The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #11,761 of 19,652
My first impression about the sound quality with the firmware 2.2 is not really good. The sound is not open, the stage is smaller, the highs are stressful. I switch back to fw2.0

done - fw2.0 - and the sound is how i like it. There must something went wrong. I'll try it later again.
Strange... someone else making the same experience after upgrading to FW 2.2 ?

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #11,763 of 19,652

Hi Loquah,

So, I re-installed Media Monkey just to do this. Sorry if this sounds ignorant/clueless, but how can one generate automatically extended m3u formats on MM? (I did google how to do it, but I couldn't find it.) When I created the playlist, I was able to save it only as a simple m3u.

Since I couldn't generate extended m3u playlists on MM, I actually typed in the extended formulas like in your example above (with the specs for the songs on my playlist, of course) to see if that would work. It finally was able to get to the song listing in folder view, but when I selected each song, it said "File not found."

I think I'm going to give up at this point and wait until FiiO solves the issue (though I think it is me that's doing something wrong, as it seems to work for the rest of you, right?)...  

Thank you all for your help!

Don't give up.

Here's what your file should look like:

#EXTM3U
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\01 Zygote.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\02 Mocking Bird Dream.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\03 Nightcrawler.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\04 Seven Sacred Pools.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\05 School Daze.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\06 Hes Like You.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\07 Journey Home.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\08 Out Of Body.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\09 Primordial Landscape.m4a
TF1:\Patrick Cowley\School Daze\10 Tides Of Man.m4a

And that's it.

I did notice that you spelled Primordial Lanscape - instead of Primordial Landscape
So check your spelling just in case.

And you file has to have an .m3u extension - so it should be called schooldaze.m3u

Try that and see if it works 
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #11,764 of 19,652
Strange... someone else making the same experience after upgrading to FW 2.2 ?

I don't want to go too far ahead, but that had been my first impression, too. I use Fischer Amps FA3-BX w/o earmolds.
I will lhave to get some, because my ears are too large even for triflanges.
But I thought, it couldn't change from one day to another so rapidly...
thanks for your hint, I will try 2.0, too and will report back.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #11,765 of 19,652
  I don't want to go too far ahead, but that had been my first impression, too. I use Fischer Amps FA3-BX w/o earmolds.
I will lhave to get some, because my ears are too large even for triflanges.
But I thought, it couldn't change from one day to another so rapidly...
thanks for your hint, I will try 2.0, too and will report back.

I'm curious about the result.
Basically, I find no explanation for this sonic degradation.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #11,766 of 19,652

I know there's playlist editor software. Should I try that instead? In the last two hours I have tried different files and saving them in different ways, but the X5 can't find the files, either in folder view or playlist view.

You have had some great advice already and hopefully your playlists are now working.
I have followed the contributions and found it rerally easy to use Foobar - connect your X5 via USB and enqueue everything you want in your playlist in Foobar. Make sure everything is selected and choose "Save as playlist" from the "Utilities" menu and save as .m3u8. You then need to edit the file by adding #EXTM3U at the beginning and replacing the windows drive letters with TF1 or 2. (I used notepad++). Then copy this file to the X5...

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #11,767 of 19,652
  You have had some great advice already and hopefully your playlists are now working.
I have followed the contributions and found it rerally easy to use Foobar - connect your X5 via USB and enqueue everything you want in your playlist in Foobar. Make sure everything is selected and choose "Save as playlist" from the "Utilities" menu and save as .m3u8. You then need to edit the file by adding #EXTM3U at the beginning and replacing the windows drive letters with TF1 or 2. (I used notepad++). Then copy this file to the X5...

Don't give up.

Here's what your file should look like:

And that's it.

I did notice that you spelled Primordial Lanscape - instead of Primordial Landscape
So check your spelling just in case.

And you file has to have an .m3u extension - so it should be called schooldaze.m3u

Try that and see if it works 
wink.gif

Hi Brooko and uzi2,

It worked! I tried both your methods. I wanted to experiment, so after that, I opened a new text document in the TF folders, using "#EXTM3U" and another one without it. The issue was not adding #EXTM3U. I tried both .m3u and .m3u8 extensions and both worked as long as #EXTM3U was added.

