The Fiio X5 Thread
May 7, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #8,776 of 19,652
FW doesn't change the physical properties of the DAC or AMP in any way, shape or form. AFAIK the difference in sound going from one FW to another, was done by Fiio from EQ just by switching the 0db value higher or lower for certain frequencies. Unless they have deep level access to more EQ steps/frequencies, you can achieve the same exact results. Would probably require 2 X5 units A-B testing back to back on different FW's to get it just right though. But once someone does it, share the settings so we may all benefit =P

May 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #8,777 of 19,652
Of course it doesn't change the hardware, but I really don't want to adjust EQ settings to try and match what they've done when a quick reload of the FW can be done (and there is only one custom EQ setting). They definitely have been tinkering with the sound along the way. Not saying one is better or worse, just sharing my observations. :wink:

May 7, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #8,778 of 19,652
just got my x5 after a tough month and half wait from mp4nation. First impressions are pretty good. I agree that the scroll weel is a little flimsy. Other than that this thing feels solid. I am loading music onto the cards right now. I will update you on sound when i have a time to listen. I am upgrading from an ipod touch so this should be interesting. In the meantime im enjoying the e12. Gives life back into my ipod.

May 7, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #8,779 of 19,652
more first impressions: i really like the screen and the UI. I think Fiio did a great job. I actually like it better than the ipods music app UI. I never really liked the ipods music app. Idk why. I havent used it outside so i dont know if the screen suffers in sunlight yet. So far i think Fiio did an amazing job.

May 7, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #8,780 of 19,652
Ok so I've loaded some music on the x5 and I have given it a listen. I am running fw2.0. Keep in mind that im coming from an ipod touch 4g with no amping. Ok so the sound of the x5 is AMAZING! And to think its not even burned in yet. I dont understand the people saying that there is no bass. It has just the right amount. Its has really good details. I am listening to some ambient/piano music from an artist named Exist Strategy. Its in 16 / 44.1 flac. I am in music heaven right now. Thanks Fiio!

May 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #8,781 of 19,652
So I've reverted to FW 1.20 and no track skipping for me after 2 hours of listening now, I'm going to stay with this for now until a new FW gets released, sound quality is very similar but I do feel like FW 2.0 was a bit of a step up for my low-res files, but either way I'm happy to have stability back. Back to enjoying my X5 again!

May 7, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #8,783 of 19,652
  So I've reverted to FW 1.20 and no track skipping for me after 2 hours of listening now, I'm going to stay with this for now until a new FW gets released, sound quality is very similar but I do feel like FW 2.0 was a bit of a step up for my low-res files, but either way I'm happy to have stability back. Back to enjoying my X5 again!

Did you try re-loading 2.0? It might have been a glitched install.

May 7, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #8,784 of 19,652

I'd suggest FW 1.23 beta if you like using gapless. On 1.20 there is still a slight gap between songs and 1.23 beta is quite stable with gapless working flawlessly. Switching tracks is also smoother on 1.23 beta vs 1.20.

Glad to hear that your back to enjoying your X5.

Edit: Or, what Loquah just said.

May 7, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #8,785 of 19,652
I switched back to 1.23 beta and yes, there is a definite increase in bass quantity. However it is also less controlled. I find FW 2.0 to be more articulate with more PRAT. Debating whether I'll keep it installed as it does add some nice thump to the new XC's, which can sound a bit thin sometimes.

I agree. And while I did not spend too much time confirming this, It seemed to me that the extra bass in 1.23beta was in DAP mode only, not USB mode. The bass in 1.23beta USB, 2.0 DAP and 2.0 USB are all the same, I believe, and it are correct for the hardware, not boosted in software and slightly bloated.

May 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #8,786 of 19,652
I agree. And while I did not spend too much time confirming this, It seemed to me that the extra bass in 1.23beta was in DAP mode only, not USB mode. The bass in 1.23beta USB, 2.0 DAP and 2.0 USB are all the same, I believe, and it are correct for the hardware, not boosted in software and slightly bloated.

So I take it you prefer 2.0? Just curious.

May 7, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #8,788 of 19,652
MP3tag.

The way i name them, which works in chronological order per artist:

%Artist% - %year% - %album% %discnumber%$num(%track%,2) - %trackname%

Which creates the following:

Pink Floyd - 1973 - the Dark Side of the Moon - 104 - Time.flac

It's a long filename, but it works.

I have no problem whatsoever with skipping track's or library read.

I formatted my Samsung 32GB and Sandisk 64Gb ultra using "SD Formatter for SD/SDHC/SDXC" on Windows 7

These are my settings for the id3 tags.

I am using MP3 tag and use the following format for all my flac's
folders \%Artist%\%album%\%$num(%track%,2) - %title%.flac

and %albumartist% = %artist%

e.g \Pink Floyd\The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Edition) HD\04 – Time.flac

All files have embedded art, sometimes one sometimes multiple images, all around 500x500 pix.

I only noticed one strange thing (not impacting music play)
I had one file with two artist tags
1) TPE1 "Youg, Niel"
2) Artist="Niel Young"

MP3 Tag only reads the 2nd tag and cannot change the TPE1 tag.
The X5 used the first tag (TPE1) for its library.

F2 0 (Main menu wheel rotation reverse, see page 563 of this forum)

May 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #8,789 of 19,652
May 7, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #8,790 of 19,652
So any word on a track skipping fix in the pipeline? Nothing I do seems to work, this is basically useless until it's fixed.

It might be a long shot! But have you tried taking both cards out then do a library update (this will clear out the database) then reinstall the cards and library update again.

I have read somewhere that the library can get confused.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back