The Fiio X5 Thread
May 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #9,871 of 19,652

The problem with quick A/B comparison - especially if you don't know the headphones well - often lies in:
 - improper volume matching
 - unfamiliarity with a headphones signature.

If you don't volume match both headphones - the one that is slightly louder will often be perceived as better.  So in this case - if you have the buds volume louder than the fsp - they may sound similar to you, when in fact there is a world of difference.  The only way to accurately match is with an SPL meter and test tones.

And secondly, if you rapidly A/B two headphones without spending enough time with each, it's often very hard to really understand SQ differences.  Your brain needs time to 'acclimatise' to the new sound signature.  If you are used to the buds, but not used to the fsp, then switch rapidly between both - you may find you prefer the SQ of the buds as that is what you're used to.  My advice - wear the fsp for a couple of days - then switch to the buds, and see if you then notice a bigger difference.  Often it's more apparent once our ears/brain have adjusted.

Hope this helps.

This is sound advice (!)
Seriously, once you become acclimatised to a superior product, there is no way to go back.
It's a bit like watching SD TV. When it was the best we could get it was great, but after watching HD, it looks shi rubbish and there is no way to go back. Cream floats to the top.

May 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #9,872 of 19,652
This topic has been probably already discussed but I didn't find any accurate answer. What do you guys think about pairing my HD600 with a Fiio X5. And how much percentage of the potential of the HD600 would I be using while driving it with the X5. Does it worth it ? Thank you. (I also asked the question on the HD600 topic.)

May 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #9,875 of 19,652
This topic has been probably already discussed but I didn't find any accurate answer. What do you guys think about pairing my HD600 with a Fiio X5. And how much percentage of the potential of the HD600 would I be using while driving it with the X5. Does it worth it ? Thank you. (I also asked the question on the HD600 topic.)

I answered you on the HD600 thread - but here it is again .....

You'll get all sorts of answers to this one 
wink.gif

From my personal testing when I had the tour unit - I loved both my HD600 and DT880 (250 ohm) with the X5 when I had it (I used high gain).  I guess the difference between myself and some others is that when comparing, I carefully matched volumes with an SPL meter and a test tone.  I noticed no significant loss in dynamics.

I am purchasing the X5 - should be here in a couple of weeks.  I ordered it mostly because of it's versatility with both IEMs and full range cans.  It would probably struggle with anything very high impedance or very low sensitivity - but IMO it's great with the HD600.  They're not that hard to drive anyway. 

May 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #9,876 of 19,652
  I have considered many of the useful suggestions re the stuttering problem.  the files in question are all 192 khz or 96 khz file purchased form HD Tracks.  I have removed all album art from the folders, tried playing with a 5 V DC source connected, checked the SD cards and run a disk test - clean, no errors.  I am still encountering this problem on a more or less random basis several tracks will play fine, then I will get an episode that lasts for several seconds.  Switch albums and the problem recurs after a few minutes and then will play without any issues for an entire track. An interesting factor is that this is a new problem; I did not have this issue with these files when I first received my X5 - It appears to have appeared/gotten worse over time, so perhaps it really is a hardware component failure of some kind?  It's just odd that it would only affect playback of these high res files.

In the past few days, my X5 is now exhibiting the "stuttering" problem - only 192 or 96 khz files, and these were files it was able to play only a week ago. What is the cause, and - better still - what is the solution? I hope this isn't going to turn into a chronic problem.

May 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #9,877 of 19,652
In the past few days, my X5 is now exhibiting the "stuttering" problem - only 192 or 96 khz files, and these were files it was able to play only a week ago. What is the cause, and - better still - what is the solution? I hope this isn't going to turn into a chronic problem.

Read this post link. Read backwards from there to see the full story. :wink:

May 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #9,879 of 19,652
So, I have to reformat the TF card again, and move nearly 60 gig of music back onto the card?! I had hoped this kind of BS was not going to be an issue with the X5. Anyone want to buy a lightly used X5?

From the DAPs I have tried, the TF card would not have even worked in most other high-end DAPs (until it was correctly formatted) so you might struggle to find one out there that doesn't require the same formatting process as the X5 (that said, I haven't tried the DX90 so not sure how it works with TF cards)

May 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #9,880 of 19,652
From the DAPs I have tried, the TF card would not have even worked in most other high-end DAPs (until it was correctly formatted) so you might struggle to find one out there that doesn't require the same formatting process as the X5 (that said, I haven't tried the DX90 so not sure how it works with TF cards)

The card was properly formatted in the FiiO device before loading with music. Ggrrrrr. I'm not going to fight with this thing, I'd rather just sell it and wash my hands of it.

May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #9,881 of 19,652
The card was properly formatted in the FiiO device before loading with music. Ggrrrrr. I'm not going to fight with this thing, I'd rather just sell it and wash my hands of it.

You pop in asking for advice and some was given rather quickly based on what details you provided. Then you blow a gasket and 'wash your hands of it' over a relatively minor task. Many, many users are enjoying the X5 problem free from day one, and most (if not all) problems have been user error or card related. Also, a lot of people would agree its worth it.

Whatever
, you have your gauge for tolerances and that's fine. Good luck.

Edit: Apologies, bad day. Hope you find what suits you.

May 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #9,882 of 19,652

This would be me, if things weren't going well. You have, after all, formatted the cards with the X5 itself. I feel for you! If you wanted to stick it out, victory will be sweet, but it's a shame anyone has to go through this. Flip side though is James having pointed out that we don't see card readers on the Apple gear - for a reason.

Mike

May 28, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #9,884 of 19,652
Just a general comment that may have some merit.  I wonder what the correlation would be between the number of people previously owning and using "audiophile DAPs", then going to the X5 and having reasonably hassle free experiences.

VS the people coming from more mainstream DAPs / sources (eg Apple etc) who maybe are experiencing more issues.

If there is a correlation - it may point to the fact that most who've come from DAPs like the Studio Anniversary V3 are very aware of having to have meticulously tagged libraries with no extraneous entries or fields.  So generally our libraries may not have the same issues being experienced by others?

Would be interesting to know.  Even with majority of my music being albums ripped by me (around 300-350), and the balance having tags from HD Tracks, iTunes, Bandcamp, and several other digital sources - I was astounded at the number of duplicate type tags there were before I tidied my database.

It just seems strange that several of us who've had to tidy our libraries up to work with other devices are also experiencing no real issues with scanning / performance.

Just a thought - not sure if true or relevant ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back