The Fiio X5 Thread
May 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,762 of 19,652
I managed to solve the constant crashing issues on my X5 I believe. It was crashing every 10 to 30 minutes. Now, it has been playing non stop for 5 hours without a single crash =)

I am not sure which of these two solutions fixed it, but am too busy enjoying my X5 for the first time to try and replicate the issue as the first three days of ownership it was plagued with crashes. 

Most probable - I had formatted the MicroSD card from PC using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool prior to flashing the firmware file. I strongly believe this is what caused the issues. The fix was to simply format the MicroSD from the X5 menu, dropped the firmware file back on and reinstalled the firmware.

-note: Initially I tried to format from the X5 menu before putting my music back on. This did not fix my problem at all. The whole point is that while the firmware is flashing it needs to be from a MicroSD card that was formatted via X5 menu

Least probable -USB or dropped packet issues. When I downloaded the firmware today, it was at work on a fiber connection and also on my work laptop as opposed to my home desktop from which I first set up the X5. On my home PC (Asus RIVE motherboard) I've had the USB ports not detect a device before, which was 100% fine after plugging in again. I'm a licensed tech and am quite familiar with troubleshooting but I was never able to replicate any issues. I also don't install ANY motherboard drivers from my motherboard manufacturer as it increases DPC latency as per my testing. 

May 6, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #8,764 of 19,652
So any word on a track skipping fix in the pipeline? Nothing I do seems to work, this is basically useless until it's fixed.

May 6, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #8,771 of 19,652
Does anyone know if there's a way to use the OTG function on the X5 to, say, access a flash drive while at the same time charging the X5? I've seen a very few cables that purport to allow this for certain Sony & Samsung models but I haven't seen anything for just a generic micro-USB port. The reason I'm asking is that I like to play my X5 overnight and would like to be able to hook up a flash drive, but that consumes more power (especially if I play 24 bit FLAC files...) & I can't charge the X5 with a flash drive in the micro USB slot. Any ideas?

May 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,772 of 19,652
  Thank you to whoever said that fw 1.23 had more bass than fw 2.0.  You are absolutely correct, the rumble is back!  Being the noob that I am, I went straight to fw 2.0 when I got my x5, assuming that the fw changes nothing with sound.

Now my x5 is perfect.  I am super satisfied and won't upgrade my fw anymore even if the next fw update gives you a 3rd ear.

glad to know im not hearing things. but just concerned with staying on 1.23 with the bugs just for the rumble. :frowning2:

May 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #8,774 of 19,652
I switched back to 1.23 beta and yes, there is a definite increase in bass quantity. However it is also less controlled. I find FW 2.0 to be more articulate with more PRAT. Debating whether I'll keep it installed as it does add some nice thump to the new XC's, which can sound a bit thin sometimes.

May 7, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #8,775 of 19,652
I still don't understand why people don't just use the easiest and most stable route to format their cards.

Format with the player people.

Fiio really should make this a massive point in their documentation and they would avoid a lot of support issues.

Edit: Also, the card should be formatted first, before any FW updates or music is transferred. Then, update the library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back