Thank you so, so much!!!

P.S.: Brooko, that is a typo on the original file, LOL! I actually noticed it when I first created the playlist and was about to add the "d," but then I went to the original folder and both the title track and the path were missing that letter! Funny! 

Thank you again everyone for all your help!

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #11,768 of 19,652
Hi Brooko and uzi2,

It worked! I tried both your methods. I wanted to experiment, so after that, I opened a new text document in the TF folders, using "#EXTM3U" and another one without it. The issue was not adding #EXTM3U. I tried both .m3u and .m3u8 extensions and both worked as long as #EXTM3U was added.

Thank you so, so much!!!

P.S.: Brooko, that is a typo on the original file, LOL! I actually noticed it when I first created the playlist and was about to add the "d," but then I went to the original folder and both the title track and the path were missing that letter! Funny! 

Thank you again everyone for all your help!

To make sure all your files work, you should use .m3u8. This will make sure that filenames with letters suck as ø, œ, û, á, etcetera, will be read correctly.

Using foobar will certainly reduce the time you'll need to create a playlist :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #11,769 of 19,652
My first impression about the sound quality with the firmware 2.2 is not really good. The sound is not open, the stage is smaller, the highs are stressful. I switch back to fw2.0

done - fw2.0 - and the sound is how i like it. There must something went wrong. I'll try it later again.

I've experienced the same change today. Upgrade from fw2.0 to 2.2. I prefer the fw2.0 sound

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #11,770 of 19,652
I just bought my X5 yesterday, and maybe it's just me, but there's one thing I noticed, that maybe someone else has experienced?

I have 2 separate 64GB Micro SD Cards, and I have artists A- K on one, and L - Z on the other.
Weirdly enough, when I browse for music by category, it only displays the Artists on TF Card 1
I can't see anything listed from Card 2 in the category listing, and I need to use the file browser to access the songs... Is there any fix for this?

EDIT: I looked back a couple of pages and found out about the 5800 library limit.  Definitely the issue.

Bummer

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #11,771 of 19,652

I've experienced the same change today. Upgrade from fw2.0 to 2.2. I prefer the fw2.0 sound

I spent sometime today listening to both firmwares and with multiple files and can't really say which one I prefer. There certainly does seem to be a slight, and I emphasize, a slight difference in the sound of the two firmwares. I suspect this may just be placebo effect, but either way it makes no sense. Can someone please explain, in plain English, why small changes in the firmware should or would change the sound of the player?

BTW, I do not find the changes in sound with the X5's latest firmware to be anywhere near as dramatic as what happened with the X3 and it's various firmwares.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #11,772 of 19,652
I am in week two with the x5 and a new set of cans. I went from pretty happy with the sound to doing multiple A/B tests with other sources because the sound seemed to change for the worse. I am also drawn to beta software so of-course I upgraded to the latest beta. I hope that downgrading will do the trick or perhaps I too am allowing my imagination to run away with me. One deciding factor to keep the X5 is this great community. A group of people convinced they hear things others don't and using the X5 as a source for their drug of choice.

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #11,773 of 19,652
Update on OTG support: I bought a PNY turbo 256 GB usb stick. I wanted to confirm it works with the X5 using the supplied OTG cable. This is the largest usb stick currently available for the X5. I also wanted to confirm that contrary to someone else's post on this, when using the usb stick, the x5 DOES remember the song just played if you turn off the x5 and turn it in again. It does not go back to the start menu and force you to scroll to the album/song again. :) there is so little info on confirmed external sticks or drives that work with the X5 so I hope this helps.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #11,775 of 19,652
While it may be possible to change the way certain hardware behaves with FW, there have been previous posts from FiiO (Joe I think) stating no changes to sound have been made.

They'd need to officially confirm, but I'm guessing that no mention in the changelog should mean that we're just hearing differently because we're focussed on changes due to new FW. In other words, your brain may be "creating" differences because you're listening to see if any exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back