The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #10,441 of 19,652
  Also anyone who wants to use two SD to Micro SD card converters like this I am not sure if the player will support it currently (unless someone has had success using 2 & can share the same) :

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U5wJfyhc33V

I tried using mine in the Card slot 2 it dosen't work, it works only in TF card slot 1. So I don't know if 2 card converters will work simultaneously. I use 128 GB SD card with SD to MSD adapter in slot 1, 64 gb MSD card in slot 2 & 64 GB MSD card with Meenova OTG adapter in the USB slot.

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

Why is that? I wonder why slot 2 doesn't work with that adapter...

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #10,443 of 19,652
  Another odd thing is happening concerning cover art on one album on my X5:

I am playing Ship Arriving too Late To Save a Drowning Witch by Frank Zappa.  All of the songs are FLAC Level 5 and have artwork embedded into the file.  This is consistent with every other song in my library.  For this particular album, however, the album art does not show up when I'm playing the songs on the X5.  I get a black screen where the art should be.  There are no issues with these files when I play them back on my computer or Squeezebox and I tried deleting the artwork and re-embedding it.  Nothing.

This is the only album out of several thousand in which I have noticed this issue.  I am currently using FW 2.02beta, but the same problem occured on FW 2.0.

Anybody else experience something like this?

Just a wild shot, but could it be that the path to the cover art is too long for the X5? It's quite a long album name.
The other thing to try would be to replace the album art with one that you know works in another file and try the Zappa cover in another album.
This should isolate whether it is the album art or the filename that is causing the X5 a problem.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #10,444 of 19,652
don't have a lot of experience with players like thisQuote:
Why?!
eek.gif

Oridon't have a lot of experience with players like thisginally Posted by smithamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's some sort of kill switch they have put in to stop large currents from ruining the circuit/amp. Not sure why it happens but mine has refused to turn on a few times and it is really bugging me as I need a toothpick to rest it on the top, seriously considering returning it... Such a shame.

Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with players like this. Have I done any irreperable harm to the unit by playing it like this? I've only had it a couple days. Should I just buy the Fiio E12 if I find myself wanting more volume?

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #10,445 of 19,652
So, I got the Vorzüge Pure ii, and quite impressed with it.  What I like about it is that you don't lose signal integrity with it.  I tried it with X5, keeps the characteristics intact with much more refined sound.  I like to pair the Vorz with the X5 because to me X5 puts out lots of details, and I think Vorz refines it for better defintion.  The Vorz don't mind other DAPs either, as it played well with anything I fed it.  With the Vorz, I found out that the DX90 amp section wasn't that great as the sound improved out of LO.  I personally think the X5 amp section is better than the DX90 amp section.

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #10,446 of 19,652
Sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with players like this. Have I done any irreperable harm to the unit by playing it like this? I've only had it a couple days. Should I just buy the Fiio E12 if I find myself wanting more volume?

Worried about your ears man.
The hd598 are only 50 oHm so full volume should be pretty loud (thinking long term damage to the ears). Hopefully you were at least listening on low gain.

I don't think you would have damaged the X5. Sometimes electronics wig out and as mentioned before it may have been a protection circuit or just an odd event. However if it keeps happening on a regular basis I would contact Fiio or your retailer.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #10,447 of 19,652
I purchase the E12 to use with my X5 and I absolutely love it! Hands down the best I've ever heard. IMHO. I use it to drive my AT-M50x cans and my Yamaha EPH 100 ' s which have such a beautiful sound I listen to the more than the M50x. Plenty of power with the e12. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #10,448 of 19,652
Just reporting on my new Sandisk 128gb mSD card with the X5.

Formatted with the X5, all files loaded no problem and the X5 plays all my music files without a hitch. Updated to beta FW 2.02 with all the music folders on the card with no problem.

The card works fine and I'm quite happy.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #10,449 of 19,652
 I got a new question for you guys. Company Lexar has announced 512GB CF card few weeks ago. Do you think there's any way to use CF card with Fiio X5?? 
I think there is an adapter but not sure if X5 can handle a CF card...

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #10,450 of 19,652
  So, I got the Vorzüge Pure ii, and quite impressed with it.  What I like about it is that you don't lose signal integrity with it.  I tried it with X5, keeps the characteristics intact with much more refined sound.  I like to pair the Vorz with the X5 because to me X5 puts out lots of details, and I think Vorz refines it for better defintion.  The Vorz don't mind other DAPs either, as it played well with anything I fed it.  With the Vorz, I found out that the DX90 amp section wasn't that great as the sound improved out of LO.  I personally think the X5 amp section is better than the DX90 amp section.

Thanks for sharing. What cable do you use to connect the X5 and Vorz?

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #10,451 of 19,652
  Also anyone who wants to use two SD to Micro SD card converters like this I am not sure if the player will support it currently (unless someone has had success using 2 & can share the same) :

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U5wJfyhc33V

I tried using mine in the Card slot 2 it dosen't work, it works only in TF card slot 1. So I don't know if 2 card converters will work simultaneously. I use 128 GB SD card with SD to MSD adapter in slot 1, 64 gb MSD card in slot 2 & 64 GB MSD card with Meenova OTG adapter in the USB slot.

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

So you have quite a bit of stuff hanging out of your player then!! :wink:

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #10,452 of 19,652
  Thanks for sharing. What cable do you use to connect the X5 and Vorz?

I think the stock amp is better on the X5, but possibly the LO might be better on the DX90.  I have to do extended comparison to be sure.  My Vorz pure ii came with shielded ofc cable.  I usually don't believe in cables, but for portables with minute impedance, it can better when your gear starts to get very precise, and you need to start squeezing out as much precise sound as possible.  But, headphones and amp comes after as for DACs the differences are subtle, but it is there as X5 and DX90 have different sounds out of their LOs.  

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #10,453 of 19,652
Worried about your ears man.
The hd598 are only 50 oHm so full volume should be pretty loud (thinking long term damage to the ears). Hopefully you were at least listening on low gain.

I don't think you would have damaged the X5. Sometimes electronics wig out and as mentioned before it may have been a protection circuit or just an odd event. However if it keeps happening on a regular basis I would contact Fiio or your retailer.

It was on low gain. On high gain at full volume it was definitely far too loud. But I'm mostly just talking about quieter songs anyway, I never was listening to anything remotely "loud" when I was at full volume so my ears are fine. I was mostly just testing the amp on it anyway. I know there are other articles talking about high gain vs low gain but could you briefly tell me which would be "better" for headphones like mine? Thanks!

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #10,454 of 19,652
  I think the stock amp is better on the X5, but possibly the LO might be better on the DX90.  I have to do extended comparison to be sure.  My Vorz pure ii came with shielded ofc cable.  I usually don't believe in cables, but for portables with minute impedance, it can better when your gear starts to get very precise, and you need to start squeezing out as much precise sound as possible.  But, headphones and amp comes after as for DACs the differences are subtle, but it is there as X5 and DX90 have different sounds out of their LOs.

Thanks for the info

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #10,455 of 19,652
I meant. Headphones come first, then the amp, then the DAC.  In order of importance.  Cable comes last.  Cable comes after you have all quality in the the setup and I would say pertent for low impedance/highly sensitive iem setups.  Of course one of the biggest difference ignoring the hardware that makes night and day difference is the recording.  Bad recording will sound bad on the best setup.  

After extended comparisons, I say LO of X5 and DX90 are different.  DX90 sounds bolder, but X5 not as bold with more subtle details.  But, one thing for sure Vorz brings out the best of both LOs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back