The Fiio X5 Thread
May 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #9,841 of 19,652
He probably meant he does not like FiiO as a company but likes their products because of them being great.

Yeah I got to admit at first it sounded contradictory.

Exactly that. I should have been more clear.

May 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #9,842 of 19,652
Search my posts in this thread, I have an enclosure that works - in actual fact, link here to the enclosure...

Hope it helps,

Thanks for your help.
This is the enclosure I have bought (I had seen it in a the post on the forum).
It doesn't work with my SSD Crucial M500 formated in fat 32 (X5 saying :"usb storage removed").
i do'nt know what to do..

May 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #9,843 of 19,652
blink.gif
Don't love Fiio, but have several Fiio devices that are great?????? I'm confused
blink.gif

I don't love Fiio as a business, or at least how they conduct their business. I would do things differently, but hey, what do I know? That doesn't mean I can't love their products, which I do. And I'm pretty sure that the guys @Fiio are doing the best they can, so kudos for the effort. The world knows that more Fiios are needed, and less Microsofts or other eat-it-all monsters.

May 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #9,844 of 19,652
  yes i'm beginning to think that this card may be fake (even if it's a branded samsung one with a genuine sticker..), i'll test it with H2testw and see how it goes. 

As far as I knew, only Sandisk has 128GB mSD cards. If Samsung really sells 128GB mSD cards, they would show them on their web site, wouldn't they?: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage-accessories/sd-cards

Looks fake to me...

May 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #9,845 of 19,652

Thanks for the tip, it definitely helped lowering vol on X5 & raising it on speaker. Not really sure why anyone would want a separate headphone amp considering the Amp on the X5 seems fairly powerful.

Anyone with hard-to-drive HP, such as any 250 Ohms+, would like the external headphone amp. Senns 650 are really not up to their best when driven directly from the HP out.

May 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #9,846 of 19,652
  As far as I knew, only Sandisk has 128GB mSD cards. If Samsung really sells 128GB mSD cards, they would show them on their web site, wouldn't they?: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage-accessories/sd-cards

Looks fake to me...

But there is a "genuine" branded (badly photoshopped) Samsung 128GB MicroSD here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Essential-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00H0J8PTW

Read the reviews to see how genuine it is....

May 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #9,847 of 19,652
  Thanks for your help.
It doesn't work with my SSD Crucial M500 formated in fat 32 (X5 saying :"usb storage removed").

Duncan's SSD has one of the lowest power requirements available.
The X5 is only capable of providing 450mA via USB OTG

May 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #9,848 of 19,652
I received my X5 sometime early April. I use it daily, averaging around 2hrs+ each day (commute to & back from work/golf). So far, I've yet to experience any crashes or skipping.

Am using 2 x 64GB Sandisk cards. Unpacked them, formatted to FAT32 using SD Formatter 4, then formatted again in the X5 (a bit of overkill, I know ... But always better safe than sorry).

Copied my FLACs on to the cards (24/96 max). Card 1 90% full, card 2 65%.

All files have proper tags (done on mp3tag) & embedded album art (all same size 500 x 500 JPGs). If the rips are not my own, I always delete all tags & album art, then re-tag and re-embed art using mp3tag.

Usage: HO when on the move, LO when home.

Result: almost 2 full months without crashes or skipping.

Note: I'm still on firmware 1.20. Am tempted to upgrade to 2.0, but hesitant due to reports of issues on this thread. I can't properly tell if these issues are firmware related, or something else (micro SD, file tags, album art, problems during ripping process, etc.). On the safe side, I'm sticking to 1.20 until flawless firmware is released .... although I'm still tempted by the possibility of better SQ with the 2.0.

I hope sharing my experience with the X5 will help out some other owner who may be facing problems with their unit. BTW, I'm not a FiiO fanboy. The only other FiiO products I own are the E11 (paired with my iPod 5gen) and RC SE1 cable (not impressed). The X5 is my first HD DAP.

2 questions:
1 - Anyone here on F2.0 with similar usage as me ... can you share your experience, especially if you're having a smooth operation without crashes and/or skipping? I'd really like to upgrade to 2.0, if possible.

2 - Can I downgrade FW back to 1.20 from 2.0? If so, how?

