The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #10,413 of 19,652
  That's weird... but it's good to find that 128GB SSD works with X5. 

Ok I now have the PNY Turbo 256 gb flash drive connected to my X5 with the OTG cable provided with the X5 and I am happy to report that the drive is recognized and music was found and is playing properly.

It appears that the 256 PNY turbo is a good fit.

I hope that helps some people on the fence about picking one of them up.

I won't have alot of time with it, so I won't be able to run any battery tests but with my experience with the meenova device there wasn't any significant battery drain from using it.

Thanks
Mike 

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #10,414 of 19,652
With the SSDs (and any OTG storage connected to the X5 for that matter) it's not a matter of power draw, but of the particular controller chip used in the SSD. Unfortunately there's no rhyme nor rhythm to the controllers used by brands on their hard disks and we can't recommend any particular brand for surefire compatibility across their full range of products. You may shop for those particular products with which people here have had success with. Failing that, I do not recommend buying a USB storage product with the sole intent of using it with the X5 as it's hard to tell whether they will work properly together. Unfortunately this is a deficiency in the USB controller used in the X5 (although future firmware updates may improve compatibility)
redface.gif

Thanks for this explanation.
Do you know whether there are plans for these firmware updates ?

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #10,415 of 19,652
MP3 files will sound great if they are well mastered and not heavily compressed (try to stick with quality 256kbps or higher), if not the X5 will reveal the lower quality and you probably won't like it. The decoders on the X5 are quite good for mp3, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, etc,.

I feel the DAC (and its implementation) is much better than what you'll find on a phone and it's super clean and detailed for a portable. The DACs in mobile phones flatten all the details together for me, and sound veiled and compressed.

The amp and HO will also be a large improvement with bigger soundstage and improved dynamics. The X5 has a power output of >255mW @32oHm which is a lot more (~4x) than mobile phones. You should hear more punch and liveliness from the X5. A bigger improvement yet is using the Line Out (>1.5Vrms) to a quality portable amp.

The question is, do you have headphones that can show you the differences? Less revealing headphones mask a lot of the players capabilities. Music file quality first, then headphones, then player.

thanks!!

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #10,416 of 19,652
  Ok I now have the PNY Turbo 256 gb flash drive connected to my X5 with the OTG cable provided with the X5 and I am happy to report that the drive is recognized and music was found and is playing properly.

It appears that the 256 PNY turbo is a good fit.

I hope that helps some people on the fence about picking one of them up.

I won't have alot of time with it, so I won't be able to run any battery tests but with my experience with the meenova device there wasn't any significant battery drain from using it.

Thanks
Mike 

yay! I'm going to pick this usb flash drive with two 256GB SD cards from PNY as well. I've been using PNY SD cards. They're cheaper than any other manufacturer and very stable. 
I'm going to make a 750GB X5. This will be exciting! 
Thanks for your report! 

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #10,417 of 19,652

yay! I'm going to pick this usb flash drive with two 256GB SD cards from PNY as well. I've been using PNY SD cards. They're cheaper than any other manufacturers and very stable. 
Thanks for your report! 

What kind of micro sd converter are you going to use?   Have you tested it yet?

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #10,419 of 19,652

yay! I'm going to pick this usb flash drive with two 256GB SD cards from PNY as well. I've been using PNY SD cards. They're cheaper than any other manufacturer and very stable. 
Thanks for your report! 

Yes, but 750 GB cut in three parts.
It becomes a real problem for the management of the music collection and its updates...

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #10,421 of 19,652
  Yes, but 750 GB cut in three parts.
It becomes a real problem for the management of the music collection and its updates...

I don't think so. I will put music to those cards via computer. Each of them will contain different set of genres. 

Here's a link for adapter: 

http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.U5s8nfldVsE

get two of them and two of PNY 256GB SD cards: 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016078-REG/pny_technologies_p_sdx256u1h_ge_256gb_elite_sdxc_uhs_1_card.html

If all of these can work in a stable condition, I'd say this is the largest capacity DAP ever. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #10,422 of 19,652
Another odd thing is happening concerning cover art on one album on my X5:

I am playing Ship Arriving too Late To Save a Drowning Witch by Frank Zappa.  All of the songs are FLAC Level 5 and have artwork embedded into the file.  This is consistent with every other song in my library.  For this particular album, however, the album art does not show up when I'm playing the songs on the X5.  I get a black screen where the art should be.  There are no issues with these files when I play them back on my computer or Squeezebox and I tried deleting the artwork and re-embedding it.  Nothing.

This is the only album out of several thousand in which I have noticed this issue.  I am currently using FW 2.02beta, but the same problem occured on FW 2.0.

Anybody else experience something like this?

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #10,423 of 19,652
what the hell is this?? I've just spent £300 on something that won't even turn on when i want to...
More than once I've come back to my x5 to listen to some music, and all i find is that it won't turn on at all and its just sat there feeling rather warm....

`what is happening?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back