The Fiio X5 Thread
May 6, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #8,701 of 19,652
Not sure about the compression on the files, the majority of them were purchased from HDTracks and ripped to the player as is though, in FLAC format and mostly 24/96 though a few 24/192, 24/88, etc.

I will post a video tomorrow night to show what's going on, it is basically unusable for me in its current state, which is sad because I was really loving this player up until now.

May 6, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #8,703 of 19,652
@goldendarko: Do your files have embedded artwork? If, so try making it smaller less than 1,000 x 1,000 pixels with a tag editor to see if large artwork is eating up memory and causing the skipping.

No I removed the artwork files. Just music with no pictures to make room for more music

May 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #8,704 of 19,652
  Is anybody having track skipping issues? What started out as a minor annoyance has turned into a full blown issue for me, and I am  not sure at this point if I have a defective unit that needs to be returned, or perhaps returning to FW 1.20 would be the best bet as I was not having this issue before. It albums almost every time I use the X5 now, on almost any album, I just started playing Grand Funk Railroad's Closer to Home album and after finishing the 1st track it started playing 1-2 seconds of the following songs on the album before finally playing the 8th and final song on the album completely. This is getting to be very annoying, can someone please advise what I should do here.

I don't have an X5 (yet) but my X3 does this occasionally and a quick reset is all that is needed to sort it out. Have you tried a reset?

One other time I managed to get into this state by corrupting my SD card (the cable fell out in the middle of a transfer). Unfortunately the fix for that was reformatting the card and copying my music all over again - try the reset first, if you haven't already!

May 6, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #8,705 of 19,652
Do you mean a full system reset? I had been turning it off and back on and that worked well enough for a while, but now it still skips even after restarting it.

May 6, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #8,706 of 19,652
Do you mean a full system reset? I had been turning it off and back on and that worked well enough for a while, but now it still skips even after restarting it.

On the X3 usually it is enough to hold the power button for >20s, but sometimes I have to get a paper-clip and push the reset button. IIRC there is a menu item which does some kind of reset as well, but I've never had to use that (I don't have my X3 to hand, but I think that one removes all your settings as well as restarting the device - I haven't had to go beyond the paper-clip reset...yet).

May 6, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8,707 of 19,652
  Is anybody having track skipping issues? What started out as a minor annoyance has turned into a full blown issue for me, and I am  not sure at this point if I have a defective unit that needs to be returned, or perhaps returning to FW 1.20 would be the best bet as I was not having this issue before. It albums almost every time I use the X5 now, on almost any album, I just started playing Grand Funk Railroad's Closer to Home album and after finishing the 1st track it started playing 1-2 seconds of the following songs on the album before finally playing the 8th and final song on the album completely. This is getting to be very annoying, can someone please advise what I should do here.

card maybe?

May 6, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #8,709 of 19,652
The only time I've had that happen was when I tried a 384kbps freeformat mp3 files as an experiment - became stuttery, so could be something where the CPU is working too hard, but - that doesn't explain how DSF files work okay...

Mystery!

May 6, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #8,711 of 19,652
Goldendarko, How much smoke do you see coming from the X5?

In all seriousness maybe you should contact Fiio.

May 6, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #8,712 of 19,652
  The same thing happened to me, coming from a Cowon Z2+Neutron Player. The sound of the Cowon is so colored, so boosted, that the flat, normal sound of the X5 seems boring and anemic. But, if you give your brain time to adjust, you will start to find the details, the nuanced sounds, the diminishing need to heavily equalize the music.

I guess those are the pains of the rite of passage to the audiophile world. Most audiophiles, whatever that really means, like normal, balanced, unadulterated sound, and few use the equalizer for more than to tame the flaws on some frequency bands of the headphones.

Do not return the X5 until you have used it for a few days.

Though I was happy with stock Fw 1.2, upgrading to Fw 2.0 has, to my ears, increased the bass.

May 6, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #8,713 of 19,652
  Has anyone tried the X5 with Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones? I'm wondering how good a pairing that would be.
I'm very impressed by the way these obviously quality-built phones are able to collapse into a very portable condition, while supplying what I have read to be very quality sound and excellent build quality. I am thinking of getting a pair of these after I get my X5 in about a month, so I'd appreciate if anybody here has experience with the phones or the pairing with the X5.
Just as a reminder for those who don't know, I'm quite partial to classical symphony music, though not exclusively.

I don't know about the P7's but I can tell you that, for me, the P5's pair very well. Lovely rich, yet detailed sound. Am listening at the moment to Bach's Violin Concertos- beautiful !

May 6, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #8,714 of 19,652
On the contrary...2.0 seems to have eaten up the bass from my X5

May 6, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #8,715 of 19,652
Hi,

Just a little update for the ones having problems with the player being activated while in the pocket by a long press on the central button, here is the last messages of Fiio to my emails:

Thanks for your mail and support to FiiO!

OK,
we have submited this suggestion to our software engineers. We will pay serious attention to this suggestion.
Sincerely hope you can continue to support FiiO. Your support always been our biggest motivation and proud!

More dynamic information about FiiO's products, you can become a fan on our Facebook or log in our official website (fiio.net) to know better.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service

My suggestion was to add a configuration option for just the volume controls activated without any long press activation on any other button.

their last message:

Please note that, to add or modify the firmware needs to take into account many considerations, such as the feasibility, 
the whole market demand, etc. We can't confirm this function will surely be realized, but we will try our best to realize this function

I totally understand that but adding a configuration option shouldn't be so difficult.... Anyway if anyone else (in addition of the other ones) has this problem please write to them or write on this thread as i know they keep an eye on what is written here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back