The Fiio X5 Thread
May 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #9,227 of 19,652
May 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #9,228 of 19,652
  How much background noise can you guys hear with the X5? Is it a black background?  

I use X5 + E12-DIY with Etimotics HF5 most of the time (sometime Grado SR60 or Beyer DT770 250ohm) and all my tracks have a completely black background (except the ones with background noise as part of the track obviously)

I use low gain on both the X5 and E12-DIY for the HF5 and SR60 and I use high gain on the E12-DIY only for the DT770 250 ohm.

The HF5 being in the upper range in terms of sensitivity I would assume that if any hiss was present I would hear it.

I listen to my music at a level that completely cover outside noises in the streets of an urban residential area so I would say that it's sufficiently loud but not deafening.

I know everyone's "normal" use is not the same, I hope this helps you understand my experience with the X5+E12-DIY combo. I assume that the sound coming out of the X5 will be a close match to what I'm experiencing.

May 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #9,229 of 19,652
  How much background noise can you guys hear with the X5? Is it a black background?  

No background noise or hiss at all. On any of my 10+ headphones. I do believe that this comes with a cost in amp power, somehow. I have to use a higher volume on the X5 than the one I use on other DAPs.
I think the X5 sound is what Hi-Fi is all about: neutral, pure, detailed, controlled, etc. But also boring and lifeless; simply not a fun sound if you are coming from a DAP that "enhances" the sound too much. I'm surely suffering the transition, but I will endure it and see if this audiophile, no-EQ world is for me or not.

May 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #9,231 of 19,652
Like being in a coal bunker. At night. Midnight.

May 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #9,233 of 19,652
I think I'll keep the X5 afterall.

Now that I solved my crashing issues by cleaning up my tags, it really is a wonderful device.
I personally find the sound quality to be brilliant albeit some seem to disagree but the max theoretical storage of 1.5TB is a market leading feature and no one can deny that.

2x 256GB MicroSD (once they come out, Fiio claims they will be supported)
1x 1TB Usb Stick via OTG storage (Patrot 1TB sticks have been announced, video on NCIX youtube page)

1.5TB of music in your pocket. Cool stuff

May 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #9,234 of 19,652
Is the X5 supposed to be turned on when you charge it? I was always under the assumption that it was "semi" turned on but when I tapped the power button again at the charging animation screen it suddenly just went straight to the main menu.

May 14, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #9,236 of 19,652
  No background noise or hiss at all. On any of my 10+ headphones. I do believe that this comes with a cost in amp power, somehow. I have to use a higher volume on the X5 than the one I use on other DAPs.
I think the X5 sound is what Hi-Fi is all about: neutral, pure, detailed, controlled, etc. But also boring and lifeless; simply not a fun sound if you are coming from a DAP that "enhances" the sound too much. I'm surely suffering the transition, but I will endure it and see if this audiophile, no-EQ world is for me or not.

The X3 has more fun and not boring sound??? if not which dap recommend for fun sound ??? and why somebody like the accurate and not detailed sound instead a fun??
I'm asking that because i never heard a neutral, pure, detail if you know what i mean.
i always listen from source that gave color to the sound, pure and neutral mean flat sound???

Thanks a lot

i bought the focal spirit pro and wait for the delivery

May 14, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #9,239 of 19,652
Has anyone picked up the HS7 hard case for X5 + E12? If so, what do you think?

Yes, I have. It's really just a case, nothing special. They both fit, but not much else will go in there. The fiio supplied interconnect that comes with the e12 has problems fitting because of the right-angled connectors. A straight interconnect (like the one with the HS6 stacking kit) would fit much better, sliding down the side of the e12.

So, I still carry another small bag with interconnect, bands and whatnot. (These all go into my much larger bag, which also carries full size cans). If this sounds negative to you, it's not meant to be. The case is light, small, sturdy and cheap. Does the job, but has no wiggle room.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back