The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #12,451 of 19,652
My x5 gets warm when using, hot when it is from usb dac to headphone out

edit : temperature

Edit 2 : It gets slightly warm when normally using it, it gets slighlty warmer when charging it and using it, and it seems to get warmer when using it as a DAC on headphones out with the speakers...

if the speakers are connected on the line out it seems to have a normal warm temperature...
if it is used as a DAC and the headphones are used in the headphones out, it is normal warm temperature....

It is warmer when it is on and working than when it is off.... i was curious if this is for everybody....

i mean, it is not hot like a modern phone when playing games... but it is warm... like j3 was when it was working.... i am not sure if i should make any tests about batterry life, as i fiind it pretty pointless...

also, i am kind of unhappy with the silicone case, how easly does it scratch, and would a leather case be an option, as it costs ~20$?....

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #12,452 of 19,652
So your car stereo has an "ipod" line in. Wouldn't an in line attenuator produce a better sound than using the headphone out?

Yes, "iPod line in" as in 'designed for mainstream weaker amp output from iDevices HO out'. The stereo is marketed as 'premium Bose' but it's really a POS and can't handle the LO voltage from the X5. The distortion is terrible so I'm forced to use HO with a lower volume. I hadn't considered an attenuator as the HO is 'good enough' for in the car, which I rarely use anyway - mostly listen to news radio in the car.

Now I'm interested in an in line attenuator. Thanks. :wink:

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #12,453 of 19,652
My x5 gets warm when using, hot when it is from usb dac to headphone out

edit : temperature

Edit 2 : It gets slightly warm when normally using it, it gets slighlty warmer when charging it and using it, and it seems to get warmer when using it as a DAC on headphones out with the speakers...

if the speakers are connected on the line out it seems to have a normal warm temperature...
if it is used as a DAC and the headphones are used in the headphones out, it is normal warm temperature....

It is warmer when it is on and working than when it is off.... i was curious if this is for everybody....

i mean, it is not hot like a modern phone when playing games... but it is warm... like j3 was when it was working.... i am not sure if i should make any tests about batterry life, as i fiind it pretty pointless...

also, i am kind of unhappy with the silicone case, how easly does it scratch, and would a leather case be an option, as it costs ~20$?....

This is normal operation and nothing to worry about. Just the amp, DAC, and battery doing their thing. It gets warm.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #12,454 of 19,652

Maybe consider the HS11 clear case.  It's not bullet proof (mine has a slight crack on the rear) - but the thing I like about it is that it's low profile, and you only really see the X5 (ie it does it's job without getting in the way).

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #12,455 of 19,652
Yes, "iPod line in" as in 'designed for mainstream weaker amp output from iDevices HO out'. The stereo is marketed as 'premium Bose' but it's really a POS and can't handle the LO voltage from the X5. The distortion is terrible so I'm forced to use HO with a lower volume. I hadn't considered an attenuator as the HO is 'good enough' for in the car, which I rarely use anyway - mostly listen to news radio in the car.

Now I'm interested in an in line attenuator. Thanks.
wink.gif

Another method, which I use as my old car Stereo doesn't have a line in, is to run a length of Stereo RCA from the rear connectors. I have an old Sony Minidisc player and I connect to the CD changer inputs. A simple 2x RCA to stereo 3.5mm jack provides the connection to the X5 - sounds great...

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #12,456 of 19,652
It's a shame that due to weak, and "subpar" products, other devices, such as car stereos, abuse standards such as "line in" for different purpose than it should really be.

The X5, although it has a bit more powerful output than most devices, has a true line out, they keep to a standard, and then almost get blamed for it...

With this i really don't mean you guys are blaming FiiO, but i understand why and how this has happened.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #12,457 of 19,652
It's a shame that due to weak, and "subpar" products, other devices, such as car stereos, abuse standards such as "line in" for different purpose than it should really be.

The X5, although it has a bit more powerful output than most devices, has a true line out, they keep to a standard, and then almost get blamed for it...

With this i really don't mean you guys are blaming FiiO, but i understand why and how this has happened.

Agreed!

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #12,458 of 19,652

What standard? The X5 is rated at 1.5 Vrms, the X3 at 1.7 Vrms; "Consumer audio" is about 0.3 Vrms, "professional audio" is about 1.2 Vrms, a CD player is 2 Vrms, an iPod Classic is about 0.83 Vrms, a Clip+ is about 0.5 Vrms, and my Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone does about 0.13 Vrms. As you can see, "line outs" are all over the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Nominal_levels

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #12,459 of 19,652
Another method, which I use as my old car Stereo doesn't have a line in, is to run a length of Stereo RCA from the rear connectors. I have an old Sony Minidisc player and I connect to the CD changer inputs. A simple 2x RCA to stereo 3.5mm jack provides the connection to the X5 - sounds great...