- Cheers -

I'm on F2.0 with pretty much the same experience as you. Just a few non-important bugs. Not a single freeze, and everything plays OK once I removed/fixed just a couple of bad MP3s.
Yes, you can downgrade as easily as you upgraded to F2.0.

May 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9,849 of 19,652
Thanks for your help.
Disable resume play, power off, and back on, and see what happens.

May 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9,850 of 19,652
  But there is a "genuine" branded (badly photoshopped) Samsung 128GB MicroSD here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Essential-Memory-without-Adapter/dp/B00H0J8PTW

Read the reviews to see how genuine it is....

Well, I meant only on Samsung's own web site. Amazon and eBay are known for selling fakes.
If Samsung lacks a 128GB mSD on their web site, chances are they do not manufacture or sell them...

May 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #9,851 of 19,652
  Well, I meant only on Samsung's own web site. Amazon and eBay are known for selling fakes.
If Samsung lacks a 128GB mSD on their web site, chances are they do not manufacture or sell them...

Sorry - you weren't meant to take that seriously. I was just amused/amazed at how bad the forged branding on this item was, and yet 3 people still bought it.

May 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #9,853 of 19,652
2 questions:
1 - Anyone here on F2.0 with similar usage as me ... can you share your experience, especially if you're having a smooth operation without crashes and/or skipping? I'd really like to upgrade to 2.0, if possible.

2 - Can I downgrade FW back to 1.20 from 2.0? If so, how?

- Cheers -

1. the only 2 crashes I've had were on firmware 1.2. I've been using 2.0 since its release and I haven't had a single crash. It is very stable and it is much more responsive(for example the delay you might experience when skipping tracks(0.5-1 for next song, 2-3 seconds for any other song)  is virtually eliminated and everything runs smoothly and seamlessly. I wouldn't say I find much difference between the sound signatures of 1.2 and 2.0, but I definitely find 2.0 to be more stable and smoother performing.

2. Yes, you can - the same way you upgrade to 2.0 - put the respective firmware on your micro sd card 1 and perform the upgrade as lined out in the manual - it doesn't matter which version of the firmware it is - it simply installs the version that's on your card, no matter if it will be upgrade or downgrade.

May 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #9,854 of 19,652
  Since most of the talk about X5 accessories been focused around HS6 stacking kit, I figured to give a quick summary and additional detailed pictures of the rest of the accessories.  All should be available from http://www.miccastore.com/ any day now.

HS8 Silicone rubber case has the same design and quality of material as the included case, but now you have a selection of 4 additional colors, with blue one shown below.

HS11 Back Cover is a minimalistic protection for those who don't want to hide a beauty of brushed metal finish and just want to protect the back and the sides of X5 from scratches. It wraps securely around the player, has clear light tinted sides, matte back finish, and a perfect cutout for volume up/down buttons. This back cover leaves top and bottom of X5 open for a full access to all the ports and power button.

HS9 Leather case has a synthetic smooth finish leather on outside and soft micro-fiber material on inside which protects X5 screen, wheel, and top buttons from scratches. Actually it looks like X5 holder inside of this leather case is a Back Cover securely attached to the case. It has a darker tint than stand alone back cover to match the darker color of the "leather". The cover of the leather case wraps around and closes securely with a magnetic strip. One unique feature of this case is an elongated bump inside the case which aligns with a volume buttons opening of the holder. So while being closed, you can push on outside of the case to change the volume or perform functions assigned to volume buttons.

HS7 Carry case is a dual-layer hard protective case with a double zipper and attached carabiner. The hard shell of the case feels secure enough to be placed in a backpack or carry bag or luggage when you are traveling. Also, it will protect your X5 if you want to clip the case to your backpack. Each inner side of the case has a net-woven pocket, and one additional smaller pocket for your SD cards on the right side. The pockets are generous enough to store X5 with a case, and even has a little bit of room for a short cable. This case makes a perfect companion to carry X5 together with a portable AMP like E12, in E18 (pictured).

Just checked to see and those are on-line already:

HS7: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs7-hard-carrying-case-p-121.html

HS11: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs11-clear-back-cover-for-fiio-p-123.html

HS9: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs9-leather-case-for-fiio-p-122.html

HS8: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs8-silicone-case-for-fiio-p-124.html

HS6: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs6-stacking-kit-for-fiio-p-119.html

May 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #9,855 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back