The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8,071 of 19,652
Seriously? Myself, and a lot of other users, are very happy with the device and for the price (vs sound quality that is delivered) it is very much in line with what should be expected. Just look at the troubles Astell and Kern started out with when the AK100 was released. iBasso has had its fair share of issues as well. Just go on those threads and maybe start slamming every other device out there for the same reasons.

You've been bit(#|ng about Fiio products since you joined. Why not stick with your Sansa Clip.

Oh damn. It's true. Every single post posted is a negative post towards FiiO.

atwaterkent has it ever occurred to you that it might be your micro SD cards that are at fault here, seeing as (almost) no one is reporting problems about them anymore?

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #8,072 of 19,652
  AmazonUK are currently advertising the X5 as being reduced from £450 to £289.99.  I'm disputing this with them, as AFAICT it's always been available for £289.99 in the UK, from both authorised resellers, and in line with the SRP of $350.  But maybe I'm wrong?  Can anyone confirm that this item was previously on sale for £450 from a legitimate reseller, and for a minimum of a month?  I can't find any evidence of this anywhere.  I don't like the fact Amazon are claiming a discount, and I believe it actually breaches UK sale pricing legislation.
Also, they claim it's been available on their site since February 17th, but all the information I can find indicates a UK release date between March and April.  I can't access the Fiio site just now because it's sloooowwww, presumably because of the 2.0 firmware downloaders :)

Amazon have never sold the item directly.  It has been advertised by 2 seperate market place sellers.  Initially EA Audio and subsequently AV Shop.  They both had the same misleading price ticket, showing it as over £400 and reduced to the proper UK price of £289.99p
Neither of them had the stock  to supply.  I ordered via Amazon on 25th March, when EA Audio had the sale advert.  It was showing as pre-ordered.  I subsequently found out that they had sold their initial first round pre-order and the second round was said to be due on 20th April.
I then discovered that EA Audio also advertise on eBay.  Their eBay advert said that the seller was on holiday until 22nd April.  Amazon invited me to cancel my order as the item had not been delivered by the original due date.  I waited about a week and corresponded with EA Audio
via Amazon.  They were quite upfront and said they would quite understand if I wished to cancel.  I discovered from this thread that HI Fi Headphones had a limited amount of stock so I cancelled the order via EA Audio and received it within one day from Hi Fi Headphones.

Credit to EA Audio.  They refunded my purchase price instantly and it was in my bank within one or two days.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #8,073 of 19,652
Hi I was in the same boat - I pre-ordered at the start of the year and got the response from EA to hold on or Amazon would cancel and I kept the faith. My Fiio X5 pitched up last Thursday pretty much as promised :)

It's a big beasty and I'm a bit worried about the longevity of the wheel but otherwise very impressed and I'm sure it's only going to get better :)

B

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #8,074 of 19,652
It's on firmware 2.0.  You're hardly a beta tester.

Thanks for pointing out the blindingly obvious.

People complaining about GETTING updates to their devices' firmware.

Just when you thought you had seen everything...

Why does it need constant updates? It's a Walkman! 21st century may be but that's what it is. Perhaps it's me. I want a simple machine that will play my music via folder navigation. It has to have a good DAC and a solid amplifier. Add in transport & volume controls and it's done. I personally don't understand why that's proving so difficult these days.

And for the record - I'm 49 and have been an "early adopter" since my BBC Micro (look it up) but I still can't image what's so difficult about a personal stereo.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #8,075 of 19,652
Finally decided to buy an X5 today.  Purchased from All About Office through Amazon for a few dollars over list (included shipping though so it was basically list price).  Now the tough wait until it arrives begins.  For anyone looking, All About Office has 4 left in stock for $354.99 including shipping and ProStudio Sound & Music has 7 left in stock for $349 + $10.99 shipping.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #8,076 of 19,652
Why does it need constant updates? It's a Walkman! 21st century may be but that's what it is. Perhaps it's me. I want a simple machine that will play my music via folder navigation. It has to have a good DAC and a solid amplifier. Add in transport & volume controls and it's done. I personally don't understand why that's proving so difficult these days.

And for the record - I'm 49 and have been an "early adopter" since my BBC Micro (look it up) but I still can't image what's so difficult about a personal stereo.

We're not talking about a piece of hardware that simply reads dimples on a platter, or magnetic charges from tape. This is a device which has software settings that communicate with hardware, connects to other hardware to converse with it. It's a computer. Very complex things.

Humans, when learning something, adapt automatically, but these devices can't do that as they lack a consciousness (artificial intelligence), so we must adapt them instead.

If you can make something work with 10 lines of code instead of 15, that's profitable, as it will be faster, needs less resources, etcetera.
That's the reason it requires updates.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #8,077 of 19,652
Oh damn. It's true. Every single post posted is a negative post towards FiiO.

