound great straight from the X5 HO.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #12,479 of 19,652
^Thanks for that, I'll definitely get one.

What transfer rates are you guys getting? When I used the USB-MicroSD thingy I'm only getting 9-14mb/s, about the same as plugging in the X5 directly with a MicroSD in it if I remember correctly

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #12,480 of 19,652

And this bag by R&K / Klickfix works great on a bike. Easy and secure push/pull system. Holds a X5+E12 (padded) + smartphone (touchscreen surface) + IEM's and tips (netting and hole for HP/line out). Currently using the X5+Vorzuge Amp duo and fits like a glove. Highly recommended!

Edit: Link - http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p63754/rixen-kaul-phonebag-plus-smart-phone-case-with-extra-storage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back