The Fiio X5 Thread
May 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #9,616 of 19,652

I think that your comment was unnecessary.

While I don't share Muenchener's point of view and am fully happy with my X5 I feel that he wasn't whining but simply answering other people's answers. I feel he was clear that he expressed his point of view and by his standards more information was expected from FiiO.

I see that some users get very passionate about hardware and it's normal, it's Head-Fi after all. I just think that everyone can share its passion while staying civilized and avoiding personal attacks.

I am very happy with my X5, and I don't plan to return it. In fact, I don't want any X5 buyer to return it. That's why I argue about Fiio's mistakes and lack of information and support.
"If you don't like it, return it" is something I really, really don't think it's either fair nor useful for anybody. I want Fiio to solve the bugs in their firmware and to provide information, not that buyers return their X5's because of a simple, avoidable small flaw.

Thanks for understanding that I am not being a Fiio anti-fanboy nor a whiner. I work in consumer electronics retail, and I hate to see small companies being crushed by their own mistakes more times than they are by their competitors.

May 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #9,617 of 19,652

I don't think anyone is asking you to (nor should you) hide your disappointment with the X5's shortcomings.  In fact, if others experience the same or similar things and it helps a potential buyer from making a decision they might regret, then so much the better.  I think the problem, however, is with statements like "not knowing the dirty little secrets of X5's immature firmware".  This implies (whether you meant to or not) that Fiio is trying to hide design flaws or at the very least are afraid if people "find out" the firmware is immature it might hurt their sales.  Regardless this is negative speculation and is completely nonconstructive.  I think if you stick with the facts of your experience, you might find you get more support here.  I hope you don't feel attacked or beat up by this post as that was not my intent.

It was a figure of speech, almost a metaphor. Of course there are not "hidden secrets". I do think, however, that Fiio knows and choses not to disclose its software design flaws. I mean, most companies on earth do that. I believe that being more open about it, and more responsive would go a long way to avoid unnecessary returns or lack of sales.

The firmware is immature, denying that is what's completely nonconstructive. Take a look at bugzilla and tell me that the firmware is OK and final. I don't follow you line of reasoning on this.

I prefer to keep my voice as it is: critic and not as nice as some people would prefer. There are countless people praising the X5. I'd like to focus just on what's wrong and what could be solved to make the X5 better and the future X7 even more so.

I don't feel attacked. On the contrary, I like to be challenged on my posts, so I can learn and maybe realize I am wrong on one or several things I said.

May 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #9,618 of 19,652
  It was a figure of speech, almost a metaphor. Of course there are not "hidden secrets". I do think, however, that Fiio knows and choses not to disclose its software design flaws. I mean, most companies on earth do that. I believe that being more open about it, and more responsive would go a long way to avoid unnecessary returns or lack of sales.

The firmware is immature, denying that is what's completely nonconstructive. Take a look at bugzilla and tell me that the firmware is OK and final. I don't follow you line of reasoning on this.

I prefer to keep my voice as it is: critic and not as nice as some people would prefer. There are countless people praising the X5. I'd like to focus just on what's wrong and what could be solved to make the X5 better and the future X7 even more so.

I don't feel attacked. On the contrary, I like to be challenged on my posts, so I can learn and maybe realize I am wrong on one or several things I said.

You're missing my point.  Of course the firmware is immature and I made no attempt to deny that.  My line of reasoning only makes sense in the context of your entire sentence, which was had the "dirty little secrets" portion.  Whether you feel it's a figure of speech or not, it implies something negative (a deliberate attempt on Fiio's part to hide the shortcomings of their firmware) and makes you seem like you are biased against Fiio because of your experiences with the X5.  I won't post about this again, the only point I was trying to make is if you stick to facts in your criticism and not used loaded expressions like "dirty little secrets" you may get a better response from forum members.  Obviously you can feel free to disagree.

May 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #9,620 of 19,652
It's funny you should say that.  I have just come across my Shure E3C earphones, also purchased about 10 years ago.  They also sound great with the X5 and E12.

Hilarious... Just found my E2Cs after reading your post and looking long and hard. Forgot I even owned a pair. The little black case is perfect for disappearing. Sounds great with X5. I never remember them sounding this good 10 years ago. Was thinking I might add E18 for a bit more juice. But why would I? Gotta learn to appreciate the moment. CONTROL THE GREED! Thanks

May 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #9,621 of 19,652
Hilarious... Just found my E2Cs after reading your post and looking long and hard. Forgot I even owned a pair. The little black case is perfect for disappearing. Sounds great with X5. I never remember them sounding this good 10 years ago. Was thinking I might add E18 for a bit more juice. But why would I? Gotta learn to appreciate the moment. CONTROL THE GREED! Thanks

My E5C's sound great just using the X5 (it must be 5 years or so since I last listened to them)
Just enjoy your long lost earphones and don't even think about an amp for the time being, and I am sure they will give a nice grin with your favourite tunes.

May 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #9,622 of 19,652
  It's funny you should say that.  I have just come across my Shure E3C earphones, also purchased about 10 years ago.  They also sound great with the X5 and E12.

you guys are killing me...  I was looking for another lost item in the house the other day ( Paraglider Altimeter) and found both the E3C

and the E2C...  wondered the same and they do sound great...     might have to give the wife the X3 now... she also has the E3C's... 

May 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #9,624 of 19,652
Since most of the talk about X5 accessories been focused around HS6 stacking kit, I figured to give a quick summary and additional detailed pictures of the rest of the accessories.  All should be available from http://www.miccastore.com/ any day now.

HS8 Silicone rubber case has the same design and quality of material as the included case, but now you have a selection of 4 additional colors, with blue one shown below.