@atwaterkent has it ever occurred to you that it might be your micro SD cards that are at fault here, seeing as (almost) no one is reporting problems about them anymore?

Well the X5 as far as I'm concerned cost about the same as a Ipod touch 64gb and even after my comments about the X5 being tiring to listen to sometimes it still blows the Ipod clean out of the water (in my opinion ).

Arcright 

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #8,078 of 19,652
  Hi I was in the same boat - I pre-ordered at the start of the year and got the response from EA to hold on or Amazon would cancel and I kept the faith. My Fiio X5 pitched up last Thursday pretty much as promised :)

It's a big beasty and I'm a bit worried about the longevity of the wheel but otherwise very impressed and I'm sure it's only going to get better :)

B

@bertha Hi.  I had the exact same experience, as Amazon appear to send a message to the buyer if the item has not been dispatched by the expected date.  I was quite happy with EA Audio and my dealings with them.  I would have stuck with them but when I heard HIFi Headphones had some in, I got impatient and jumped ship.  It was however, a bit naughty of them showing a false price reduction as pointed out by Harryhardcase.  I have not come across any UK sellers advertising them for £450.

I wouldn't worry about the wheel, mine just scrolls smoothly up and down with no problems.  I'm sure you will enjoy it more and more as you use it.  Even my ,mp3's sound good, mostly rock'n'roll from the late 50's and 60's.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #8,079 of 19,652
We're not talking about a piece of hardware that simply reads dimples on a platter, or magnetic charges from tape. This is a device which has software settings that communicate with hardware, connects to other hardware to converse with it. It's a computer. Very complex things.

Humans, when learning something, adapt automatically, but these devices can't do that as they lack a consciousness (artificial intelligence), so we must adapt them instead.

If you can make something work with 10 lines of code instead of 15, that's profitable, as it will be faster, needs less resources, etcetera.
That's the reason it requires updates.

Again, I get it. I am not an idiot. I just don't buy it. With enough capital this is surely not rocket science. I'm not an Apple fan-boy (not by a long shot!) but the iPod worked and continues to work. If Apple supported the flac format & went back to iTunes being a player (rather than a marketplace) I honestly wouldn't be having this discussion. I suspect I am not alone.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #8,080 of 19,652

We get it, you don't like the X5 and you will be seeking some other product. Not sure why you felt a need to share that with those of us who like the X5 and will be sticking with it. Nonetheless, we all heard your message. Not much point in continuing the discussion. Enjoy your alternative choice and goodbye.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #8,081 of 19,652
Again, I get it. I am not an idiot. I just don't buy it. With enough capital this is surely not rocket science. I'm not an Apple fan-boy (not by a long shot!) but the iPod worked and continues to work. If Apple supported the flac format & went back to iTunes being a player (rather than a marketplace) I honestly wouldn't be having this discussion. I suspect I am not alone.

I never said you were, and i never will. I respect you.

The ipod doesn't do a lot that the X3/X5 does, because it has a computer that does it for it, with iTunes.

When you upload music to your ipod, a playlist is created by itunes and is then implemented on the iPod, a lot of audio formats are not supported so that it doesn't get more complicated.

The ipod won't work as a DAC

itunes is the main brain of the ipod, and iTunes gets updates a lot.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #8,082 of 19,652
We get it, you don't like the X5 and you will be seeking some other product. Not sure why you felt a need to share that with those of us who like the X5 and will be sticking with it. Nonetheless, we all heard your message. Not much point in continuing the discussion. Enjoy your alternative choice and goodbye.

Lurk more please?

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #8,083 of 19,652
Question for mac users:

What do you use to organize, tag and add album art to your files?

I went through and added ALL the tags and album artwork to all the music on my iPod (filled ~160gb) and now I need to do it with my FLACs.

I've been using xACT and Tag but it's a huge pain in the ass.

Am I better off ripping all my music BACK off my iPod and just doing a big mass conversion back to FLAC? Will any problems arise from this, or am I better off using my FLAC files and cue sheets (when available)?

Any suggestions... I jsut with I had something like iTunes that could handle FLAC files for organizing and tagging my music!

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #8,084 of 19,652
I use TagScanner (really great !) to tag my musics, and Album Art Downloader (not the best but do the job) for the album arts if i want them, it's really fonctionnal

And foobar2000 to play/organize/transfer (really good to transfer to a DAP, you can choose how it organizes automatically the files and folder in the dap) :wink:

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #8,085 of 19,652

The amount of capital that Apple has the ability to throw into a project and the amount that FiiO can are on two drastically different levels.  While the iPod "worked and continues to", Apple have issued firmware updates all the way back to the original iPod Video days.  Apple, even with all of it's money and engineers are always issuing new firmware and updates for almost all of it products, including some pretty big bugs that slip through the cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back