The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #10,366 of 19,652
  I might as well ask now:  Can an SSD work?  I would think they would use even less power since they have no moving parts and are very durable.

I have had a bad expérience with SSD . I have tried to connect a Crucial M500 SSD (which is 480 GB), in a USB3 case. I had formatted the SSD in fat32 in my desktop. As soon as I connect the SSD to the X5 through the OTG, the X5 repeatedly says "USB storage removed", while the SSD lights blink a few seconds. And no files are detected...

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #10,367 of 19,652
I might as well ask now:  Can an SSD work?  I would think they would use even less power since they have no moving parts and are very durable.
...Whereas I've had success with a Sandisk Ultra 128GB drive...

Wonder if the power draw of the 480GB is too much, whereas, the 128GB drive, with less chips to power, is acceptable?!?

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #10,368 of 19,652
...Whereas I've had success with a Sandisk Ultra 128GB drive...

Wonder if the power draw of the 480GB is too much, whereas, the 128GB drive, with less chips to power, is acceptable?!?

I don't know the answer. As far as I am concerned, I didn't want to test a 128 GB SSD, since this capacity I already have (twice) with the microsd slots. I wanted much more. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #10,371 of 19,652
Anyone else experimenting some popping with higher sample rate files? I've got Elton John in 48 kHz 16bit and it pops randomly throughout the album.

Haven't experienced this with any other album yet.

Thoughts?

48kHz files are fine on mine.
48s are often ripped from DVDs though, and less securely than an EAC CD rip. Have you verified that the pops aren't in the actual file on other hardware?

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #10,372 of 19,652
Solid State Drive question,

I tried to hookup a solid state drive last night to my X5.   I used the inatek drive enclosure that was posted by Duncan that worked, I also used the same solid state drive he used except I used the 256 gb model as opposed to the 128 gb model.   Both of the drives according to the sandisk website have the same power requirements.  

I formatted the ssd as Fat32 and copied a music folder onto it.  Hooked up the drive using the cable that came with the enclosure and the OTG cable that came with the X5.    The drive powered on when I started the X5, however when I navigated to the OTG drive I was told that no music files exist.

Did I do something wrong?  I am using firmware 2.0 in my X5.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give

Mike 

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #10,373 of 19,652

From what I read in this forum, the popping on higher sample rate files may be caused by the following:
  1. cover art or other non-audio files in the same folder as the album (try removing them)
  2. microsd card formatting issue (format the microsd card with the X5 using the settings menu)
  3. file tagging issue
    1. weird characters in tags (clean-up your tags)
    2. duplicate album art (remove any unneeded art, use the opportunity to make sure the album art is not too large)
  4. microsd card issue (try using a different card) *this case is less likely in your case since it seem to be consistently the same album

Does the Fiio X5 display cover art only when its embedded into the file?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #10,375 of 19,652
It looks like after a few months of auditioning a few different IEMs I have finally found a good match to go with the X5. I am able to listen with the EQ set to normal with all files.

I tried the Cardas EM5813, Westone W50, & Grado GR10. In the end I have settled on the Westone W4r's (for now at least).

Here are the pro's & con's to each in my experience:

EM5813 - great low end, but very forward mid & rolled off high - in the end I couldn't get used to that dark signature
W50 - good, albeit slightly exaggerated low end, more balanced mid than Cardas, with rolled of high - too "muddy" sounding to me
GR10 - good low end when source material demands it, good balanced mid, great highs (mids/highs slightly forward to make the sound much brighter than the others)

I almost stopped at the Grados because the sound was much more balanced than the others, but had the W4r's recommended to me. Once I tried them the recommendation was spot on. Very nicely balanced across the spectrum, with just a bit of warmth to keep them from sounding tinny.

I'm guessing if I went to the 846's or W60's the sound would be even better dialed in to what I like (based on what I've read), but I highly doubt they will sound twice as good for twice the price. I'm trying to find a retailer near here with them so I can test them to make an informed decision.

Your mileage may vary on the remarks above, that's just what the ears on my big head heard.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #10,378 of 19,652
  Do you guys think its better to just have all the cover art embedded and remove the folders containing images?

No I prefer it this way.
  A separate picture file in the folder so it can be also be displayed when scrolling through my albums.
  When a music file contains embedded cover art, this will override the separate cover art file in the album folder.

This is implemented that way in all my other audio equipment.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #10,379 of 19,652
  Does the Fiio X5 display cover art only when its embedded into the file?

At the moment, yes. But there's a popular/confirmed bugzilla for supporting folder.jpg etc.

Do you guys think its better to just have all the cover art embedded and remove the folders containing images?

No I prefer it this way.
  A separate picture file in the folder so it can be also be displayed when scrolling through my albums.
  When a music file contains embedded cover art, this will override the separate cover art file in the album folder.

This is implemented that way in all my other audio equipment.

Support for external album art is promised in a future firmware update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back