The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #11,596 of 19,652
Calm... Take a deep breath. Sometimes if there is no answer, you just have to accept that you might be the first to try something. Someone out there has to take the risk, and if you're not willing, you therefore must either give up on it, or wait until someone does.

I am definitely not the first. There are scattered responses from people trying out various ssd's and usb sticks on this forum but no confirmed working brands by fiio, which would help immensely. Otherwise, have to wait until next year when 256 micro comes out.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11,598 of 19,652
256gb x2? Or 256gb total? I can appreciate wanting all of your music I have almost 2TB of flacs that I ripped from my collection but do you really need to bring all of those with you? I only have 1 64gb and it certainly holds enough of my favorite albums.

I guess what I am getting at is most people are likely content with either 2 64gb cards or 2 128 gb cards and don't really need to try otg USB hdd's.

The X5 also scans a 64gb card chalk full of flacs in less than a minute so you could always utilize multiple 64gb cards as they are cheap enough.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #11,599 of 19,652
256gb x2? Or 256gb total? I can appreciate wanting all of your music I have almost 2TB of flacs that I ripped from my collection but do you really need to bring all of those with you? I only have 1 64gb and it certainly holds enough if my favorite albums.

I guess what I am getting at is most people are likely content with either 2 64gb cards or 2 128 gb cards and don't really need to try otg USB hdd's.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "NEED" to bring you entire collection, or at least a very large chunk of it with you, but simply having the most available choices in the most convenient of ways that is the allure of dual 256GB micro SD cards. I will often be out and when the last song ends and I begin browsing whats on the loaded SD cards I sometimes scroll through a large percentage of what's available before I find something I am in the mood for.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #11,600 of 19,652
256gb x2? Or 256gb total? I can appreciate wanting all of your music I have almost 2TB of flacs that I ripped from my collection but do you really need to bring all of those with you? I only have 1 64gb and it certainly holds enough of my favorite albums.

The X5 also scans a 64gb card chalk full of flacs in less than a minute so you could always utilize multiple 64gb cards as they are cheap enough.

Thought about buying multiple micro Sd cards to switch out. The problem is the x5 does not make card switching easy. Cards are hard to remove due to terrible idea of putting hard to remove covers over them instead of simple pop in slot like x3 , and once the x5 is in my silicone case, it's ridiculous to remove that PLUS the card covers everytime I want to switch in a different sd card. This leaves best option to large sd cards that stay in the player, or OTG support for ssd drive.

My soundtrack collection alone (one genre) is already at 80 GB.

I want access to all my music. It's a dream now, but one day.....

Looks like waiting for x7 might be the answer as it will support wifi streaming and then I could use a 1.5 tb battery powered portable wifi drive, which is due out soon.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #11,601 of 19,652
I was thinking of getting an HD650 with a nice tube amp to use with the x5, then I stumbled upon the LCD-X which being only 32 ohms seems like a good substitute to run straight out of the x5. Is this reasonable? I know I will be paying a bit more but would the LCD-X sound near it's best out of the x5 and without high end amplification?

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #11,602 of 19,652
I was thinking of getting an HD650 with a nice tube amp to use with the x5, then I stumbled upon the LCD-X which being only 32 ohms seems like a good substitute to run straight out of the x5. Is this reasonable? I know I will be paying a bit more but would the LCD-X sound near it's best out of the x5 and without high end amplification?

I have the XC not the X, but I can say that I find they benefit from using at least a portable amp (Fiio e12 is a really good, inexpensive choice) over the X5 headphone out. They sound good straight out of the X5 but have much better dynamics when driven with more power.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #11,603 of 19,652
I have the XC not the X, but I can say that I find they benefit from using at least a portable amp (Fiio e12 is a really good, inexpensive choice) over the X5 headphone out. They sound good straight out of the X5 but have much better dynamics when driven with more power.

Thanks, but do you happen to know how it would be different from an HD650 paired with a fairly good tube amp?

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #11,604 of 19,652
Thanks, but do you happen to know how it would be different from an HD650 paired with a fairly good tube amp?

Sorry, I don't have the hd650. I was just responding to your question of being driven straight from the X5.

