The Fiio X5 Thread
May 20, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #9,496 of 19,652
Not sure if this is a bug, has been mentioned (not going to trawl through 634 pages to find out!) or otherwise, however - if using OTG, and leaving it connected (Meenova for example) and having 'resume play' on whilst playing back from either SD slot, the player 'loses' OTG ("no music found") when turning the player back on - only way to get it back is to stop playback, turn off the player, and turn it back on again (removing and reinserting your OTG device whilst powered on does not seem to work)...

Seems a strange quirk, but don't want to bugzilla it - incase it is a problem unique to me...

If anyone else can replicate (or not, as the case may be!) this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

May 20, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #9,497 of 19,652
Yes, that's a possibility, but I'm not much onto DIY. I would like the E12 to have balance control, or the X5 line out to not disable such functionality. Most people develop a slight hearing difference in their ears with the years. I think any well-designed music listening device should have a balance control. The E12 does not have one, unfortunately, and I believe it should be a minor and cheap modification for Fiio to make.

For what it's worth, I returned my E12 because there is no balance when using the X5 line out.

My hearing is slightly imbalanced so I would like to see some balance control on the X5 line out.

Short rant over and fingers crossed that a firmware upgrade will give me this.

May 20, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #9,499 of 19,652
Not sure if this is a bug, has been mentioned (not going to trawl through 634 pages to find out!) or otherwise, however - if using OTG, and leaving it connected (Meenova for example) and having 'resume play' on whilst playing back from either SD slot, the player 'loses' OTG ("no music found") when turning the player back on - only way to get it back is to stop playback, turn off the player, and turn it back on again (removing and reinserting your OTG device whilst powered on does not seem to work)...

Seems a strange quirk, but don't want to bugzilla it - incase it is a problem unique to me...

If anyone else can replicate (or not, as the case may be!) this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have to agree, when playing a file from the Meenove the X5 does not remember the last position when turned back on.

May 20, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #9,500 of 19,652
That's an advantage of rockboxable devices: you can fix this issue very easily....

If it's possible, I would love to have Rockbox on my X5 as I use it on my Clip Zip and find it very good.

May 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #9,502 of 19,652

E12 comes well before X5 (and X3, for the matter), so you shouldn't expect it have a balance control, by your logic. Plus, balance control using full analog circuit isn't nearly as easy you as think it is. The reason why it can be implemented on E17, E07K, X3 and X5 is because of the use of hardware volume control chip (in E17, E07K and X3) or digital volume control (via X5 SoC). On the other hand, E12, which is designed to be as high a performance as it can be as an analog amp in order to appeal to the purist (*implying those who put performance over feature), doesn't have the balance control is, at least to my eyes, not illogical. Just look around, how many TOTL portable amps do you know have a balance control? FiiO even strongly consider to leave out the crossfeed feature on the next E12 reversion as they have learned from the E12DIY project that it can improve the performance. So, what is 'very important functionality' is really a matter of opinion, and no one is wrong on that matter. You might think it is important because you need it, but FiiO might think it is barely used feature from the feedback of most other user.

I do agree FiiO should label it clearly about the difference between headphone-out vs. LO, and you are not wrong to rant about it. I have ranted about the EQ on iPod causing distortion too, but I don't think Apple has intentionally came out its way to deceive me about their useless EQ. I have ranted about iriver ridiculous pricing on their AK series as well, but I am not going to keep posting hate post about iriver (consider I used to be a big iriver fan a decade ago). I have plenty of IEM that don't quite live up to their price tag as well, and I will tell people what I think about them. However, I think everyone in HF (or in life) has overpaid somethings or gotten something not up to expectation. But to keep holding grudges will be a terrible way to live. So I'll say you should by all mean rant about it, but remember to move on.

well said

May 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #9,503 of 19,652
I was really excited to receive my X5 and then massively disappointed in the product.  I returned it, got a refund and moved on to better.  Thats about all you can do really.  No point worrying or getting mad.

