The Fiio X5 Thread
May 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #9,691 of 19,652
  It appears to have appeared/gotten worse over time, so perhaps it really is a hardware component failure of some kind?  It's just odd that it would only affect playback of these high res files.

I received my X5 just three days ago and it is exhibiting new behavior (i.e. it is doing things it didn't do when I first received it). Every time the X5 powers on, it emits two audible clicks. I have no idea what might be going on except that those noises are new. I'm going to "break in" my X5 over the next week and hope it doesn't break. Fingers crossed! 

Edit: I will attempt to capture the clicks on recording and post them here

May 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #9,692 of 19,652
I think the clicks are relays on the audio jacks. With the X5 powered on and a track queued up, unplug your headphones or line out cable. You should hear the click. Same right after you plug something into either jack. I think the jacks are protected and check for faults (like shorts) on the outputs before connecting the signal.

May 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #9,693 of 19,652
I received my X5 just three days ago and it is exhibiting new behavior (i.e. it is doing things it didn't do when I first received it). Every time the X5 powers on, it emits two audible clicks. I have no idea what might be going on except that those noises are new. I'm going to "break in" my X5 over the next week and hope it doesn't break. Fingers crossed! 

Edit: I will attempt to capture the clicks on recording and post them here

It's the anti-pop relay and it's not new you just did not notice when you initially used your player. All the players I sampled; DX50, DX90 including the X5 have those initial clicks at power on and shutting down. Just ignore there is nothing harmful about them and they are there to avoid loud phone pops. So instead you get gentle clicks. :wink:

May 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #9,695 of 19,652
I have considered many of the useful suggestions re the stuttering problem.  the files in question are all 192 khz or 96 khz file purchased form HD Tracks.  I have removed all album art from the folders, tried playing with a 5 V DC source connected, checked the SD cards and run a disk test - clean, no errors.  I am still encountering this problem on a more or less random basis several tracks will play fine, then I will get an episode that lasts for several seconds.  Switch albums and the problem recurs after a few minutes and then will play without any issues for an entire track. An interesting factor is that this is a new problem; I did not have this issue with these files when I first received my X5 - It appears to have appeared/gotten worse over time, so perhaps it really is a hardware component failure of some kind?  It's just odd that it would only affect playback of these high res files.

It really does sound likely to be a card problem after reading this. Stuttering sounds like the player is having trouble getting the info off of the card fast enough and I know there isn't too much headroom in the RAM to buffer the whole song (James from Fiio has stated this).

All my HD Tracks files play without issue (tags have been good also) and since you have removed the album art that eliminates that. I'm running with a 64gb Sandisk Class10 microSD. Even without actual disk errors among rebuttable manufactures there are batches that don't perform up to spec.

Also, you never mentioned if you formatted the card with the X5. That would be essential in my books as different formatting software has created different results for multiple users (small size allocation units in FAT32 can cause slow read speeds for example). Safest way is to insert the cards and format from the setting menu on the X5, and this has eliminated many issues for a lot of users.

If that fails, seeing as your in Vancouver, I'd guess that you purchased from Headphone Bar. If you did then pay Travis a visit and see what he can do. He may have a different card with some high rez music for you to test. If he doesn't you'll be right there and he may do an exchange or warranty work or a refund. He's very helpful and very good with customer satisfaction so worth a shot. Good luck! :wink:

Edit: I'd like to add that even when formatted with the X5 some people have reported that Windows reports disk errors on the card. Ignore them if you formatted with the X5. And although the X5 can read NTFS don't use it on the X5, ever (you'll have problems for sure).

May 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #9,696 of 19,652
When I first got my X5, right on first release, I had all sorts of problems with it. Turns out I had two deeply dodgy, fake microSD cards. On replacing them, all my problems went away, and I'm loving the X5, UI foibles and all.

Point is, I keep reading of the experiences of others, and an amazing number of them sound like memory card problems.

Just saying...