HS11 Back Cover is a minimalistic protection for those who don't want to hide a beauty of brushed metal finish and just want to protect the back and the sides of X5 from scratches. It wraps securely around the player, has clear light tinted sides, matte back finish, and a perfect cutout for volume up/down buttons. This back cover leaves top and bottom of X5 open for a full access to all the ports and power button.

HS9 Leather case has a synthetic smooth finish leather on outside and soft micro-fiber material on inside which protects X5 screen, wheel, and top buttons from scratches. Actually it looks like X5 holder inside of this leather case is a Back Cover securely attached to the case. It has a darker tint than stand alone back cover to match the darker color of the "leather". The cover of the leather case wraps around and closes securely with a magnetic strip. One unique feature of this case is an elongated bump inside the case which aligns with a volume buttons opening of the holder. So while being closed, you can push on outside of the case to change the volume or perform functions assigned to volume buttons.

HS7 Carry case is a dual-layer hard protective case with a double zipper and attached carabiner. The hard shell of the case feels secure enough to be placed in a backpack or carry bag or luggage when you are traveling. Also, it will protect your X5 if you want to clip the case to your backpack. Each inner side of the case has a net-woven pocket, and one additional smaller pocket for your SD cards on the right side. The pockets are generous enough to store X5 with a case, and even has a little bit of room for a short cable. This case makes a perfect companion to carry X5 together with a portable AMP like E12, in E18 (pictured).

May 23, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #9,625 of 19,652
Since most of the talk about X5 accessories been focused around HS6 stacking kit, I figured to give a quick summary and additional detailed pictures of the rest of the accessories.  All should be available from http://www.miccastore.com/ any day now.

HS8 Silicone rubber case has the same design and quality of material as the included case, but now you have a selection of 4 additional colors, with blue one shown below.

HS11 Back Cover is a minimalistic protection for those who don't want to hide a beauty of brushed metal finish and just want to protect the back and the sides of X5 from scratches. It wraps securely around the player, has clear light tinted sides, matte back finish, and a perfect cutout for volume up/down buttons. This back cover leaves top and bottom of X5 open for a full access to all the ports and power button.

HS9 Leather case has a synthetic smooth finish leather on outside and soft micro-fiber material on inside which protects X5 screen, wheel, and top buttons from scratches. Actually it looks like X5 holder inside of this leather case is a Back Cover securely attached to the case. It has a darker tint than stand alone back cover to match the darker color of the "leather". The cover of the leather case wraps around and closes securely with a magnetic strip. One unique feature of this case is an elongated bump inside the case which aligns with a volume buttons opening of the holder. So while being closed, you can push on outside of the case to change the volume or perform functions assigned to volume buttons.

HS7 Carry case is a dual-layer hard protective case with a double zipper and attached carabiner. The hard shell of the case feels secure enough to be placed in a backpack or carry bag or luggage when you are traveling. Also, it will protect your X5 if you want to clip the case to your backpack. Each inner side of the case has a net-woven pocket, and one additional smaller pocket for your SD cards on the right side. The pockets are generous enough to store X5 with a case, and even has a little bit of room for a short cable. This case makes a perfect companion to carry X5 together with a portable AMP like E12, in E18 (pictured).

Thanks for that! :wink:

May 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #9,626 of 19,652
May 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #9,627 of 19,652
  Eeek!! My X5 keeps getting stuck scanning the library at track number 2820. It's definitely a dodgy track because it's worked flawlessly until now, but I can't work out which track!??

After a bit of hunting I have solved the issue and believe it was a piece of corrupt / missing album art.

I use MediaMonkey for my library management, playback, and syncing and when I looked at the various tracks most recently added to my X5, one of them had multiple art works attached including one that was blank!? I don't know how this happens exactly, but I deleted it and re-synced and now everything seems to be sweet.

May 23, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #9,628 of 19,652
  Eeek!! My X5 keeps getting stuck scanning the library at track number 2820. It's definitely a dodgy track because it's worked flawlessly until now, but I can't work out which track!??

You can start by using just one of the sd cards, and see which card works, and which doesn't. Once you've identified which card contains the culprit file, try locating any new files you've added recently(presumably the old ones are alright since it was able to process them before). Any long filenames or paths, or strange symbols in the new files? If not try re-doing the tags of the new files. I don't have any other ideas right now...

edit:

After a bit of hunting I have solved the issue and believe it was a piece of corrupt / missing album art.

I use MediaMonkey for my library management, playback, and syncing and when I looked at the various tracks most recently added to my X5, one of them had multiple art works attached including one that was blank!? I don't know how this happens exactly, but I deleted it and re-synced and now everything seems to be sweet.

I just saw your latest post, great that you solved your problem :)

May 23, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #9,629 of 19,652

Artwork can be evil :veryevil:

May 23, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #9,630 of 19,652

You can start by using just one of the sd cards, and see which card works, and which doesn't. Once you've identified which card contains the culprit file, try locating any new files you've added recently(presumably the old ones are alright since it was able to process them before). Any long filenames or paths, or strange symbols in the new files? If not try re-doing the tags of the new files. I don't have any other ideas right now...

edit:

I just saw your latest post, great that you solved your problem :)

No worries - thanks for your concern and attention though
beerchug.gif

Artwork can be evil
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes it can, but I'm actually loving the process of working through my library (27,000 tracks across 2,200 albums) to tidy up artwork. Some of it includes the multi-size artwork originally embedded by iTunes to support the various thumbnail requirements for iTunes / iPod use. I haven't used iTunes for >3-4 years so it is a well-overdue tidy up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back