Your question about the comparison between the headphones would be better answered in the respective headphone threads. :wink:

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #11,605 of 19,652
Sorry, I don't have the hd650. I was just responding to your question of being driven straight from the X5.

Your question about the comparison between the headphones would be better answered in the respective headphone threads.
wink.gif

And how would you describe the XC out of the Oppo HA-1 and the ALO Pan Am compared to the e12? :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #11,606 of 19,652

The headphone out on the X5 does an admirable job with the HD650, it actually sounds pretty good. However, when running it out of the Ear+ HD, the HD650 just sounds more dynamic, and the sound stage is also enjoyably wider. There is no question it will benefit from a quality tube amp, or any amp for that matter.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #11,607 of 19,652
Looks like waiting for x7 might be the answer as it will support wifi streaming and then I could use a 1.5 tb battery powered portable wifi drive, which is due out soon.

Why go for 1.5TB when 2TB is already available?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Storage-Streaming-STCV2000100/dp/B00JSQV44S

Dale

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #11,608 of 19,652
Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted here. Just received my X5 firmware v.2.0, today, got it up and running and it sounds great.

First test with a set of Shure SE215-Ks and 48-24 .wav files from Ancient Future's - Archive of Future Ancient Recordings. I'm really liking the X5.

Next test with my Sennheiser HD-580's, Tangent Pimeta v.1 amp and music above. X5 feeding from line out. Fantastic!

I'm currently using one 64 gb card. The Pimeta was built back in 2005 and has been working flawlessly. Also have a Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy as a portable amp. Yes, I haven't upgraded much in nine years. :wink:

A couple of questions...

Which lossless format works best with the X5?

What program would be best for cd ripping into lossless formats?

Anything else I need to know about the X5?

Thanks for any help.

Ski

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #11,609 of 19,652
And how would you describe the XC out of the Oppo HA-1 and the ALO Pan Am compared to the e12? :D

I use the X5 as a source in all my setups now as I couldn't be bothered to use my laptop anymore, and the sound difference is marginal at best.

In order of preference with the XC headphones:

- X5 Coaxial out - HA-1 Coaxial in - Balanced cable to XC (By far my favourite as it sounds soooo natural and clear, and has excellent dynamics)

- X5 Line out - HA-1 RCA Line in - Balanced cable to XC (Warms up the sound a little with the X5 DAC but loses a bit of the clarity overall for me)

- X5 Line out - Pan Am Line in - Single Ended cable to XC (I'm not a fan of the built in DAC on the Pan Am. There's some tube magic with the Audeze headphones and Pan Am, but I prefer my LCD-2 with this combo for the extra warmth and euphonic soundstage when the mood strikes)

- X5 Line out - E12 Line in - Single Ended cable to XC (Good clarity and detail. Great bass boost to help the lack of dynamics. This combo gets me very close to my full sized setups with the added convenience of being portable)

-X5 Headphone - Single Ended cable to XC (Not bad, gets loud enough but missing that extra level of musicality and dynamics that I like)

:cool:

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #11,610 of 19,652
Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted here. Just received my X5 firmware v.2.0, today, got it up and running and it sounds great.

First test with a set of Shure SE215-Ks and 48-24 .wav files from Ancient Future's - Archive of Future Ancient Recordings. I'm really liking the X5.

Next test with my Sennheiser HD-580's, Tangent Pimeta v.1 amp and music above. X5 feeding from line out. Fantastic!

I'm currently using one 64 gb card. The Pimeta was built back in 2005 and has been working flawlessly. Also have a Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy as a portable amp. Yes, I haven't upgraded much in nine years. :wink:

A couple of questions...

Which lossless format works best with the X5?

What program would be best for cd ripping into lossless formats?

Anything else I need to know about the X5?

Thanks for any help.

Ski

Hello Ski,

I believe FLAC/WAV/ALAC/OGG in that order is best lossless for the X5. The differences shouldn't be hearable though, it's just some tagging problems.
Could be that i missed an update and they all play the same now.

Exact Audio Copy, or EAC, as it's more often called, does a great job at ripping CDs. I am not sure if there's an OS X variant of it.

It's a great player, but you don't want to use the X5 to copy all your music to your micro SD cards. The USB interface is a bit slow with that.

if you have any questions, try reading the manual, and if you still have questions, we'll be here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back