The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #10,666 of 19,652

Just wanted to point out that DSD is 1bit/2.8MHz, not 24bit/88kHz.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooops! Thanks for correcting me! When converted to PCM, is often found in the 24/88 or 24/176 format. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #10,667 of 19,652
Hello
I have an X5, and Fidelio X1.
The sound is wonderful, even in low gain.
No need of an additional amp.

You are correct, I got confused with my headphones and reported the wrong item.

The headphones returned were Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, sorry for any confusion.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #10,669 of 19,652
  Just got my X5 yesterday, used it pretty much all day today until the battery ran out on my commute home (a good four hours better than my HDP-R10) and the SQ is fantastic. My only issue is that so far, it doesn't seem able to sort by track number, whether I'm browsing through folders or actually going through the artist-album-song style of browsing, it only lists alphabetically. This is fine for the most part, most of my music is already numbered in the file names, but on a few albums it's not, just with the track number in the tags, and I'm not sure if the X5 can't see it, or if it can and just doesn't sort by track number. Anyone have a solution to this? (apologies if it's been mentioned before)

I too have never been able to get the X5 to read the tracks from an album in numerical order, only alphabetically. I have tried FW 2.0 as well as the beta FWs 2.02 and 2.03.
Regardless of whether I open an album in Artist view or Album view, the tracks are always alphabetical.

And before someone says there is a tagging problem in my files, the exact same files have no problem being read in track number order on myriad devices from Samsung & Sony Android phones, to the iPad mini and Air to the iPod classic as well as on my Sonos home system.

I do love the sound of the X5 so I have been hoping Fiio can get their act together and correct this major flaw in its UI that pretty much every DAP has been able to handle for well over 10 years.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #10,670 of 19,652
Try using a tool like MP3Tag, you can use it to re-name your files using tag data, so I have mine set to pull the tag info and rename it as

%disc number%-%Track number% %Title%,

you can also use it to set your folder structure, so

/%Artist%/%Album%/%disc number%-%Track number% %Title%

that allows me to view albums in track order on the X5.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #10,671 of 19,652
I do love the sound of the X5 so I have been hoping Fiio can get their act together and correct this major flaw in its UI that pretty much every DAP has been able to handle for well over 10 years.

As do I. So far my wishlist for the firmware is the track number sorting, and an option to make it harder to accidentally unlock the device. I've had to keep the X5 in my pocket with the screen facing away from me as I work, otherwise music changes or pauses on me at least once every hour, and even with the screen facing away it still happened once or twice today. Perhaps an option in the settings to require pressing the power button and turning the wheel a full rotation to unlock the device? Or a button combination?

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #10,672 of 19,652
I too have never been able to get the X5 to read the tracks from an album in numerical order, only alphabetically. I have tried FW 2.0 as well as the beta FWs 2.02 and 2.03.
Regardless of whether I open an album in Artist view or Album view, the tracks are always alphabetical.

And before someone says there is a tagging problem in my files, the exact same files have no problem being read in track number order on myriad devices from Samsung & Sony Android phones, to the iPad mini and Air to the iPod classic as well as on my Sonos home system.

That's strange. I highlight the songs from iTunes I want to copy and drag them to the appropriate folder. The X5 plays and lists my songs in all category views according to track number. All my HD TRACKS purchases also play in order. Also tagging with Max for OSX (not my favorite) there are no issues with song order.

I wonder what's going on as I've heard this reported from few people. It would be nice if we could peg the differences.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #10,673 of 19,652
That's strange. I highlight the songs from iTunes I want to copy and drag them to the appropriate folder. The X5 plays and lists my songs in all category views according to track number. All my HD TRACKS purchases also play in order. Also tagging with Max for OSX (not my favorite) there are no issues with song order.

I wonder what's going on as I've heard this reported from few people. It would be nice if we could peg the differences.

If your files all have numbers representing track number at the start of their name, it's only doing it alphabetically. If your X5 is actually displaying song title and not file name, and sorting by track number, please share your secrets!

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #10,674 of 19,652
If your files all have numbers representing track number at the start of their name, it's only doing it alphabetically. If your X5 is actually displaying song title and not file name, and sorting by track number, please share your secrets!

Yeah, you're right. My files are all named with the album and track number preceding the song, ergo alphabetical.

With FW 2.02 it does list all my songs in the new Play All by Artist subcategory appropriately (in order) for each album, one album after the other. Have you tried this feature in 2.02b? If it works for you then there's hope that Fiio can work out this sorting issue.

In 2.03b it simply lists songs alphabetically in the Play All by Artist subcategory and I feel this a regression from 2.02b. Really hoping Fiio rolls back to the behaviour in 2.02b.

Beta FW should be discussed in the beta threads, but I'm curious if you find 2.02b works for you as I described.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #10,675 of 19,652
Sorry in advance if this has been discussed to death..thoroughly enjoying the x5, except for one issue. When the x5 is in lock screen 1, a long press of the centre button springs it in to life. Not a problem until I put it in my pocket and it presses against my leg skipping tracks..is there anyway to stop this happening (APART from not putting it in my pocket :D ) ?

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #10,678 of 19,652
2.02, for me, does list the ALL Songs for an artist by album but, again, alphabetically and not by track number. All songs in 2.03 simply groups the entire collection of songs by the artist in one big alphabetical listing. In short, it is clear that the X5 is definitely not reading the track number tags at all. I certainly don't plan to rename my 35,000 tracks to include track numbers in their title - especially as no other device or player that I have used for well over 10 years, and I have used many, has ever had a problem reading track number MP3 tags.

I really do hope Fiio can fix what should be a very simple fix as it is a major stumbling block.

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #10,679 of 19,652
As do I. So far my wishlist for the firmware is the track number sorting, and an option to make it harder to accidentally unlock the device. I've had to keep the X5 in my pocket with the screen facing away from me as I work, otherwise music changes or pauses on me at least once every hour, and even with the screen facing away it still happened once or twice today. Perhaps an option in the settings to require pressing the power button and turning the wheel a full rotation to unlock the device? Or a button combination?

This is because holding the center button wakes the thing up (not listed as a feature and Fiio will hopefully fix this). I know this is not ideal, but until it is fixed an HS9 would stop this from happening. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #10,680 of 19,652

This is because holding the center button wakes the thing up (not listed as a feature and Fiio will hopefully fix this). I know this is not ideal, but until it is fixed an HS9 would stop this from happening. 

The HS9 helps a lot, but the cover is flexible enough to allow the button to be pushed.
We are promised more options - I would like to see an option for just the power button as it is the hardest to press by accident. I have often found myself skipping tracks whilst taking the X5/HS9 out of my pocket, because I've inadvertently gripped it by the volume buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back