The Fiio X5 Thread
May 17, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #9,361 of 19,652
The X5 reminds me of the old saying;

What came 1st, the chicken or the egg.

It certainly looks like some headfiers are purchasing the X5 only to be disappointed with the SQ with their existing headphones. That or getting used to the neutral/clinical sound of the X5. Speaking for myself I use no EQ at all. Zilch. As a former bass head I have to say again it did not take me long to "re-train" my ears. Then again the X5 may excel with certain genres. I'm listening to a lot of smooth jazz and blues atm and I gotta say right now I am happy as a pig in merde.

Sooner or later though I'm going to spark up a doobie and find myself listening to some Rush or Marilyn Manson for example and might find myself disappointed with the NAD's or indeed the X5 with this type of music although I doubt the latter.

One thing for sure about headfiers is eventually we end up with multiple configurations (and lighter wallets) and certainlty more than one set of cans to suit our moods and genres. Take me for example. 9 years ago I was using a 4th gen iPod classic with the stock ear buds and thought I was in Nirvana. How things have changed. When somebody comes up with a dap and headphones to suit all genres and all musical SQ tates then perhaps the world will beat a path to their door. The reality is though that this is an exercise in futility as everybody's ears are different.

May 17, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #9,362 of 19,652
Now, speaking of multiple configs would love to hear from somebody who has paired the X5 with the Denon AH-D600's for say rock metal as I'm torn between those and say the M100's. 

Christ, I'm already thinking of another set of cans!!

May 17, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #9,364 of 19,652
Um, does the X5 have a "song info" feature like the X3 has? I thought it'd be in the X5's "quick menu", but I don't see it there.

Unfortunately, no it doesn't.

May 17, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #9,366 of 19,652
Not saying you listen to anything. Just pointing out what I see as different strategies from iDevices you're comparing and high resolution music players. Your piano, guitar and vocal references are what I like on the X5 and what seem fake to me on the iDevices. I went down the exact same road where at first I preferred the iPhones and iPods and iPads, but giving it some time I can't go back. These things I would attribute to the DAC and its implementation as well as the way they can reveal what exists in the source music.

I did point out that the e12 is what I prefer to listen with so perhaps the X5 amp isn't powerful enough for you and doesn't provide enough soundstage or oomph. This is where the amp will fill out the sound if the source is good.

The loudness wars isn't just about loudness, it's about compressing the dynamic range in music so the smallest details (life, realism) are lost. The decay of a symbol, the vibration of the guitar string, the fade of a piano key, the difference between a whisper and belting out the vocals. I'd recommend the "Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc" on HD TRACKS if you haven't already heard it. There is a section of tracks comparing dynamic compression with clean recordings. I hear a big difference. This trend towards dynamic compression in the recordings doesn't just apply to modern day crap-pop music either. A lot of folk, rock, singer/songwriter and soundtrack scores are heavily dynamically compressed. The X5 shows the differences clearly unlike the iDevices.

Just like with video, Standard Definition content looks like crap on an HD TV. SD content looks fine on a standard definition tv, but the HD TV shows it's weakness.

Trying to help here. Sorry if you read any differently.

Edit: In response to "what am I listening to?" it isn't anything that was poorly mastered. The pursuit of high end audio has ruined me for that and to a degree that makes me sad, but I just can't listen anymore if it doesn't sound lifelike or was recorded poorly. Classical, folk, classic rock, current rock, pop, soundtracks, jazz, whatever. If it's good I'll listen.

Sorry.. I know txt sometimes can get misunderstood.  I'm just trying to set the level field... Let's hope that when we are critiquing the X5, we aren't using tracks from artists that use auto tune, or lots of synths.  

I just really want to like the x5... and I am open to the fact that perhaps the re600 is not the right pairing... 

May 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #9,367 of 19,652
Um, does the X5 have a "song info" feature like the X3 has? I thought it'd be in the X5's "quick menu", but I don't see it there.

On this topic (and I know there other functionalities pending for the X5) it would be great to have more information about the song and also about an album. It would be nice to see album total length, year and other information.

For example, once inside an album (only on library mode) after the last song could be an "information" item that displays this info.

Also, the tracking of most played songs, recently added would be a power function.

With firmware 2.0 the SQ is there, a few bugs to iron, adding playlist seems like the next step, but no reason to stop there. A DAP in 2014 should offer metadata information IMHO.

Pimp my library some would call it :wink:

May 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #9,369 of 19,652
Right now im using a pair of Klipsch X7's. Im thinking of an upgrade and want to get some IEMs that pair well with the X5. Im thinking of a price range around 200-300$. Has anyone listened to the X5 with Shure SE425's? Any other suggestions?

May 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #9,370 of 19,652
Right now im using a pair of Klipsch X7's. Im thinking of an upgrade and want to get some IEMs that pair well with the X5. Im thinking of a price range around 200-300$. Has anyone listened to the X5 with Shure SE425's? Any other suggestions?
you looking for closed, open or IEM's?

May 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #9,372 of 19,652
May 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #9,373 of 19,652

I have tried the Klipsch image X10i, with poor result. To my surprise, the cheaper fidelio S2 (half the price from Philips) was a much better match with the X5. I am a bit confused now. I am still looking for better IEM's but dont know what to look for...

Pardon my English, i'm Norwegian
wink.gif

Edit: Philips Fidelio S2 are half-open IEM's!

May 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #9,374 of 19,652
I have tried the Klipsch image X10i, with poor result. To my surprise, the cheaper fidelio S2 (half the price from Philips) was a much better match with the X5. I am a bit confused now. I am still looking for better IEM's but dont know what to look for...

Pardon my English, i'm Norwegian :wink:  

Edit: Philips Fidelio S2 are open IEM's!
I really like my SM64...but they are not very efficient. Let me try them without an amp. I got them for 300 used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back