May 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #9,505 of 19,652
I've listened for the past 10 days with Westone UM3X's, and Ultimate Ear UE-900's.   Sounds great on both. 

I have the option of using an outboard amplifier, a Leckerton or Practical Devices, and haven't found the need yet.

Steve 

+1 on the UE900. Love the sound.

I'm planning on going the "dynamic driver" route soon, just to mix things up a bit. To that end, I'm looking at the RHA MA750. Anyone here tried these iems? Do they pair we'll with the X5?

FYI, all my music are in FLAC, direct HO from my X5.

Appreciate if someone who's tried the MA750 would share their experience with it.

May 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #9,506 of 19,652
Hi All,

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and my setup is X5+E12 and I really love it. I just found a carrying case fit it perfectly for out and about transport thought you might like it. The X5 and E12 are double taped together.

Cheers

[/IMG]

May 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #9,507 of 19,652

E12 comes well before X5 (and X3, for the matter), so you shouldn't expect it have a balance control, by your logic. Plus, balance control using full analog circuit isn't nearly as easy you as think it is. The reason why it can be implemented on E17, E07K, X3 and X5 is because of the use of hardware volume control chip (in E17, E07K and X3) or digital volume control (via X5 SoC). On the other hand, E12, which is designed to be as high a performance as it can be as an analog amp in order to appeal to the purist (*implying those who put performance over feature), doesn't have the balance control is, at least to my eyes, not illogical. Just look around, how many TOTL portable amps do you know have a balance control? FiiO even strongly consider to leave out the crossfeed feature on the next E12 reversion as they have learned from the E12DIY project that it can improve the performance. So, what is 'very important functionality' is really a matter of opinion, and no one is wrong on that matter. You might think it is important because you need it, but FiiO might think it is barely used feature from the feedback of most other user.

I do agree FiiO should label it clearly about the difference between headphone-out vs. LO, and you are not wrong to rant about it. I have ranted about the EQ on iPod causing distortion too, but I don't think Apple has intentionally came out its way to deceive me about their useless EQ. I have ranted about iriver ridiculous pricing on their AK series as well, but I am not going to keep posting hate post about iriver (consider I used to be a big iriver fan a decade ago). I have plenty of IEM that don't quite live up to their price tag as well, and I will tell people what I think about them. However, I think everyone in HF (or in life) has overpaid somethings or gotten something not up to expectation. But to keep holding grudges will be a terrible way to live. So I'll say you should by all mean rant about it, but remember to move on.

You are a very logical person, and you sure know how to discuss things without throwing ad hominems to the other party. Thank you for that. And yes, I will move on, of course.

May 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #9,508 of 19,652
Hopefully they can make it a possibility for those who need it
smily_headphones1.gif

And those who need it are counted by the thousands, and they are not afraid to pay very well for that in this demand-driven market. I would easily pay an extra 50 dollars for an E12 with balance control. Perhaps even more than that. I hope some manufacturer is reading this.

May 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #9,509 of 19,652
For what it's worth, I returned my E12 because there is no balance when using the X5 line out.

My hearing is slightly imbalanced so I would like to see some balance control on the X5 line out.

Short rant over and fingers crossed that a firmware upgrade will give me this.

You can stop crossing your fingers before they go numb. Fiio responded me that they won't fix that in any future firmware update. They didn't say if it's because they can't or because they don't want to, but they won't.
What a perfect portable audio combination would an X5+E12 with balance control would have been...

May 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #9,510 of 19,652
Hi All,

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and my setup is X5+E12 and I really love it. I just found a carrying case fit it perfectly for out and about transport thought you might like it. The X5 and E12 are double taped together.

Cheers

[attach]1110981[/attach]
[attach]1110982[/attach]
[attach]1110983[/attach]
[attach]1110984[/attach]
[attach]1110985[/attach]
[attach]1110986[/attach]
[attach]1110987[/attach][/quote]

Can you provide a link to this case? I can't find it online, but it looks like it would work great for the gym!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back