Another good suggestion, but I'm still waiting for a double din head unit that I like before I do anything to the dash. This car is more for handling and fun than critical listening. :D Besides, I don't think the stereo in the car has RCA. It's an in-dash 6 CD changer.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #12,460 of 19,652
What standard? The X5 is rated at 1.5 Vrms, the X3 at 1.7 Vrms; "Consumer audio" is about 0.3 Vrms, "professional audio" is about 1.2 Vrms, a CD player is 2 Vrms, an iPod Classic is about 0.83 Vrms, a Clip+ is about 0.5 Vrms, and my Sony Xperia Z1 smartphone does about 0.13 Vrms. As you can see, "line outs" are all over the map.

Professional line level peak amplitude is at 1.7v, according to the table a little lower on that page?

I must say, i am not quite at home with this all, so if i misunderstood how it's measured, my apologies.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #12,461 of 19,652

Interesting. I thought the line out on the X5 was 1.5 Vpk (peak) not Vrms (nominal), just double checked.

I guess it depends on the standard for line input. Most stereo amps will cater to the 2Vrms standard line out of CD players so I suppose that is where, in the mainstream audio world, line in standard should handle 2Vrms. For aux jacks in the car there is no consideration for things such as CD players so no standard needs to be adhered to.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #12,462 of 19,652
so... line out.... has less or more voltage than headphone out?....

just checked, for fun, and the line out if plugged into headphones does not distort... but it is louder than i should ever listen....

Still: EDIT:: I cannot understand if i should be using speakers with the headphone out or the line out?.... line out seems to have a great deal of internal resistance and a very very high voltage.... so.... why?... i mean?.... i really cannot understand where is this leading?...

EDIT 2::: So, if i connect a speaker to the line out, it is bad... probably.... for headphones it is bad clearly.... but for an amp it is not that bad because the amp has a high impedance... this i got for now.... can anyone who is into electronics more explain what are these features intented for?.... and how do i use them?...

Edit 3::: Ohm's law doesn't seem to clarify everything......

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #12,464 of 19,652
  so... line out.... has less or more voltage than headphone out?....

just checked, for fun, and the line out if plugged into headphones does not distort... but it is louder than i should ever listen....

Still: EDIT:: I cannot understand if i should be using speakers with the headphone out or the line out?.... line out seems to have a great deal of internal resistance and a very very high voltage.... so.... why?... i mean?.... i really cannot understand where is this leading?...

EDIT 2::: So, if i connect a speaker to the line out, it is bad... probably.... for headphones it is bad clearly.... but for an amp it is not that bad because the amp has a high impedance... this i got for now.... can anyone who is into electronics more explain what are these features intented for?.... and how do i use them?...

Edit 3::: Ohm's law doesn't seem to clarify everything......

The headphone out is for headphones.
The line out is an unadulterated, unamplified, un-volume-controlled signal to send to amps (and mixing desks).

I don't know if you've mentioned whether your speakers are connected to an amp/have their own power source. If so, use the line out. You shouldn't connect a speaker directly to the line out, no.

If you want to have volume control on the X5 as well as the amp/desk you can use the headphone out for those as well, it's just that it's a weaker signal and will give a worse signal/noise ratio, which is why the line out is included.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #12,465 of 19,652
they are some microlab solo 7c, they have internal amp on them, they heat a lot.... i am not sure how is their resistance, if the line out has ~600ohm, then, if they don't have a lot of resistance it could shortcircuit them or the x5.... i mean, if you have a generator's resistance very very high, a light resistance on the external circuit makes it shortcircuit, as far as electricity goes, right?.... i am afraid i don't really have where to look for what the jack of the speakers impedance is.... it kind of sounded better with the line out, but now i am using headphone out, due to fear to not shortcircuit them....

ALSO, question about x5::: how is it faster, to use it with embbeded cover art into flac files, or to leave a cover.jpg file in the folder?....

i mean, until now i have been using mp3tag, which embbedes cover art into files directly, and it does tag flac with apev2 tags, so it should be fine, but i kinda noticed that x5 plays and changes these files pretty slow... so....

i am wondering how is everybody's else experience with this feature?..... also, is it better to have album art, at what resolution, what type and, is it better for the x5 in general to not have album art at all?...  I mean, it would be a very very nice feature but if it would eat through batterry i would rather enjoy the music only .^_^. ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back