The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #12,421 of 19,652
With the announcement of the 512GB SD card, you could fit 1 TB of music on it, be it with SD to micro SD card converters. :p

lol.  I just saw the announcement this morning too.  Pretty insane.  $800 for a 512GB SD. 
eek.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #12,422 of 19,652
May seem like a stupid question, but when making a playlist, you point the files to either "TF1:\" or "TF2:\"  depending on where the source audio file is, correct?  

That's how I've been doing it so far, and it's worked... But what if the files are on a microSD card connected via OTG?

Does the path name then start with "OTG:\"  or something along those lines?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #12,423 of 19,652
^ you are correct. It worked for me when I tried an external USB drive.

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #12,424 of 19,652
Sep 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #12,425 of 19,652
Sorry for the double post, but I have another question!

I just received my Meenova in the mail, and tried it out.  My X5 doesn't seem to be recognizing any music on the card.  My Mac and PC both recognize the card though, and it is formatted to FAT32.

Placing the card in one of the internal TF slots allows it to be read correctly.

Is it perhaps the brand of card that I'm using?  I think it's a Transcend card, I got on sale.  Again, it works internally, but not with the Meenova.
Can anyone confirm a working brand of card?  Perhaps SanDisk?

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #12,426 of 19,652
  Sorry for the double post, but I have another question!

I just received my Meenova in the mail, and tried it out.  My X5 doesn't seem to be recognizing any music on the card.  My Mac and PC both recognize the card though, and it is formatted to FAT32.

Placing the card in one of the internal TF slots allows it to be read correctly.

Is it perhaps the brand of card that I'm using?  I think it's a Transcend card, I got on sale.  Again, it works internally, but not with the Meenova.
Can anyone confirm a working brand of card?  Perhaps SanDisk?

I ordered 2 Meenova's when I heard about them & I had similar issues to you. It appears it was a bad reader, the 2nd Meenova worked fine.

Given how cheap they are I didn't bother trying to send the first one back. If you only have one definitely contact them for a replacement.

I am using Sandisk cards, but given the card works in your Mac & PC, I'm pretty confident its the Meenova.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #12,427 of 19,652
  I ordered 2 Meenova's when I heard about them & I had similar issues to you. It appears it was a bad reader, the 2nd Meenova worked fine.

Given how cheap they are I didn't bother trying to send the first one back. If you only have one definitely contact them for a replacement.

I am using Sandisk cards, but given the card works in your Mac & PC, I'm pretty confident its the Meenova.

I'll definitely consider getting in touch with them ASAP.  Another thing that may cause the issue..... you mentioned you ordered the Meenova when it first came out?  Apparently that generation of readers has been discontinued.

What I have is the new generation, called the "Dash Micro," still made by Meenova, but I can't seem to be able to order the original model anywhere.
I can't see why the generation change would make a huge difference, but it's a possibility.

EDIT: Also, something to mention.  It says that there is no music found on the card, however, when I unplug the meenova, the X5 pops up with a dialog saying that the OTG was disconnected.... so it's seeing "something," just not the music, apparently

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #12,428 of 19,652
  I'll definitely consider getting in touch with them ASAP.  Another thing that may cause the issue..... you mentioned you ordered the Meenova when it first came out?  Apparently that generation of readers has been discontinued.

What I have is the new generation, called the "Dash Micro," still made by Meenova, but I can't seem to be able to order the original model anywhere.
I can't see why the generation change would make a huge difference, but it's a possibility.

EDIT: Also, something to mention.  It says that there is no music found on the card, however, when I unplug the meenova, the X5 pops up with a dialog saying that the OTG was disconnected.... so it's seeing "something," just not the music, apparently

I got the disconnected messages as well with the bad one, that's what really frustrated me until I tried the 2nd Meenova to confirm the 1st was bad.

I didn't realize there was a new version, I'll have to check it out. I bought mine in April.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #12,429 of 19,652
  I got the disconnected messages as well with the bad one, that's what really frustrated me until I tried the 2nd Meenova to confirm the 1st was bad.

I didn't realize there was a new version, I'll have to check it out. I bought mine in April.

So here's an update on the Meenova situation, and I sort of think it should be a warning to everyone going down this road:

WARNING: The 2nd Generation Meenova MicroSD OTG reader, dubbed the "Dash Micro" does not seem to work with the FiiO X5 (Your mileage may vary... :p
The original Meenova 1st Gen. Model seems to work well with the X5 (based on comments from other users).

I know that both the MicroSD card and the meenova were not defective, because the card was recognized by both my Mac and PC, and I used the Meenova on my other android tablets and phones, everything worked fine, except when you stick the X5 in the middle :frowning2:

Here was my solution
I went out and bought another OTG MicroSD reader, similar to the Meenova, but bulkier, manufactured by Transcend.  The X5 STILL didn't recognize this.
As a last resort, I went out and bought an OTG 64 GB Flash Drive, manufactured by Kingston (I wasn't even aware they made these...).
I stuck some music on the flash drive....... and voila!  Everything works.  I stuck some music on the drive, and everything works like a charm

I'm a happy camper now, though spending that little bit of excess cash, and wasted time kind of ticks me off.

Link to the Kingston OTG drive. 

Amazon.com :   http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-32GB-Traveler-MicroDuo-DTDUO/dp/B00IRUS7KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410625696&sr=8-1&keywords=otg+flash+drive
Kingston official product page:   http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/otg

Note:  SanDisk also makes their own USB OTG drives.

As the amateur picture below shows, the drive doesn't stick out that much farther than a Meenova normally would, though it kind of sucks that the drive isn't "expandable" (in the sense that the Meenova can easily swap card sizes).

Happy Listening! 

hifx

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #12,430 of 19,652
Just got some HiFiman HE400i and it pairs extremely well with the X5/E12! I cannot express how good the synergy is between these. I have the X3 with the E11 and without and its not even close. I really don't see how it could get much better. I know everyone has there own opinions but these combo is worth writing home about...I let a couple of people at work who would care less about this and they all said the same thing"WOW"!

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #12,431 of 19,652
I used to have HE400 and E12 drove it really well I guess it works well with HE400i too.
But if you want an even fuller sound with that combo(X5) get Rsa predator instead of E12 or get a Occ copper interconnect instead of stock cable.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #12,432 of 19,652
I used to have HE400 and E12 drove it really well I guess it works well with HE400i too.
But if you want an even fuller sound with that combo(X5) get Rsa predator instead of E12 or get a Occ copper interconnect instead of stock cable.

Good to know, thanks. I'm sticking with the gear I have for a bit, I want to get the X7 when it comes out. I'm trying to slow down on the buying and enjoy what I have which is easier said than done...

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #12,433 of 19,652
im thinking there is alot of articles claiming upgraded cables are over rated.. correct me if im wrong. As I have the X5. E12diy he400 combo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back