May 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #9,697 of 19,652
  When I first got my X5, right on first release, I had all sorts of problems with it. Turns out I had two deeply dodgy, fake microSD cards. On replacing them, all my problems went away, and I'm loving the X5, UI foibles and all.

Point is, I keep reading of the experiences of others, and an amazing number of them sound like memory card problems.

Just saying...

Ever since the original Cruzer, all I've ever used is SanDisk. I've never had to deal with memory corruption or with throughput speeds being too slow. I strongly recommend them based on their performance and reliability. I've also heard good things about Lexor but never had the need to use them. They are famous for offering the highest storage capacities at low prices. Their 128GB microSD cards are relatively cheap! 

May 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #9,699 of 19,652
Listening to 24 bit material and so far no skips. We'll see.... Loving Violator 24/196 Depeche mode.

Violator 24/196? From where?

May 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #9,700 of 19,652
Ever since the original Cruzer, all I've ever used is SanDisk. I've never had to deal with memory corruption or with throughput speeds being too slow. I strongly recommend them based on their performance and reliability. I've also heard good things about Lexor but never had the need to use them. They are famous for offering the highest storage capacities at low prices. Their 128GB microSD cards are relatively cheap! 

The best cards are hobbled by improper formatting. The built in X5 format tool prevents this.

May 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #9,701 of 19,652
I'm using Adata sd cards purchased from NCIX: 

ADATA Premier Micro SDXC UHS-1 U1 CLASS10 64GB Memory Card

Premier microSDHC/SDXC UHS-I U1memory cards have higher capacity, but without a higher price, and provide consumers with the faster read speeds of UHS-I U1 specification at the price of a Class 10 card. Sequential reads are up to 50 MB/second, and write speeds reach the UHS-I speed class 1 specification. Random read and write IOPS are 1400 and 100 respectively. They are remarkably suitable for users who enjoy high definition photography and video recording. Running multiple applications simultaneously causes no loss in read/write speed.

I'll try a re-format.  I formatted the cards using Gparted on Linux.

May 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #9,703 of 19,652
I'm using Adata sd cards purchased from NCIX: 

ADATA Premier Micro SDXC UHS-1 U1 CLASS10 64GB Memory Card

Premier microSDHC/SDXC UHS-I U1memory cards have higher capacity, but without a higher price, and provide consumers with the faster read speeds of UHS-I U1 specification at the price of a Class 10 card. Sequential reads are up to 50 MB/second, and write speeds reach the UHS-I speed class 1 specification. Random read and write IOPS are 1400 and 100 respectively. They are remarkably suitable for users who enjoy high definition photography and video recording. Running multiple applications simultaneously causes no loss in read/write speed.

I'll try a re-format.  I formatted the cards using Gparted on Linux.

I'd put money on formatting with the X5 will fix your issues. Insert card in to the X5, go to settings on the X5, choose format from the X5, and voila! If that doesn't work it'll be the card itself. I've been happy with Sandisk in my X5 and in all of my camera gear as well. I like to pay the premium for my peace of mind and reliability.

Edit: Looking on Amazon Adata seems to have a lot of reliability issues. 50/50. Link

May 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #9,704 of 19,652
The X5 would not even play my files until I formatted the 64 GB card with the X5. So far no hiccups. I'm on the 6th song.

Edit: On song 17 and so far no pauses. I am on 1.00 so not sure if that is part of it. But my unit is not exhibiting the issues some of you guys are having. As said above a good chance causing these issues are the SD cards you are using, maybe not using the X5 to format the cards first, tagging issues or corruption in the files themselves, or possibly the X5 unit being faulty even.

May 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #9,705 of 19,652
i just got an x5 and haven't set it up yet.  i have a question about folder structures:  is there a limit to how deep you can go? and does that level have to be uniform?

for example, i'd like:

classical>beethoven>string quartets>string quartet #1>each movement is a file

or

jazz>monk>monk's dream[album]>tracks

so there are 4 levels of folders for beethoven, with the tracks in the lowest level folder.  and there are 3 levels of folder for monk.

so- any technical or practical limit on folder levels?
and do folder levels have to be uniform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back